Brewer Fanatic

Braun questions?

kilgore37

1 Is he going to get enough at bats to qualify for the batting title?

2 would it make sense to move him to the 5 hole now that billy is out and give gwynn some good pitches to hit or move weeks to that spot and see if it gets him out of his slump?

I believe by the end of the year he would. You need 3.1 AB's * your teams games. If he plays every day, he should be really close to that since you get 4 AB's per game and he missed about 1/3 of the season.

I would not move him. Part of his production is because of who is behind him. If you move him to 5, there is noone behind him to protect him. Hes only a rooke, we have to put him in the best place to be productive. and thats at 3.

2 would it make sense to move him to the 5 hole now that billy is out and give gwynn some good pitches to hit or move weeks to that spot and see if it gets him out of his slump?

Where are moving Gywnn to so that he sees good pitches??

Hart is at leadoff, and Hardy needs to stay at 2 so he can see the fastballs.

Weeks would be interesting at 3 but with that wrist not sure he would provide the pop in that spot. Braun has certainly showed belongs in the 3 spot for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The qualification is 3.1 PA/team game played rather than ABs, or 502 plate appearances for 162 games.

Should a player not have enough plate appearances to qualify, additional ABs can be added to a players total until they reach 502 plate appearances. There is an article on Wikipedia that explains it better than I could:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batting_average

Also note that from 1967 to the present, if the player with the highest average in a league fails to meet the minimum plate-appearance requirement, the remaining at-bats until qualification (e.g., 5 ABs, if the player finished the season with 497 plate appearances) are hypothetically considered hitless at-bats; if his recalculated batting average still tops the league, he is awarded the title. (This policy was invoked in 1981, securing Bill Madlock his third NL batting crown, and in 1996, when NL titlist Tony Gwynn finished the year with only 498 PAs.)

Also note that ESPN shows Braun is on pace for 508 plate appearances.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Hopefully Gwynn won't start on a regular basis so there will be no reason to put him at the top of the order. Hart, Hardy, Braun, Fielder, Estrada(yuck!) is the most likely top of the order now given Yost's history.

Let's do everyone a huge favor and leave Gwynn out of this thread. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

JoeHova, when a moderator asks members to do something, please comply.

Can this stuff be done in private?

It's inappropriate in almost any instance, family or business, to take someone to task in front of others. It looks like grandstanding, causes embarrassment and almost never delivers the appropriate impact because of all the other unnecessary issues that must be first overcome. I don't understand why it is common practice here.

That said...I think this is a great place...I just don't understand why this is common practice at brewerfan.net.

Respectfully....foam

Remember the discussion on Braun in spring training?

Many thought he wouldn't hit enough to make up for his defense. Others thought he needed a full year in AAA.

I mentioned in wanting Braun up that David Wright made it big as a younger guy than Braun. Somebody responded that guys like Wright don't come along very often.

No, guys like Braun don't come along very often.

Quote:
JoeHova, when a moderator asks members to do something, please comply.

If your comment is deemed OK, the next ten Gwynn comments have to be deemed OK. We already have a thread dedicated to discussing Gwynn.

It was just a joke. I guess I should have used the blue font.

It's inappropriate in almost any instance, family or business, to take someone to task in front of others. It looks like grandstanding, causes embarrassment and almost never delivers the appropriate impact because of all the other unnecessary issues that must be first overcome. I don't understand why it is common practice here.

Agreed 100%, it seems counterproductive.

Can this stuff be done in private?
The alternative is to edit or delete posts. Leaving a post sitting there 'as is' without commenting, editing, or deleting is an invitation for more of the same.

Believe me, the mods use PMs a lot. Had this been a 'strike' situation, it would have been "required" to send one.

The alternative is to edit or delete posts. Leaving a post sitting there 'as is' without commenting, editing, or deleting is an invitation for more of the same.

I am pretty sure that there are plenty of other alternatives.

Believe me, the mods use PMs a lot. Had this been a 'strike' situation, it would have been "required" to send one.

Fair enough, it hardly seemed a situation at all.

I am done.

It has been fun, sincere thanks to all.

Think of how good the Brewers start would have been with him in the line-up from the start. Sheesh!

And think of how much more money he would get as a Super 2. Not having Braun for 2 months could save the Brewers $10M. While not quite 25% for 15 min, it is still an impressive savings.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

It's close to 100% likely that Ryan will get super-two money. Remember that super-two directly affects one contract: the contract that's signed for a player's third season.

Whether it was the team's intention or not, keeping Ryan in the minors delayed his ability to declare free agency for a year.

Archived