Brewer Fanatic

What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
James McCann-Catcher and Tommy La Stella-3rd

Sign me up for both of those signings, but I'm guessing competition might be pretty stiff for both?

Of course, the one big wildcard that we just don't know about yet is what the market is going to look like this winter? I would imagine an intense standoff this winter between what the players want with some of these FA deals and what the owners are willing to pay players after losing millions this year during the pandemic. Seems like it would be a safe guess to assume that we won't see many signings until Jan/Feb this winter.

Does Stearns just admit he made a mistake on Narvaez and cut him loose to sign another catcher, or do we give Omar another shot next year? Boy, he looked terrible at the plate and behind the plate this year.

What do we do at 1B? Gyorko ended up being our best option this year, but I don't want to go into a season depending on him to play the majority of the games at 1B. I'd rather have him in more of a utility role. Vogelbach might be able to give you some games there, but he's obviously more of a DH.

Do we trade one of Arcia or Urias this winter? I really don't want to go into next season having those guys slotted at SS and 3B. I think we need to decide on one of them for SS and then either trade the other - or move Urias to 2B (which would move Hiura to DH). But, I think we need to find a decent bat at 3B.

We also need to figure out 3-5 in our rotation. Houser needs to get a plan in place to get lefty hitters out if he's going to stay in the rotation. Lindblom - ugh, I don't even know what he needs to do to get better? Lauer - he can't possibly be this bad, right? Maybe send him to the pitching lab all winter? Can Freddy continue to work on his secondary pitches this winter to make himself more of an option as a rotation piece, or are we just fine having him in the long relief role? Do we bring Anderson back, or find another cheaper FA option?

A lot of question marks with this team heading into '21. Of course, maybe the biggest will be regarding Yeli. We NEED him to return to his '18 and '19 form. I have no idea what was wrong with him this year, but it wasn't pretty.

Before going into the plans it's worth noting that there will probably be more non-tenders to players entering their later arbitration years than usual, due to the financial insecurity. Probably also more 2-year contracts (Like with Suter) agreed to by arbitration-elligible players. So the FA market will probably look quite different when it actually opens. A team willing to spend a bit now can probably do quite well.

As a general strategy I'd be willing to spend on 1-year deals in 2021, since Braun is off the books and Yelichs higher salary hasn't kicked in yet, and the young pitching core will be cheap now but won't be a couple years from now. I'd be wary of contracts likely to be underwater in 2023-2024 (and onwards) even if they were to be good (or even very good) in 2021-2022. When Cain/Garcia are off the books, there's room for some spending again.

Decline options on Sogard and Braun. Probably decline Gamel.

Pick up option on Gyorko ($4.5m, really $3.5m considering the $1m buyout).

Test the trade market for Hader (again). Look for young bats (Infield, maybe even C) or young SP in return. MLB-ready or very close to it.

Depending on the return for Hader (If a trade can even be made), the need for bats may vary. Of course DJ LeMahieu or JT Realmuto would be ideal, but I doubt Brewers will be in that market. So I'll not go there.

Tommy La Stella looks like a good candidate to me in terms of position (2B/3B), handedness (LHH), profile (Doesn't strike out, like at all). Shouldn't be prohibitively expensive. One issue I could see is that he gets his results not from hitting the ball hard but through other means; Brewers need to figure out how sustainable that is. Statcast data seems to support his numbers at least.

Brad Miller is the opposite to La Stella in some ways. Hits hard, whiffs a lot. If we're looking at LHH who match positional needs, market looks quite thin tbh and Miller seems like one of the best options.

If the DH is sticking around (Pretty sure it will) simply looking for the best bats that fit into the budget (So probably mostly short-term deals) is a good idea too. DH/PH or living with poor defense if the bat is good enough.

Pitching-wise, I like where the Brewers are at and would like to see them continue with the internal development that finally looks like it might become a strength.

But another veteran starter to take the Brett Anderson type of role (Could even be Anderson himself) would be great. Drew Smyly had a good year and could probably be had relatively cheap. Jose Quintana if he's healthy and his market isn't hot, though I expect he'll have plenty of suitors still.

