Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black

Semien’s value is immense as an SS. His bat plays well at 3rd if he hits like he did in 2019. If he hits like he did the rest of his career (.725-ish OPS), he’s an all-star caliber SS, and a below average 3B offensively.

But, if he plays like he did in 2019, he’s MVP caliber wherever he plays.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will Sammon of The Athletic put out this piece yesterday that looked at seven position players that could be options for the Brewers in free agency, Which free agents are realistic targets for Brewers and fill their needs?

Included in the players discussed as possibilities for the Brewers are Tommy LaStella and Didi Gregorius. One player not mentioned in Will’s article that I think remains an outside possibility is Marcus Semien. There have been reports that teams have asked Semien about his willingness to play 3B (which sounds like something the Brewers would do), and I think the shortstop market is going to be depressed this offseason by the fact only small markets really have a glaring need at shortstop (Reds, A’s). The Angels were in the market for a shortstop, but they traded for Jose Iglesias to fill their need. Next year star shortstops Francisco Lindor and Corey Seager are expected to be available as free agents, and Trea Turner will hit the market the following season. I think there is a chance Semien’s market won’t be as strong as he hoped for and he settles for a one year deal (similar to Gregorius last season). Now whether the Brewers would be willing to pony up $14-$16 million for a one year deal with Semien is something we can debate, but I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibilities.

You can't see the whole article, so thanks for the synopsis. I just don't see the Brewers throwing out that kind of money for a one year rental. To many holes to fill for a team looking to cut payroll.

I just don't see the Brewers throwing out that kind of money for a one year rental. To many holes to fill for a team looking to cut payroll.

I don't think it's completely crazy to think that their entire offseason strategy could revolve around A)signing one more significant FA, like Semien, and B)hoping that the rest of the offensive roster simply reverts back closer to career norms. Not an unreasonable strategy, IMO, which could work in and of itself.

Included in the players discussed as possibilities for the Brewers are Tommy LaStella and Didi Gregorius. One player not mentioned in Will’s article that I think remains an outside possibility is Marcus Semien. There have been reports that teams have asked Semien about his willingness to play 3B (which sounds like something the Brewers would do), and I think the shortstop market is going to be depressed this offseason by the fact only small markets really have a glaring need at shortstop (Reds, A’s). The Angels were in the market for a shortstop, but they traded for Jose Iglesias to fill their need. Next year star shortstops Francisco Lindor and Corey Seager are expected to be available as free agents, and Trea Turner will hit the market the following season. I think there is a chance Semien’s market won’t be as strong as he hoped for and he settles for a one year deal (similar to Gregorius last season). Now whether the Brewers would be willing to pony up $14-$16 million for a one year deal with Semien is something we can debate, but I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibilities.

I don't think Semien will get $14-16 million for a one year deal. I think in this market it will be more like $10m maybe even less as I just don't see that many teams looking for a SS. In FA you have Gregorius, Simmons and Semien as the top options at SS. The teams that could possibly need a SS are small market teams and I am not sure they are going to pay top dollar for a FA at SS especially not the Reds and A's. Then you also have teams waiting until next year to get the SS that they want in either Lindor or Seager. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds trade for a SS instead of paying either Simmons, Gregorius or Semien. I think Simmons ends up with the Phillies and that leaves Gregorius and Semien looking to fill in somewhere on a team.

I think the Yankees may sign Gregorius or Simmons and move Torres to 2B if they don't resign LeMahieu. It is basically one big game of musical chairs and Semien may find himself without a chair and if I were the Brewers I would sign Semien to a 1-year deal as either the 3B or starting SS if Arcia's bat disappears completely again.

I highly doubt we will be paying even $10 million for a guy like Semien.

We all have our own opinions on what may or may not be possible, but it's impossible for any of us to know for sure. I'm hopeful that they can find $10 for a potential needle-mover like him despite the current circumstances, but who knows....

I could see them dumping $8-10M into a player if they get one-year deals. If it is multiple years, I think they go the journeymen approach again.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’m not sure what people were expecting when Vogelbach was resigned. More than likely, he’s the guy.

