Brewer Fanatic

What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?

Whether it was Stearns as GM and Arnold as Assistant GM, or Stearns as PoBO and GM with Arnold as assistant, or as it is now with Stearns as PoBO and Arnold as GM, I don't think much in the way the team actually operates is different.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, new plan for the offense...

Trades:

OF/1B Trey Mancini for 2021 MLB Draft Competitive Balance Pick and SS Freddy Zamora

IF Eduardo Escobar for Victor Castenada and cash

2021 POSITION PLAYERS

LF: Yelich (L)

CF: Cain

RF: Garcia / Mancini

Backup OF: McKinney (L)

1B: Mancini / Vogelbach (L)

2B: Hiura

SS: Urias / Arcia

3B: Escobar (S) / Robertson

C: Narvaez (L) / Piña

Lineup vs RHP

Cain - CF

Yelich (L) - LF

Mancini - RF

Vogelbach (L) - 1B

Hiura - 2B

Escobar (S) - 3B

Narvaez (L) - C

Arcia - SS

Lineup vs LHP

Cain - CF

Yelich (L) - LF

Mancini - 1B

Hiura - 2B

Garcia - RF

Escobar (S) - 3B (or Robertson)

Piña - C

Urias - SS

Not just “at Night” anymore.

All this frustration is setting in. It's going to be funny come October when we look back at the numbers and see that Daniel Robertson finished with a higher .OPS than Arenado. :laughing :laughing

Gallows humor? Lets assume June 1 is the day they can open up the park to an unlimited amount of fans. How many tickets will they be able to sell if their already a dozen games behind and many people still scared to be in crowds and looking for any excuse to avoid them? The division was there for the taking. Maybe not so much now, but ownership isn't doing anything to excite fans back to the stadium.

All this frustration is setting in. It's going to be funny come October when we look back at the numbers and see that Daniel Robertson finished with a higher .OPS than Arenado. :laughing :laughing

Gallows humor? Lets assume June 1 is the day they can open up the park to an unlimited amount of fans. How many tickets will they be able to sell if their already a dozen games behind and many people still scared to be in crowds and looking for any excuse to avoid them? The division was there for the taking. Maybe not so much now, but ownership isn't doing anything to excite fans back to the stadium.

Agreed. Wholeheartedly. The Brewers could have done something ... anything ... to really excite this fanbase going into a 2021 season that will hopefully welcome fans back. They most assuredly have not done that, though. At all. I am actually less excited about this team now than I was at any time watching that boring, milquetoast team they put on the field in 2020.

I expected the team to go a different route than they did last year, where they decided to fill holes with lower priced veterans. I was hoping they'd swing for the fences a little more, with either some big trades to bring in some new blood, or a big signing or two. But instead they've done practically nothing so far other than add more utility infield-types to this squad, and it's gotten to the point of being depressing. I'm sure at some point I'll start talking myself into Daniel Robertson, but I am most assuredly not there yet.

Agreed. Wholeheartedly. The Brewers could have done something ... anything ... to really excite this fanbase going into a 2021 season that will hopefully welcome fans back. They most assuredly have not done that, though. At all. I am actually less excited about this team now than I was at any time watching that boring, milquetoast team they put on the field in 2020.

I expected the team to go a different route than they did last year, where they decided to fill holes with lower priced veterans. I was hoping they'd swing for the fences a little more, with either some big trades to bring in some new blood, or a big signing or two. But instead they've done practically nothing so far other than add more utility infield-types to this squad, and it's gotten to the point of being depressing. I'm sure at some point I'll start talking myself into Daniel Robertson, but I am more assuredly not there yet.

I'm hoping not to see you lecturing any posters in the near future about being negative and disappoiinted in what has transpired this off season. If you are ""allowed" to make a post like that, I don't think you have any room to ridicule those who doon't feel good about what has happened to this point.

Actually, welcome to reality... At some point, we all get beaten down, looks like you are reaching that point.

Yep ... you're right. I've carried water for this organization for years, and have come off as a jerk here often in doing it. I apologize for that. I talked myself into the moves they made last year, and those for the most part failed. I figured they'd come into this offseason with a different philosophy, but it's just been more of the same.

I'm far from done with this team, and I know I'll still probably remain more optimistic than most about this team's chances, but I definitely see the other side now more than ever.

That said, the phrase "dumpster diving" still really grates on me. To me, the only "dumpster dive" the Brewers actually did last year was Gyorko, and that ended up working out.

These last two offseasons put more of an onus on this team drafting and developing their own position player talent. We have done infinitely better under Stearns in terms of pitching development but other than Hiura we have whiffed big time in regards to position player development.

Yep ... you're right. I've carried water for this organization for years

How many times are you going to say this? You're a fan on a message forum, not a team spokesperson.

