Brewer Fanatic

What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?

Trade Hiura to the Rays for Blake Snell

Trade Hader to the Twins for Alex Kirilloff and Luis Arraez

Sign Tommy La Stella 2 years/$15 million

C Pina/Nottingham

1B Kirilloff

2B Arraez

SS Urias

3B La Stella

OF Yelich

OF Cain

OF Garcia

DH Vogelbach

Rotation:

Snell

Woodruff

Burnes

Houser

Lindblom

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Knebel will be let go with that salary.

Knebel missed 2019 and took a while to find his form in 2020, his first season back from TJ surgery. But he pitched decently in Sept. (noting, of course, that everything about 2020 can have "small sample size" called on it).

Isn't it still true that you can offer players a pay cut of no more than 20% in arbitration? If so, then the Brewers could offer Knebel something in the $4.2M range -- either via arbitration or in pre-arb negotiations (the latter with some reasonable performance-based incentives) -- and it still probably represents more than any offer he'd see in a somewhat flooded market after the non-tender deadline, given baseball's COVID-depressed economy.

If it's me calling the shots, if Knebel can come anywhere close to his usual good form, it's worth the security of having Hader, Williams, and a now-healthy Knebel at the back end of a strong bullpen. If Hader falters or things get a little too dicey, Knebel has the kind of meaningful closing experience we'd be hoping & praying to land for a song over the winter if we let Knebel go. And that would allow Williams to stay in a role where he's already successful.

BTW, as a Brewers fan up here in Twins Territory, Twins fans are salivating over Kirilloff. I doubt we'd get him -- let alone with good-contact-guy Arraez -- for Hader. I like the proposed deal a lot. I'm just very skeptical that it's realistic.

Then again, Taylor Rogers proved mortal and Sergio Romo was set adrift, so it's possible the Twins might pay a good price for Hader.

I believe that anything above $5m would be the most the Brewers have paid for any reliever in a single year in the Stearns era (Though I would imagine that hader will exceed that too), and I think in a year like this and with Knebel coming back from injury etc they won't be paying that. Even in a normal year I don't think it's a given they would do that. It's obviously hard to judge from the outside what a front office prioritizes and not (As in we can see the moves they make and guess at the motivations behind them, but have only a fraction of the data they do), but it would seem to me that this group do not believe in spending any significant portion of the payroll on relief pitching. Even that previous $5m (Feliz) was a signing made to hopefully flip at the deadline in a year where payroll was low and they had money to spend on 1-year deals, on a team not really expected to contend.

BTW, as a Brewers fan up here in Twins Territory, Twins fans are salivating over Kirilloff. I doubt we'd get him -- let alone with good-contact-guy Arraez -- for Hader. I like the proposed deal a lot. I'm just very skeptical that it's realistic.

Then again, Taylor Rogers proved mortal and Sergio Romo was set adrift, so it's possible the Twins might pay a good price for Hader.

Being in Twins territory, do you have a feel of what the Twins would be willing to give up to get Hader? Trevor Larnarch is intriguing and he's close to MLB ready. Maybe a Larnarch and Balazovich/Jeffers? I really like Arraez because he's such an on-base machine so would love to somehow get him too.

The problem with any "plan" is that the Brewers plan appears to be what it was last year. They'll sit back while the guys that can really help get gobbled up and see who they can get on the cheap after the dust settles about the last week of January.

Ugh! I wish you were wrong...

:angry

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Being in Twins territory, do you have a feel of what the Twins would be willing to give up to get Hader? Trevor Larnarch is intriguing and he's close to MLB ready. Maybe a Larnarch and Balazovich/Jeffers? I really like Arraez because he's such an on-base machine so would love to somehow get him too.

Kirilloff is obviously the ideal return, but I’m very high on Larnach. He’d be a nice get as part of a bigger deal.

My attempt part 1:

Sign Didi Gregorious 3 years, 39 million

Sign Joc Pederson for 2 years, 18 million

Sign Freddy Galvis for 1 year, 2 million

Trade Houser for JD Davis

Trade Hader for Alec Bohm

Trade Hiura for Sean Manaea

Nontender: Arcia, Claudio, Gamel, Healy, Pina, Peterson, Knebel (re-sign for 3 million), Vogelbach

Tender: Narvaez, Woodruff

Lineup:

1. Cain CF

2. Yelich LF

3. Bohm 3B

4. Pederson 1B

5. Garcia RF

6. Gregorious SS

7. Davis DH

8. Narvaez C

9. Urias 2B

Bench:

Nottingham, Galvis, Taylor, Mathias

Rotation:

1. Woodruff

2. Burnes

3. Manaea

4. Lindblom

5. Lauer

Pen:

Williams, Knebel, Suter, Peralta, Yardley, Rasmussen, Topa, Wahl

We don't have much of a bench but maybe we will find a diamond in the rough for depth. The good news is that we would finally score some runs. I look forward to most of you telling me that we can't afford this :).

My attempt part 1:

Nontender: Arcia, Claudio, Gamel, Healy, Pina, Peterson, Knebel (re-sign for 3 million), Vogelbach

Lineup:

1. Cain CF

2. Yelich LF

3. Bohm 3B

4. Pederson 1B

5. Garcia RF

6. Gregorious SS

7. Davis DH

8. Narvaez C

9. Urias 2B

Bench:

Rotation:

1. Woodruff

2. Burnes

3. Manaea

4. Lindblom

5. Lauer

Pen:

We don't have much of a bench but maybe we will find a diamond in the rough for depth. The good news is that we would finally score some runs. I look forward to most of you telling me that we can't afford this :).

So you don't believe the Brewers and many, many more teams are going to CUT payroll? You want to add million upon millions of dollars. I think your chance of this happening are somewhere between zero and the proverbial snowball's chance in hell.

My attempt part 1:

Lineup:

1. Cain CF

2. Yelich LF

3. Bohm 3B

4. Pederson 1B

5. Garcia RF

6. Gregorious SS

7. Davis DH

8. Narvaez C

9. Urias 2B

Bench:

Rotation:

1. Woodruff

2. Burnes

3. Manaea

4. Lindblom

5. Lauer

Pen:

So you don't believe the Brewers and many, many more teams are going to CUT payroll? You want to add million upon millions of dollars. I think your chance of this happening are somewhere between zero and the proverbial snowball's chance in hell.

Appreciate your constructive and productive criticism. I look forward to seeing your in depth plan.

My attempt part 1:

Lineup:

1. Cain CF

2. Yelich LF

3. Bohm 3B

4. Pederson 1B

5. Garcia RF

6. Gregorious SS

7. Davis DH

8. Narvaez C

9. Urias 2B

Bench:

Rotation:

1. Woodruff

2. Burnes

3. Manaea

4. Lindblom

5. Lauer

Pen:

To be fair, he only added about $12M if you consider he traded away/non-tendered almost $20M worth of estimated 2021 contracts. Not sure where that leaves the total payroll, but considering we're also dropping the contracts of Braun, Anderson, Sogard, Gyorko, etc. to FA, it may actually be a little less than the non-prorated payroll from last year, depending on how many pay raises everyone else gets.

But anyways, it's not outrageous, and if you think it's taking on too much money, just drop the Didi signing and hold onto Arcia and go from there.

Interesting ideas though, I'd love the Houser for Davis swap if the Mets would go for it.

So you don't believe the Brewers and many, many more teams are going to CUT payroll? You want to add million upon millions of dollars.

Pre-Pandemic Brewers opening day payroll came in around 97 million.

If I added everything correctly wallus comes in around 95 million, all salaries & Arby's estimates from Cot's...

Cain (17) Yelich (14) Didi (13) Avisail (10.75) Joc (9) Manea (4.85) Woodruff (3.5) Lindblom (3) Knebel (3) Omar (2.9) Galvis (2) Davis (1.85) Suter (1.5) Peralta (1.25) = 87.6 million, + 12 @ 600K = 94.8 million.

Yeah, probably higher than what opening day payroll will be for 2021, but not adding millions upon millions compared to 2020.

I'd imagine we'll come in around 80-85 million, which depending on trades/tender decisions should still leave enough in the cookie jar to sign a couple two tree guys around five to seven million each.

Pre-Pandemic Brewers opening day payroll came in around 97 million.

If I added everything correctly wallus comes in around 95 million, all salaries & Arby's estimates from Cot's...

Cain (17) Yelich (14) Didi (13) Avisail (10.75) Joc (9) Manea (4.85) Woodruff (3.5) Lindblom (3) Knebel (3) Omar (2.9) Galvis (2) Davis (1.85) Suter (1.5) Peralta (1.25) = 87.6 million, + 12 @ 600K = 94.8 million.

Yeah, probably higher than what opening day payroll will be for 2021, but not adding millions upon millions compared to 2020.

I'd imagine we'll come in around 80-85 million, which depending on trades/tender decisions should still leave enough in the cookie jar to sign a couple two tree guys around five to seven million each.

So, as MrAllen noted, you'd very much be in the ballpark if you remove Didi from the equation. You'd still have to pay Arcia or another SS something, of course, but you'd very much be in that $80-85m range.

My attempt part 1:

Lineup:

1. Cain CF

2. Yelich LF

3. Bohm 3B

4. Pederson 1B

5. Garcia RF

6. Gregorious SS

7. Davis DH

8. Narvaez C

9. Urias 2B

Bench:

Rotation:

1. Woodruff

2. Burnes

3. Manaea

4. Lindblom

5. Lauer

Pen:

Not sure if Philly would do it but I really like your Hader trade proposal. Bohm is exactly the type of player the Brewers should be looking to trade Hader for. I also like your idea of trading Hiura for a stud starting pitcher. I’m on that train too.

Would love to get him but Bohm isnt being traded.

We would have to offer Burnes, Woody and Hader... They probably still say no.

Bohm has a lot of potential, but holy undervaluing our own players, Batman!

Sorry, that should have been in blue! Haha

I love all 3 of those dudes!

The Brewers are in a tough position with Hader. They’re in a budget crunch but also need help at multiple positions with little prospect capital and a win now mindset. Never say never but I just don’t see them trading him unless Brewers do a mini rebuild

And as much as I love Hader you’re not getting Bohm for him. You don’t trade the 3rd pick in the draft who is already showing possible star potential for a reliever. Regardless of how good the reliever is.

If they do not plan on increasing payroll soon (next season at the latest), Yelich's extension was incredibly stupid.

If they could have foreseen the global pandemic, I'm guessing they might have waited on the Yelich extension.

He signed the contract less than a week before spring training shut down. The WHO declared COVID-19 a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on January 30th. Must have just magically appeared with no warning that could have been forseen.

Archived