Look over the relief market for this years David Phelps type signing, i.e try to find someone who's being overlooked. No big splash, just someone or someone(s) who complements the current crop well. Another lefty would be great.

In terms of non-tenders, I find it so hard to evaluate players in this weird season. Narvaez looked absolutely terrible at the plate, but he was a very good hitter in 2018 and 2019. I have no idea what to believe with him. Arcia I'm also unsure about what to do; his likely arbitration raise makes him fairly expensive for what he is. And was his solid offensive season real or a result of short-season weirdness? Knebel is going to get rather expensive for a reliever, but would like to keep him still if he truly is back to his best. Non-tender Healy, and probably Claudio (Even though I actually like him).

Offer arbitration to Woodruff, Lauer, Hader for sure.

Let's get the ball rolling on this thread with a lot of work to do this offseason!

Here is a list of FA to get everyone started:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/09/2020-21-mlb-free-agents.html

It would be fun to watch Brewer Nation's head explode if we signed Molina at catcher...lol

I would be 100% against it, but would be great entertainment on the boards!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

2 of our greatest needs don't really have a lot of impact players that we could realistically sign.

1B I see almost nothing that excites me.

3B, would be great to get LeMahieu but he'll probably stay in yankee pinstripes, we couldn't afford him. I'd love to sign Turner on a 2 year deal, even if we have to over pay. In all honesty, I'm pretty sure we will be bringing back Gyroko at 1B/3B anyway.

I think signing Wainwright on a one year deal would be pretty sweet, but I think he will want at least 2years. He had a really nice year on the comeback trail.

Bauer is a pipedream.

FA Signings:

Tommy LaStella (2/16m)

Ryan Braun (1/7m)

Trades:

Josh Hader for Tony Gonsolin, Edwin Rios, & Michael Busch

Orlando Arcia for Lottery Tickets

Arbitration Offered:

Brandon Woodruff (5m)

Corey Knebel (6m)

Omar Narvaez (3.5m)

Eric Lauer (2m)

Non-Tenders:

Alex Claudio

Manny Pina

Options Picked Up:

Jedd Gyorko

Options Declined:

Ryan Braun (4m buyout)

Eric Sogard (500k buyout)

Position Players:

C: Narvaez/Nottingham

1B: Rios/Gyorko

2B: Hiura

SS: Urias

3B: LaStella/Gyorko

LF: Yelich

CF:Cain/Gamel

RF: Garcia/Braun

DH: Vogelbach/Braun

Starting Pitching:

Woodruff/Burnes/Gonsolin/Lauer/Lindblom

Relief Pitching:

Williams/Knebel/Houser/Peralta/Suter/Rasmussen/Yardley/Topa

Payroll: 94.9m

The Brewers would be hopefully bring Braun back think he could be the full time DH. The Brewers bullpen should good with Knebel and Williams Healthy. But this team needs to legit bats as the addition this year were failures.I would also like to find a solid 3rd arm to slot behind the top two. This is going to be curious what Stearns can do.

I know Bauer is a pipe dream but it's fun to think about a possible rotation of him, Woodruff and Burns. If he takes a one year deal like he says he will, are we thinking he'll get over 35 million?

It is a fun dream to think about! And, he did mention that he likes Milwaukee, right? I was initially thinking he would get between 25-30M next year, but you might be right with your 35M - if he does just go year to year. If there's one thing we know about Stearns - it's that he doesn't like to spend a lot on pitching. So, I'd be shocked if we are in play here.

I can see him getting 40 million for one year if the Yankees get involved. I wouldn't rule out the Cubs either.

Wasn't it Ricketts who had been suggesting that they were going to be cutting payroll, instead of adding to it? Can't imagine his stance has changed after the $$ lost during COVID, but maybe that new TV network will start paying off for them right away?

I can see him getting 40 million for one year if the Yankees get involved. I wouldn't rule out the Cubs either.

