Brewer Fanatic

2020 MLB Postseason: AL & NL Wild Card Series

Eye Black
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't wait to see the banner the Brewers hang for going 29-31 in a season.

I'm hoping it's the Brewers facing the Marlins in the NLCS. That would be fun and cause the most uproar among the twitterverse.

No surprise of the sub 500 teams.... with 8 teams in from each league's 15 teams, it's probable that it would happen.

I'd like to see 6 teams from each, giving a bye to the best two teams in each league to provide incentive for great records.

Has a game been played yet in Arlington's stadium? Too bad the Brewers couldn't make history by playing its first game. Instead, it goes to the Cardinals.

All games in the Brewers-Dodgers series are being played at Dodger Stadium.

We don't get even one game?? :(

I’m seeing +335. Has that ever been like that for a playoff game before.

I can see if it’s randy Johnson vs some 120 loss team. But a playoff game?

https://www.oddsshark.com/mlb/odds

Just out of curiosity where do you have +335? Because I would definitely bet that.

I. Just looking at the odds on the espn app. Which is pretty reliable. It’s at +320 now

Maybe it will change after a starter is announced

Has a game been played yet in Arlington's stadium? Too bad the Brewers couldn't make history by playing its first game. Instead, it goes to the Cardinals.

All games in the Brewers-Dodgers series are being played at Dodger Stadium.

We don't get even one game?? :(

Not a one.

Personally I agree with the rule and in a 3 game do or die series I think the higher seed should get all the games in their home stadium.

I would be bummed though if fans were allowed at the ballparks and we didn’t get a home game.

Looks like 538 has us at 22% to win the series while FanGraphs is a little more optimistic at 33.8%.

Interesting.

I’d guess that’s probably the lowest percent chance among the 16 but not as low as I would have thought.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the Twins (Maeda starting) fare against Greinke and the Astros today. Granted this doesn’t really mean much for the current crop of players who weren’t around for the majority of their postseason failures, but the Twins have lost their last 16 straight playoff games. They have also lost their last 7 postseason series dating back to 2002, and only won three games total during those 7 series (3 wins, 20 losses). It’s been well documented, but 5 of those 7 series were against the Yankees. I am guessing Twins fans are happy to see someone other than the Yankees in the playoffs this year.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewers manager Craig Counsell said the team is still assessing Daniel Vogelbach's right leg injury.

Vogelbach tweaked something while running out a grounder in the ninth inning of Sunday's regular-season finale against the Cardinals. The hope is that he will be able to DH in Wednesday night's Wild Card Series opener versus the Dodgers and right-hander Walker Buehler, but it's up in the air at the moment. The left-handed-hitting Vogelbach proved to be a tremendous early-September waiver claim for the Brewers, slashing .328/.418/.569 with four home runs and 12 RBI in 19 games down the stretch.

SOURCE: Tom Haudricourt on Twitter

Sep 28, 2020, 8:23 PM ET

Seems so funny to me that we are counting on Vogelbach to help our chances of winning. A guy we picked up for free on some trash heap. Now he seems to be a key factor in our success? lol Love this game!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

My predictions:

AL

Rays beat the Bluejays

Indians beat the Yankees

Twins beat the Astros

White Sox beat the A's

NL

Dodgers beat the Brewers

Padres beat the Cardinals

Marlins beat the Cubs

Braves beat the Reds

Wow, not a big fan of the NL Central's chances, huh?

Actually, I kinda agree. All four teams kinda suck. The Cubs in particular looked terrible to end the year.

My predictions:

AL

Rays beat the Bluejays

Indians beat the Yankees

Twins beat the Astros

White Sox beat the A's

NL

Dodgers beat the Brewers

Marlins beat the Cubs

Braves beat the Reds

Actually, I kinda agree. All four teams kinda suck. The Cubs in particular looked terrible to end the year.

The NL Central was just brutal not a single team in the NL Central had a WRC+ that was average or above average. The highest was 93 by the Cardinals which is 7 points below average.

I think OPS+ showed the same also. Basically nearly every advanced metrics for offense showed that the NL Central sucked. Actually all of the Central teams but the White Sox and the Twins sucked offensively.

My predictions:

AL

Rays beat the Bluejays

Indians beat the Yankees

Twins beat the Astros

White Sox beat the A's

NL

Dodgers beat the Brewers

Marlins beat the Cubs

Braves beat the Reds

I’m going to say two NL Central teams advance...

NL

Brewers over Dodgers

Padres over Cardinals

Cubs over Marlins

Braves over Reds

AL

Rays over Blue Jays

Yankees over Indians

Twins over Astros

White Sox over A’s

I could see that Reds starting rotation carrying them a long ways into the playoffs.

If there was ever an offense that could put them to the test it's the Braves. Should be a very intriguing pitching versus hitting matchup.

I think Castillo will be great, Bauer will have a decent outing but give up 2-3 runs, and Gray will get shelled.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If not the Brewers then the Reds simply because I was given a $100 free bet on DraftKings and I laid all on a 50/1 shot that the Reds would win it all.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator

I can think of reasons why every one of the 16 teams will advance / get eliminated.

The Reds are a tough matchup for the Braves, but if the Braves get past it they would have the best shot at beating the Dodgers in a 7-game series.

The Padres could easily come out with playoff jitters against an experienced Cards team and be quickly eliminated. But if they get past that initial concern they could have a long run in October.

Archived