Brewer Fanatic

2020-09-26: Brewers (Woodruff) at Cardinals (Wainwright) [Brewers win, 3-0 -- Woodruff pitches masterpiece; No Cardinals batter touches second base]

Eye Black
The Phillies loss guarantees that the Brewers will make the playoffs with a win tomorrow.

They still need a Giant loss, do they not?

Yes, still need one Giants loss between either tonight or tomorrow. If the Giants win both the Brewers would have to wait to see how the Cardinals-Tigers doubleheader goes. This is all assuming the Brewers win tomorrow.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UGH!

He can not be a regular full time starter for reasons I already laid out previously in this thread.

When given the chance he's done well overall. His career numbers as a starter would be better than most "#3" guys. Just saying.

Stats skewed though because he’s never been asked for 30+ starts in a season. He can get you through stretches with injuries though.

He also hasn't been asked to give you 5+ innings a start either. The way we currently use him is maximizing his abilities. I think if you put him into a traditional starters role, he would be an absolute train wreck.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

He was far from a train wreck in his previous experience as a starter. I don't see why he would be now. What he was, though, was a perfectly mediocre starter who you were lucky to get 5 innings out of. I think they can and should aim higher. But if they have injuries or ineffectiveness in the rotation, Suter is a valuable guy to have around.

The Phillies loss guarantees that the Brewers will make the playoffs with a win tomorrow.

They still need a Giant loss, do they not?

Yes, still need one Giants loss between either tonight or tomorrow. If the Giants win both the Brewers would have to wait to see how the Cardinals-Giants doubleheader goes. This is all assuming the Brewers win tomorrow.

It’s the Cardinals and Tigers who would play a DH.

I think what I must have heard earlier today is that if the Brewers won both games they couldn’t be eliminated tomorrow because at worst they could beat out the Cardinals (6-4 head to head) if the Cardinals lose one of two to the Tigers.

I’m pretty sure that if the Brewers and Giants end up tied at 30-30, the Brewers would win the tiebreaker because they would be 20-20 in the Central and the Giants 19-21 in the a West. The Padres could do the Brewers a favor by holding on to their current 3-0 lead over the Giants.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

It’s the Cardinals and Tigers who would play a DH.

I think what I must have heard earlier today is that if the Brewers won both games they couldn’t be eliminated tomorrow because at worst they could beat out the Cardinals (6-4 head to head) if the Cardinals lose one of two to the Tigers.

I’m pretty sure that if the Brewers and Giants end up tied at 30-30, the Brewers would win the tiebreaker because they would be 20-20 in the Central and the Giants 19-21 in the a West. The Padres could do the Brewers a favor by holding on to their current 3-0 lead over the Giants.

Yes, it would be a Cardinals-Tigers doubleheader, I just made a typo.

Coming into tonight the Brewers could have won both game and been eliminated tomorrow if both the Phillies and Giants also won their last two games. Now that the Phillies have lost the Brewers cannot be eliminated tomorrow if they win. If the Giants lose tonight than the Brewers would clinch the playoffs with a win tomorrow regardless of what other teams do.

The Phillies have the tiebreaker over the Brewers and the Giants came into tonight with a 1 game lead in the standings (but the Brewers hold the tie breaker over the Giants if they finish with the same record).

If the Brewers end up 30-30, the Cardinals at 29-29, and the Giants at 29-31, I wonder if they would have the Cards play the Tigers or just award the seeds based on the tiebreakers. The Reds and Marlins could also end up at 30-30 with losses tomorrow.

By my count, the Giants would lose the tiebreaker to the Cardinals and would have no chance to make the playoffs. I wonder if the Cardinals would rather forfeit than to have to go to Detroit just to try to get a higher seed with a sweep.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

If the Brewers end up 30-30, the Cardinals at 29-29, and the Giants at 29-31, I wonder if they would have the Cards play the Tigers or just award the seeds based on the tiebreakers. The Reds and Marlins could also end up at 30-30 with losses tomorrow.

The Cardinals would have the tiebreaker over the Giants (intradivision record) if they both finish with 29 wins. The Cardinals will only play the doubleheader versus the Tigers if it decides who MAKES the playoffs. If only seeding within the playoff field could be affected than they will base seeding off of winning percentage and the Cardinals won’t have to travel to Detroit.

He was far from a train wreck in his previous experience as a starter. I don't see why he would be now. What he was, though, was a perfectly mediocre starter who you were lucky to get 5 innings out of. I think they can and should aim higher. But if they have injuries or ineffectiveness in the rotation, Souter is a valuable guy to have around.

This is pretty much where I'm at too. I think he'd be better than someone like Lindblom but I'd rather have him in the pen. I think he'd be an average starter though, which is pretty valuable.

The Cardinals would have the tiebreaker over the Giants (intradivision record) if they both finish with 29 wins. The Cardinals will only play the doubleheader versus the Tigers if it decides who MAKES the playoffs. If only seeding within the playoff field could be affected than they will base seeding off of winning percentage and the Cardinals won’t have to travel to Detroit.

I think that would put the Brewers ahead of the Cardinals in a 2 way tie, but behind them in the last spot in a 3 or 4 way tie because I think the Reds, Marlins, and Cardinals would all be 21-19 to the Brewers 20-20.

I didn’t want to come here and jinx it........what a stud performance from Woody......best I’ve ever seen him....used all of his pitches perfectly.......just enough offense against a tough pitcher.

Meaningful baseball to the last day!

Woodruff’s outing today was as dominant as his game against the Phillies last year when he went 8 innings without ever having to pitch with a man on base. He was perfect exact for a harmless solo HR with a big lead. He even contributed with the bat that day.

I'm telling you, if Suter regularly tries to get through the batting order a second time, he is going to get rocked....

Suter's OPS against jumps dramatically the second time hitters see him in a game, and even more dramatically the 3rd time around, so there is some merit to this.

Suter is perfect in his current role eating up 2 to 3 big innings in a game.

Giants have the bases loaded and nobody out in the 8th inning. Still down 3-0 for the moment.

Edit: Now bases loaded with one out following a strikeout.

Edit #2: Now two outs, Giants scored one run when Brandon Belt just barely beat out a would be double play that would’ve ended the inning. It’s 3-1 with a pitching change and runners at the corners.

Edit #3: Wilmer Flores RBI single makes it 3-2 with two runners still on and two outs.

Archived