Brewer Fanatic

Playoff Roster

KeithStone53151
The Brewers only have 12 pitchers on their Wild Card roster despite the high probability of heavy bullpen usage. No Eric Lauer for those of us that were wondering if he’d get a shot.

Only 3 lefties against a lineup that is substantially worse against lefty pitching is an odd choice. They did load up on the inconsistent power righties, though, with Rasmussen, Topa and Black. That is a lot of heat, but also potentially a lot of very straight fastballs that can leave the park in a hurry.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers only have 12 pitchers on their Wild Card roster despite the high probability of heavy bullpen usage. No Eric Lauer for those of us that were wondering if he’d get a shot.

Only 3 lefties against a lineup that is substantially worse against lefty pitching is an odd choice. They did load up on the inconsistent power righties, though, with Rasmussen, Topa and Black. That is a lot of heat, but also potentially a lot of very straight fastballs that can leave the park in a hurry.

Looking at that roster which includes missing 3 of your best pitchers (Burnes, Williams, Anderson) and seeing a third catcher and Ryon Healy included makes me think they must’ve really soured on Eric Lauer more than I anticipated.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Devin Williams is not on Wild Card series roster according to Jeff Passan. Arm injury.

Passan: Huge blow for the Milwaukee Brewers: Rookie right-hander Devin Williams, the best reliever in baseball this year, has been left off the roster for their wild card series against the top-seeded Los Angeles Dodgers, sources tell ESPN. He's dealing with an arm issue, sources said.

What a complete and utter disaster

So, basically, the Brewers have lost their top starter and top reliever just prior to the playoffs. Yeesh!

It's more like two of their top three starters and their top reliever all lost in the last 6 days. Time to institute the slaughter rule. Why not take a chance on Ethan Small? He was supposed to be the most polished college pitcher in last year's draft wasn't he?

Plus there is a DH so less need for a bench for the pinch hitting, double switching, etc. So I'd agree with the logic of another P making sense.

Plus there is a DH so less need for a bench for the pinch hitting, double switching, etc. So I'd agree with the logic of another P making sense.

compare it to the 2018 division series roster. i'm in agreement--given who's healthy and rested--with just 12 pitchers for a three game series.

compare it to the 2018 division series roster. i'm in agreement--given who's healthy and rested--with just 12 pitchers for a three game series.

I wouldn't say it's crazy or a huge deal or anything. But considering 3 extra roster spots, DH, 3 days in a row instead of 2, the current state of pur pitching knowing if they play 3 games 2 will be bullpen games (including game 1), I think I'd have taken the extra P just in case.

I wouldn't say it's crazy or a huge deal or anything. But considering 3 extra roster spots, DH, 3 days in a row instead of 2, the current state of pur pitching knowing if they play 3 games 2 will be bullpen games (including game 1), I think I'd have taken the extra P just in case.

Not to mention there’s no extra runner rule in Postseason extra innings, so you could have a marathon game you have to cover [see Reds-Braves currently in 12th inning and counting]. Having the potential for 27+ innings to be covered in three days without a lot of arms that will go multiple innings seems like one more would make sense. I guess they probably wouldn’t hesitate to send someone to the injury list in order to add someone from the taxi squad if needed.

Whatever, hopefully Freitas or Healy hit a grand slam and it looks genius.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

OK then. Good luck fellas. Gonna take a miracle.

No Lauer is criminal unless he's hurt.

Not as criminal as letting him pitch.

Uh huh. Keep banging that drum. There are plenty of bad-to-terrible pitchers on the roster. At least one of the bad-to-terrible pitchers has shown success against many of these Dodgers.

Makes no sense at all. Again, unless he's hurt.

OK then. Good luck fellas. Gonna take a miracle.

No Lauer is criminal unless he's hurt.

Not as criminal as letting him pitch.

Uh huh. Keep banging that drum. There are plenty of bad-to-terrible pitchers on the roster. At least one of the bad-to-terrible pitchers has shown success against many of these Dodgers.

Makes no sense at all. Again, unless he's hurt.

He has an ERA over 13 this year and is allowing 2 and a half baserunning per inning. Bad to terrible is on a reasonably higher level than what Lauer did this year. I'm sure that probably was part of the decision.

Leuer needs a reset, not a competitive game to pitch in. Burnes didn't pitch in the playoff game last year for the same reason.

His confidence is likely shot at the moment. His history against LA is not as relevant as his recent results.

Archived