Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black
Todd Frazier is officially a FA. I suppose he could be an option at 3B.

Are we turning back the clock to 2015? Since opening day of 2016 (covering 2000+ at bats), Todd Frazier has hit .226/.318/.431, struck out in 26% of his at bats, and will be 35 by opening day 2021.

I hope the team has their sights set higher than bringing in another aging veteran who struggles to make contact and get on base. Didn't they already have Sogard multiple times?

Frazier signed a $5 million guaranteed deal with the Rangers last January ($3.5 million base, $5.75 million option for 2021 with a $1.5 million buyout). I suspect he's looking at perhaps a little less than that this year, but probably not by much. He's also entering his age 35 season. For roughly what's probably going to be around the same amount of money, I'll take Gyorko hands down to handle the bulk of the 3B chores in 2021.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Todd Frazier is officially a FA. I suppose he could be an option at 3B.

Are we turning back the clock to 2015? Since opening day of 2016 (covering 2000+ at bats), Todd Frazier has hit .226/.318/.431, struck out in 26% of his at bats, and will be 35 by opening day 2021.

I hope the team has their sights set higher than bringing in another aging veteran who struggles to make contact and get on base. Didn't they already have Sogard multiple times?

Well considering what we did last offseason and the fact the payroll was likely to shrink before the disaster known as COVID...unfortunately I think he is certainly someone they may target.

I believe the 3B market is also pathetically weak. You can slide Gyorko over there (I think), but the 1B market is also pretty terrible. Maybe you keep Vogelbach...but that dude really shouldn't see the field and his offense isn't that great. Cool hot streak he had, but I doubt he is actually some huge plus on offense.

FanGraphs released their 2021 Top 50 Free Agents list.

It includes both crowdsourced contract estimates as well as Craig Edwards best guesses.

Most intriguing guy on that list from Brewer perspective is James McCann. He's been one of the better catchers the last couple seasons.

Quintana and/or Ray might be worth shot on a short term deal too.

Both of those would be just fine by me, and they'd likely improve the team quite well.
I'd cheer if that happened. Bring Gyorko back for 3B and I'd be thrilled. I'm just unsure if this team can pay those salaries given the financial restraints right now.

Both of those would be just fine by me, and they'd likely improve the team quite well.
I'd cheer if that happened. Bring Gyorko back for 3B and I'd be thrilled. I'm just unsure if this team can pay those salaries given the financial restraints right now.

Since the Brewers declined Gyorko's $4.5 million dollar option for 2021, absent extenuating circumstances, he's probably not going to then take a pay cut to come back to Milwaukee.

Since the Brewers declined Gyorko's $4.5 million dollar option for 2021, absent extenuating circumstances, he's probably not going to then take a pay cut to come back to Milwaukee.

Agreed, Marwin Gonzalez it is then.

MLB Trade Rumors: 2020-21 Top 50 MLB Free Agents With Predictions

Their Brewers predictions...

36. Robbie Ray – Brewers. One year, $6MM.

38. Carlos Santana – Brewers. One year, $6MM.

I wouldn't mind Santana who could at least fill a huge hole at 1B even if it isn't a long term fix. However I wouldn't touch Ray. He walks a ton of guys (even if you ignore 2020) and he allows more hard hit balls than all but a very few SPs. Neither of those things plays well in Milwaukee.

Gyorko would be great to bring back, for a platoon. He doesn’t hit righties well and basically all his damage last year was done vs lefties. He’s make a great platoon mate with La Stella.

Despite the cheapness likely coming, Justin Turner still has to be appealing. He’s only predicted 2/24 on MLBTR. That’s great value compared to Donaldson’s contract last year, and they’re pretty similar players

Jake Lamb is the guy that I'm looking at for 3B. Got off to a horrible start but ended well with OAK and is only 30.

Lamb would be a last resort-because-there -is-no-one-else guy. He has really sucked the last three years and would be on a one year deal at best. Shades of the journeyman 2020 season. If Stearns is going to go with a stop-gap fix at 3B I'd like to see A. Cabrera. He'd get about the same type money on a one year deal as Lamb and he's a better all around player.

CBS named Howie Kendrick as the fit for the Brewers. I hadn't given him much thought but he's an intriguing guy especially if Braun isn't in the mix. His numbers tailed off considerably but hard to draw conclusions on 100 AB's. B-R projects him for .286/.343/.467 for 2021. They could do a lot worse, and at 37 he shouldn't break the bank. He's basically Braun in that he's more a part time player but one that can be very productive. If the had both Braun and Kendrick? They could split time against RHP and both be in the lineup vs. LHP?

CBS named Howie Kendrick as the fit for the Brewers. I hadn't given him much thought but he's an intriguing guy especially if Braun isn't in the mix. His numbers tailed off considerably but hard to draw conclusions on 100 AB's. B-R projects him for .286/.343/.467 for 2021. They could do a lot worse, and at 37 he shouldn't break the bank. He's basically Braun in that he's more a part time player but one that can be very productive. If the had both Braun and Kendrick? They could split time against RHP and both be in the lineup vs. LHP?

Howie Kendrick is not basically Ryan Braun. He sure has been some sort of monster at Nationals Ball Park, but prior to his arrival in Washington he was a career .291/.334/.421 hitter. Braun, by contrast, has never had an OPS of below .769.

As for baseball reference projecting a 37 year old player coming off injuries to produce offensively well above career norms, is dicey. The Brewers went down this road already signing a bunch of aging vets coming off bad years to one year deals, and we can all agree it blew up in their face, so I don't see why they would want to go right back down that road with Kendrick for 2021.

Howie Kendrick is not basically Ryan Braun. He sure has been some sort of monster at Nationals Ball Park, but prior to his arrival in Washington he was a career .291/.334/.421 hitter. Braun, by contrast, has never had an OPS of below .769.

As for baseball reference projecting a 37 year old player coming off injuries to produce offensively well above career norms, is dicey. The Brewers went down this road already signing a bunch of aging vets coming off bad years to one year deals, and we can all agree it blew up in their face, so I don't see why they would want to go right back down that road with Kendrick for 2021.

They are similar in that they are 5 months apart in age and both aren't everyday players. But both can still hit when healthy. Braun's always had more power but he played a power position. Their career WAR's are not that far apart. Braun's a career .296 hitter to Kendrick's .294. Braun clearly still has more power but both still make good contact. B-R projects Braun for .253/.314/.460. They are both guys the Brewers could use in their lineup somewhere on one year deals.

T Walker 3/$25

T LaStella 2/$14

C Santana 1/$7 plus club option 1/$4

Should solve most of what ails you and not cost too much. If Walker bounces back it could be a steal.

I think what most are failing to understand is that we are not going to add that kind of payroll. it just isn't going to happen. That plan alone would add another 20 million to our current payroll. Sadly, that just isn't going to happen in 2021.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Cots currently has us at 83 million for 2021 with Arby's estimates. Opening Day 2020 was 97 million pre-pandemic.

Not offering roast beef sammys to Knebel (5.0), Arcia (3.0), Claudio (2.25), Manny (2.0), Gamel (1.75), Vogelbach (1.0) & Peterson (0.8) nets about 12 million in savings, bringing it down to 71 million.

I don't think it'll happen, but a Hader deal could free up another 5 million or so.

How much money there will be for free agency all depends on just how much the payroll is getting cut, arbitration decisions, any possible trades & how the market plays out.

I'd guess payroll comes in around 80-85 million which would mean something like 15 million for free agency depending on how all the other moving pieces fall into place.

Archived