I refused to believe that's the case, even though that's probably the case.

I also refuse to believe that is the case and it is highly likely Vogelbach is not the guy. Find it hard to believe anybody thinks Stearns would hand the starting first base job to Vogelbach.

I do not want Dan Vogelbach on the team. He was fine to grab mid pandemic season after letting Smoak go, but to actually start a season thinking this guy is going to get any sort of meaningful playing time is inexcusable.

Had he continued the trajectory he was in when the Blue Jays DFA'd him, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. But he was pretty much the exact opposite of what was advertised. Granted, it was a small sample, but I don't see much harm in at least bringing him to Spring Training to see if he is anything close to the player he looked like in that short sample. I get that chances are he's not, but there is little risk here IMO.

I get some of the concerns about Vogelbach, but I'm feeling more optimistic about him. However, if he's an absolute disaster in ST, they can let him go and it'll cost just under $250K -- not chump change, but a relatively low-risk gamble -- and other options will surely be available.

I do not want Dan Vogelbach on the team. He was fine to grab mid pandemic season after letting Smoak go, but to actually start a season thinking this guy is going to get any sort of meaningful playing time is inexcusable.

Couldn't you say the same thing about Justin Smoak, Eric Sogard, Brock Holt, etc.?

Cron is actually pretty good. I don't really want Vogelbach playing 1B at all, but Cron is a good option there.

After watching Cron in his year in MN, I think he'd be a pretty *meh* signing at best. Decent power but, overall, nothing great. . . . Of course that's several steps up from Smoak, which isn't saying much in Cron's favor.

I think there's more merit to finding some prospect-type who's blocked (a la the Houston young corner IF mentioned in that thread).

I guess Seimen's market is progressing... Maybe we are of the teams that asked him to move to 3B.

I think I would be ok with him over there.

From what I saw he is estimated to get 2/$30M or 3/$44M. If that's the case, he is far to expensive for the Brewers situation. Plus you have to ask if 2019 was the real Semien or just an anomaly. Before 2019 Semien wasn't anywhere near his 2019 numbers. He was a .245ish/.312 hitter.

I don't know if Semien would be a good add or not, seems more like a one year wonder kind of player. What I do know is, if the Brewers don't have $10+ million per year to sink into a free agent player they are bound to have a bunch of one-year band-aids again in 2021.

James McCann just got $40 million across 4 years. Let that sink in for a moment, from ages 24 through 28 he put up a .653 OPS. Any team could get a catcher with a career .653 OPS on a minor league deal with an invite to camp. Its the .808 OPS in 149 games (across two seasons) with the Sox that he's now got a multi-year deal averaging $10 million a season. If $10 million dollars is the going rate for free agents who will be starters but not cornerstone players, we might end up seeing Sogard Part III in 2021

How about Dustin Peterson? Looks like we have signed him as he is on his way to the US for a physical. Former 2nd rounder from the Padres.

It appears that, so far at least, the method Stearns has employed this offseason has been to go after former top prospect-types who have a skill set they are looking for, but for one reason or another have not been able to stick at the MLB level long term. Not super exciting, but probably more upside than what they did last year, targeting a bunch of arguably over-the-hill vets to fill out the roster. Of course, these veteran minor league signings could simply be to fill out the depth in Nashville too.

It appears that, so far at least, the method Stearns has employed this offseason has been to go after former top prospect-types who have a skill set they are looking for, but for one reason or another have not been able to stick at the MLB level long term. Not super exciting, but probably more upside than what they did last year, targeting a bunch of arguably over-the-hill vets to fill out the roster. Of course, these veteran minor league signings could simply be to fill out the depth in Nashville too.

In a vacuum I significantly prefer the approach where they look for talented players that haven't fully clicked but are at least still around their mid-20s (25-27) over signing guys that have seen a slight bit more MLB success but are either approaching or on the wrong side of 30.

Most of them obviously won't work out, but there is seemingly a higher upside to if you do end up with a success story or two.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived