Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, so Zach Green and Dustin Peterson... Damn we are set then.

Come on Stearns, get us some real help.

It's Dec. 15. Come on man.

I know, just frustrating seeing other small market teams like KC making some really nice moves to improve their team.

I've never been a huge Marwin Gonzalez fan and was especially critical of him the last time he came up for free agency, largely because I am an OBP guy and Gonzalez always seemed a bit suspect in that department. Last year his OBP was beyond crappy (.286), almost to the point that you'd have a hard time living with it even if the player was a top-flight centerfielder or shortstop. But if we are talking about going completely Selig with the payroll, then I have to circle back on Gonzalez and wonder, since he will be cheap, cheap, cheap, if his defensive versatility and good third base skills might make him a nice 1-year fit for Milwaukee. bWAR from 2018-2020 = 2.3, 1.8, 0.2. fWAR from 2018-2020 = 1.5, 1.4, 0.2. Looking at DRS and UZR/150, it's pretty likely he'd give the team plus defense at third base or left field, average defense at first base or second base, bad defense at shortstop or right field.

I wonder when looking at a questionable bat, versatile defender if he wouldn't wind up just being a 1 year version of Hernan Perez. But where Perez had such dramatic splits versus left and right handed pitching, Gonzalez is a switch-hitter who has been more consistent from each side of the plate. Gonzalez was much better versus righties in 2020, but was much better against lefties in 2019. Career numbers, .321 OBP and .732 OPS against righties, .307 OBP and .724 OPS against lefties, so fairly equal between the two sides.

Steamer projects him as a .251/.323/.411/.734, 92 wRC+, 0.6 WAR player in 2021. I'd bet that if he is playing everyday at a position where he is good defensively, like 3B, that there is a pretty good chance the WAR is pushed to 1.0 or higher.

If the price stays in the 1 year, 3 - 3.5 million range, then I think he's probably one of the better 1 year, bandage type possibility for the Brewers. Even if he totally craps out with the bat, he would still bring some value as a late inning defensive replacement for the right side of the infield (where the starters could end up being complete butchers with the glove), or depending on the day, a middle inning switch-hitting pinch-hitter. Could end up overpaying for a player like this, but hard for it to become a complete disaster because versatile guys like this always seem to have some way to contribute. Even if Stearns is looking at having Hiura at 2B, Arcia at SS and Urias at 3B, Gonzalez still fits as a plus-utility type player.

I've never been a huge Marwin Gonzalez fan and was especially critical of him the last time he came up for free agency, largely because I am an OBP guy and Gonzalez always seemed a bit suspect in that department. Last year his OBP was beyond crappy (.286), almost to the point that you'd have a hard time living with it even if the player was a top-flight centerfielder or shortstop. But if we are talking about going completely Selig with the payroll, then I have to circle back on Gonzalez and wonder, since he will be cheap, cheap, cheap, if his defensive versatility and good third base skills might make him a nice 1-year fit for Milwaukee. bWAR from 2018-2020 = 2.3, 1.8, 0.2. fWAR from 2018-2020 = 1.5, 1.4, 0.2. Looking at DRS and UZR/150, it's pretty likely he'd give the team plus defense at third base or left field, average defense at first base or second base, bad defense at shortstop or right field.

I wonder when looking at a questionable bat, versatile defender if he wouldn't wind up just being a 1 year version of Hernan Perez. But where Perez had such dramatic splits versus left and right handed pitching, Gonzalez is a switch-hitter who has been more consistent from each side of the plate. Gonzalez was much better versus righties in 2020, but was much better against lefties in 2019. Career numbers, .321 OBP and .732 OPS against righties, .307 OBP and .724 OPS against lefties, so fairly equal between the two sides.

Steamer projects him as a .251/.323/.411/.734, 92 wRC+, 0.6 WAR player in 2021. I'd bet that if he is playing everyday at a position where he is good defensively, like 3B, that there is a pretty good chance the WAR is pushed to 1.0 or higher.