Wasn't it Ricketts who had been suggesting that they were going to be cutting payroll, instead of adding to it? Can't imagine his stance has changed after the $$ lost during COVID, but maybe that new TV network will start paying off for them right away?

I don't trust a word that comes out of the mouth of anyone in that organization...

My off season plan all free agent signings are at the maximum that I think they can get(years and $$$$):

Trades:

Hader to the Padres for Meyers, Abrams and Patino

Arcia and international signing bonus $$$ to the Angels for Kevin Maitan and Jose Bonilla

Free Agent signings:

Profar 3-years $27m

La Stella 4-years $48m

Tanaka 1-year $12m

Justin Wilson 1-year $2m

Marwin Gonzalez 2-years $9m

Options declined:

Braun, Sogard and Gamel

Roster:

C: Narvaez, Nottingham/Pina

1B: Meyers, Gyorko

2B: Profar, Hiura, Gonzalez

SS: Urias, Gonzalez

3B: La Stella, Gyorko, Gonzalez

CF: Cain

RF: Garcia

DH: Hiura, Meyers, Gyorko

OF: Taylor, Meyers

SP: Woodruff, Burnes, Tanaka, Lindblom, Hauser/Small/Lauer/etc...

RP: Suter, Knebel, Yardley, D. Williams, Wilson, Rasmussen, Topa, Peralta

Probably missing someone or something somewhere or my count for my active roster probably has more than what is possible.

My off season plan all free agent signings are at the maximum that I think they can get(years and $$$$):

Trades:

Hader to the Padres for Meyers, Abrams and Patino

Arcia and international signing bonus $$$ to the Angels for Kevin Maitan and Jose Bonilla

Free Agent signings:

Profar 3-years $27m

La Stella 4-years $48m

Tanaka 1-year $12m

Justin Wilson 1-year $2m

Marwin Gonzalez 2-years $9m

Options declined:

Braun, Sogard and Gamel

Roster:

C: Narvaez, Nottingham/Pina

1B: Meyers, Gyorko

2B: Profar, Hiura, Gonzalez

SS: Urias, Gonzalez

3B: La Stella, Gyorko, Gonzalez

CF: Cain

RF: Garcia

DH: Hiura, Meyers, Gyorko

OF: Taylor, Meyers

SP: Woodruff, Burnes, Tanaka, Lindblom, Hauser/Small/Lauer/etc...

RP: Suter, Knebel, Yardley, D. Williams, Wilson, Rasmussen, Topa, Peralta

Probably missing someone or something somewhere or my count for my active roster probably has more than what is possible.

You are kidding right?? You have the Brewers adding $62M plus their arby guys and subtracting maybe $20M. Myers alone is $23M. Your proposal would add over $40M to the payroll. The Crew aren't the cubs or Yankees that have almost limitless money.

The Brewers would be hopefully bring Braun back think he could be the full time DH. The Brewers bullpen should good with Knebel and Williams Healthy. But this team needs to legit bats as the addition this year were failures.I would also like to find a solid 3rd arm to slot behind the top two. This is going to be curious what Stearns can do.

I wouldn't want Braun back for any price. He has become so injury prone that CC would be lucky to get 75 games from him. Vogelbach deserves the first look at DH. Stearns has to find reliable guys and forget about Braun.

This years free agency class is rather stinky.

Agreed, I see a lot of guys similiar to the crap we brought in this last off season.

Makes me think we will see a similar roster to the one we ended with.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This years free agency class is rather stinky.

Agreed, I see a lot of guys similiar to the crap we brought in this last off season.

Makes me think we will see a similar roster to the one we ended with.

Might as well give Garrett Mitchell a chance. At the very least we’ll get the same results :laughing

I wouldn't want Braun back for any price. He has become so injury prone that CC would be lucky to get 75 games from him. Vogelbach deserves the first look at DH. Stearns has to find reliable guys and forget about Braun.

+1. I originally thought of maybe bringing him back for $5-6 million, which would be the $4million buyout he is owed plus $1 or $2million. However, the guy just cannot stay helathy....so pass...

Archived