I was literally being called out by another poster, and felt obligated to explain my viewpoint. Not real sure what you're getting at here.

If your goal is to go after repetitive thoughts, there are a few around here who abuse that much more than I have, IMO.

Kinda wish I was a team spokesman, because I would at least hopefully have some sort of idea on what the plan actually is for 2021 right now. But I'm at a loss trying to figure it out.

I'll take another stab at this since we have done absolute nothing yet and I'm bored.

Sign Justin Turner 3 years, $39 million

Trade Hader and Houser to the Blue Jays for 1B Rowdy Tellez, Jordan Groshans, Simeon Woods Richardson and Miguel Hiraldo

Sign Taijuan Walker 2 years, $14 million

I'll take another stab at this since we have done absolute nothing yet and I'm bored.

Trade Hader and Houser to the Blue Jays for 1B Rowdy Tellez, Jordan Groshans, Simeon Woods Richardson and Miguel Hiraldo

I like the Turner/Walker signings but I seriously doubt Arnold would have all that money to spend. I can't imagine the Jays would do a big over pay for Hader/Houser and IMO the Brewers could do a lot better elsewhere.

I like the Turner/Walker signings but I seriously doubt Arnold would have all that money to spend. I can't imagine the Jays would do a big over pay for Hader/Houser and IMO the Brewers could do a lot better elsewhere.

Walker $$ basically = Hader & Houser, so the only new $$ is Turner.

Separate thought: Many people are automatically assuming the Brewers count end-of-year buyouts (of the next year) directly into the next year's payroll figure. Surely they account for it in the process, but unless it's been explained overtly by Stearns, Mark A., etc., that assumption is pure conjecture.

Tired of the Dumpster diving and reclamation projects that the Brewers are doing. I hope they would have made a impact signing especially with the Holes at 3rd base. I would like to the Brewers adding a starter like Walker would be acceptable.

Tired of the Dumpster diving and reclamation projects that the Brewers are doing. I hope they would have made a impact signing especially with the Holes at 3rd base. I would like to the Brewers adding a starter like Walker would be acceptable.

The burden of being a Brewers fan!

Still some quality floating out there. Cron and Moreland still out there for 1B. Gyorko and Cozart can be had for 3B for cheap. Still need another starter, would prefer a lefty, so Anderson could be brought back or reunion with Gio, I would check in with James Paxton, he would be my priority.

If you sign Walker what do you do when he approaches 140IP? It'll be 3years since he even threw more than 100IP. I see 167IP as his career high. Last season was perfect for him since he wouldn't need to pitch a 30game plus full year(29 is his highest) I'd fear he'd become a Marcum who if he made it to the post season would be throwing meatballs. I would be okay with him if you started him in the bullpen for 2months before inserting him at starter in 2021. Otherwise I think he'll flame out down the stretch.

If you sign Walker what do you do when he approaches 140IP? It'll be 3years since he even threw more than 100IP. I see 167IP as his career high. Last season was perfect for him since he wouldn't need to pitch a 30game plus full year(29 is his highest) I'd fear he'd become a Marcum who if he made it to the post season would be throwing meatballs. I would be okay with him if you started him in the bullpen for 2months before inserting him at starter in 2021. Otherwise I think he'll flame out down the stretch.

Obviously, that is something the Brewers coaching staff would monitor.

It might be a case of skipping him in the rotation 7 or 8 times throughout the season... (haven't done the math, just threw out those numbers, maybe it's 8-10 times, maybe more)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I would check in with James Paxton, he would be my priority.

Agreed, Paxton makes a lot of sense if the cost isn’t substantial.

Can't imagine Paxton will be cheap considering how recently he was seen as an emerging ace. But agreed that if he is willing to do a 1-year contract to prove himself after a 6.64 ERA and injury last season (5 GS), we should be all over that.

This would be a fantastic lineup. Could fill things out by bringing in a cheap righty masher for the bench like Matt Joyce.

2017-2020 vs RHP

CF Lorenzo Cain - .327 wOBA, 102 wRC+

LF Christian Yelich - .400 wOBA, 151 wRC+

2B Keston Hiura - .373 wOBA, 131 wRC+

3B Justin Turner - .369 wOBA, 133 wRC+

1B Daniel Vogelbach - .347 wOBA, 120 wRC+

RF Avisail Garcia - .324 wOBA, 104 wRC+

C Omar Narvaez - .339 wOBA, 114 wRC+

SS Orlando Arcia - .286 wOBA, 73 wRC+

2017-2020 vs LHP

CF Lorenzo Cain - .363 wOBA, 126 wRC+

LF Christian Yelich - .381 wOBA, 138 wRC+