If the price stays in the 1 year, 3 - 3.5 million range, then I think he's probably one of the better 1 year, bandage type possibility for the Brewers. Even if he totally craps out with the bat, he would still bring some value as a late inning defensive replacement for the right side of the infield (where the starters could end up being complete butchers with the glove), or depending on the day, a middle inning switch-hitting pinch-hitter. Could end up overpaying for a player like this, but hard for it to become a complete disaster because versatile guys like this always seem to have some way to contribute. Even if Stearns is looking at having Hiura at 2B, Arcia at SS and Urias at 3B, Gonzalez still fits as a plus-utility type player.

If we can get the hitter he was in 2017, I would be all for it.... .303/.377/.530 23 HR 90 RBI switch hitter and great D, hell yes!

Nope, we just keep dumpster diving... Signed Hoby Milner and Dylan Cozens to MiLB deals.

Just throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks.

You need veteran-ish NRI guys in ST and on your AAA roster. Every year some of those guys stick in AAA past ST, some don't. Being in ST lets them train & play with the big-leaguers (and amidst the highest level of ST competition) and with the major league coaches' eyes on them, which is good in the event they ever get called up.

If the Brewers thought they were likely serious, big-league solutions, they'd be on big-league contracts. But they're not.

I know I posted about this already but I just can't believe how boring the MLB offseasons have become. I used to look forward to it as something exciting during the winter months but man, what a snooze-fest it has become. Not only that but because of the current situation, all teams are cutting payroll which means there probably won't be much craziness coming in the future.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I know I posted about this already but I just can't believe how boring the MLB offseasons have become. I used to look forward to it as something exciting during the winter months but man, what a snooze-fest it has become. Not only that but because of the current situation, all teams are cutting payroll which means there probably won't be much craziness coming in the future.

Yeah pretty crazy to think that the biggest free agent signing so far has been James McCann.

COVID sucks on so many different levels...

It's been boring that last couple winters before this as well.

I don't know, the off season we signed Moose and Grandal was pretty cool...

Year before that it was Yelich and Cain...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I agree on that, I was merely talking as a whole... Very, very slow moving.

The MLB has managed to kill the one thing that keeps them relevant in the off-season. Not that it surprises me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Winter Meetings certainly isn't as exciting as it used to be, but this is also a good reminder that it's still early in the offseason as well. The Grandal signing was on January 14th, the Yelich and Cain acquisitions happened on January 25th/26th, and the Moustakas signing was on February 19th. That said, I'm not holding my breath on anything too exciting happening this offseason.

Damn, I saw that Roberto Ramos re-signed with KBO team.

I would have loved to bring him back to US on like a 2 or 3 yr deal to have him play 1B... Big kid 6'4", lefty, turns 27 next week.

He had a nice 2019 AAA and 2020 KBO season.

With Bell now with Nationals, how about Ryan Zimmerman to platoon with Vogelbach? He's mashed lefties his entire career. Would he play for anyone other than the Nats? Maybe he could entice his draft mate Braun to come back for another go?

I'm doubting Zimmerman plays for any team other than the Nats..

I'll seen a few posts on other sites suggesting that the Nats might use Zimmerman/ Bell as a platoon (with Bell vs the lefties)...

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting them signing him with Dom Smith on the roster. It really does suggest that a deal for Smith might be possible, and the Brewers should be all over that.

I really think its the NYMets gathering parts to fill future holes as they trade a package to either Colorado (for Arenado) or ChiCubs (for Kris Bryant)..

Interesting them signing him with Dom Smith on the roster. It really does suggest that a deal for Smith might be possible, and the Brewers should be all over that.

I really think its the NYMets gathering parts to fill future holes as they trade a package to either Colorado (for Arenado) or ChiCubs (for Kris Bryant)..

Cubs trading Bryant for like JD Davis, Thomas Szapucki & a couple teenagers would be pretty satisfying.

Archived