Brewer Fanatic

2020-09-27: Brewers (Anderson) at Cardinals (Gomber) [Brewers lose, 5-2 -- Clinch spot in Postseason]

Eye Black

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers enter the final day of the regular season with a “win and you’re in” scenario for making the playoffs. They could still get in with a loss and some help (both Giants and Phillies would need to lose). Despite what felt like too many low points of this season, the Brewers are playing meaningful baseball until the very end.

All MLB games start at nearly the same time (2 o’clock hour in the central time zone), this Brewers-Cardinals game is technically the last game to get underway with a scheduled 2:15pm first pitch.

The Brewers offense is going to face a left-handed pitcher they’ve seen very little of in their careers (no one on the Brewers roster has had more than 2 at bats versus Gomber). Ryan Braun does have a home run against Gomber in one of his two plate appearances versus the lefty.

Going off of track record the biggest Cardinals offensive threat against Brett Anderson appears to be Paul Goldschmidt. Over his 21 plate appearances versus Anderson, Goldschmidt is 9-for-17 with 2 home runs and 4 walks.

Let’s hope the positivity train rolls right into the postseason! Go Brewers!

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Somewhat relevant: The Padres and Rays both have nothing to play for today. Both teams are already locked into their postseason seed. Both are just playing spoiler.

Phillies: Aaron Nola 3.06 ERA

Rays: Josh Fleming 3.42 ERA

Giants: Drew Smyly 3.38 ERA

Padres: Adrian Morejon 4.86 ERA

I won’t say it is a must for us to win...but I don’t think I would bank on both the Giants/Phillies losing.

Big day. BIG DAY! I expect heroics out of Braun at some point today. Shove that spotlight up on the old guy one more time (at least).
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Big day. BIG DAY! I expect heroics out of Braun at some point today. Shove that spotlight up on the old guy one more time (at least).

I imagine if "wanting it" was a measurable thing, Braun has to be at 10/10. I expect great things from him today.

Luis Urias is in the lineup at 3B. I know he hasn’t looked great down the stretch with inconsistent playing time, but for his short MLB career he is slugging .505 against left handed pitchers (109 plate appearances vs LHP). He is probably the best option at 3B defensively with Brett Anderson on the mound, and obviously hoping he comes through with a big hit or two.

Luis Urias is in the lineup at 3B. I know he hasn’t looked great down the stretch with inconsistent playing time, but for his short MLB career he is slugging .505 against left handed pitchers (109 plate appearances vs LHP). He is probably the best option at 3B defensively with Brett Anderson on the mound, and obviously hoping he comes through with a big hit or two.

My guess is his defense was the primary factor over sogard. I'm a bit surprised they didn't go hiura dh with sogard at 2b though. Can't afford dumb errors today

Gomber has been pretty good this year, but he is the type of pitcher I would expect Braun to do well against. Gomber throws his four seam fastball 54% of the time and his changeup only 5%. He also throws a curve and slider. The fastball profile without a strong changeup to back it up seems like the type of southpaw profile that Braun should be able to hit the ball hard against.

I do get the feeling that for a win today the Brewers are going to have break their trend of typically scoring just 3 or less runs. I think they’ll need to find a way to score at least 5.

Gomber has been pretty good this year, but he is the type of pitcher I would expect Braun to do well against. Gomber throws his four seam fastball 54% of the time and his changeup only 5%. He also throws a curve and slider. The fastball profile without a strong changeup to back it up seems like the type of southpaw profile that Braun should be able to hit the ball hard against.

I do get the feeling that for a win today the Brewers are going to have break their trend of typically scoring just 3 or less runs. I think they’ll need to find a way to score at least 5.

While we're at it, allow me to explain the theory of relativity to you all.

I want this sucker coming down to Hader in the 9th closing it out. Nothing will get the feelings going more than that!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I want this sucker coming down to Hader in the 9th closing it out. Nothing will get the feelings going more than that!

Not me, I want to be up by 12 runs, pitching Arcia in the 9th to rest the bullpen...

I want to POUR IT ON!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don’t know why Hader wouldn’t be available? He threw 23 pitches last night but had the night off the day before so I would think he’d be good to go.

Archived