Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black
Since 3B is going to be a platoon, I can’t see the logic in having both Robertson and Arcia being the righty options (Urias should likely start all the time) and not just keep one. Then sign Gyorko to platoon with Shaw and be a plan B in case Shaw sucks again. Arcia doesn’t hit lefties, or anyone, well anyway

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since 3B is going to be a platoon, I can’t see the logic in having both Robertson and Arcia being the righty options (Urias should likely start all the time) and not just keep one. Then sign Gyorko to platoon with Shaw and be a plan B in case Shaw sucks again. Arcia doesn’t hit lefties, or anyone, well anyway

I think Gyorko still makes a lot of sense for this team. You can do a straight Shaw/Gyorko platoon to start, and both those guys are also good at 1B, which provides insurance for Hiura. Both can also play 2B. I wonder if they think Robertson could be younger (and cheaper) version of Gyorko?

I think Gyorko still makes a lot of sense for this team. You can do a straight Shaw/Gyorko platoon to start, and both those guys are also good at 1B, which provides insurance for Hiura. Both can also play 2B. I wonder if they think Robertson could be younger (and cheaper) version of Gyorko?

That is possible, but at least Robertson could still handle SS and be the backup to the Urias there. That way, they could have Gyorko and Robertson as the 2B/3B platoon RHBs and still have SS coverage. And they could move on from Arcia

Cespedes is a guy that is fun to watch, especially his arm which is fantastic. I'd like to see the Brewers sign him for that reason alone. But there are arguments to be made about if he is a reasonable fit for the roster. The Brewers stuck Braun in right field last year, not Yelich, which is extremely strong evidence that the Brewers do not want Yelich back in right field anytime soon. And at this point in his career, Cespedes is slower than most catchers and is probably limited to playing left field (also worth noting that Cepedes has never played right field, which is pretty amazing considering the cannon arm). So from that perspective, Cespedes doesn't really make that much sense. On the other hand, I look at the Brewers outfield depth past the three starters, and frankly it looks like just about any warm body could present a potential upgrade.

Cespedes is a guy that is fun to watch, especially his arm which is fantastic. I'd like to see the Brewers sign him for that reason alone. But there are arguments to be made about if he is a reasonable fit for the roster. The Brewers stuck Braun in right field last year, not Yelich, which is extremely strong evidence that the Brewers do not want Yelich back in right field anytime soon. And at this point in his career, Cespedes is slower than most catchers and is probably limited to playing left field (also worth noting that Cepedes has never played right field, which is pretty amazing considering the cannon arm). So from that perspective, Cespedes doesn't really make that much sense. On the other hand, I look at the Brewers outfield depth past the three starters, and frankly it looks like just about any warm body could present a potential upgrade.

On the other hand, I look at the Brewers outfield depth past the three starters, and frankly it looks like just about any warm body could present a potential upgrade.

I think you and many others are underselling Tyrone.

I'm expecting good things from him this year as our #4 outfielder.

On the other hand, I look at the Brewers outfield depth past the three starters, and frankly it looks like just about any warm body could present a potential upgrade.

Cespedes is a guy that is fun to watch, especially his arm which is fantastic. I'd like to see the Brewers sign him for that reason alone. But there are arguments to be made about if he is a reasonable fit for the roster. The Brewers stuck Braun in right field last year, not Yelich, which is extremely strong evidence that the Brewers do not want Yelich back in right field anytime soon. And at this point in his career, Cespedes is slower than most catchers and is probably limited to playing left field (also worth noting that Cespedes has never played right field, which is pretty amazing considering the cannon arm). So from that perspective, Cespedes doesn't really make that much sense. On the other hand, I look at the Brewers outfield depth past the three starters, and frankly it looks like just about any warm body could present a potential upgrade.

You basically just guaranteed that Stearns will sign him and will be our opening day right fielder ;) It’s the Stearns way!

Cespedes is a guy that is fun to watch, especially his arm which is fantastic. I'd like to see the Brewers sign him for that reason alone. But there are arguments to be made about if he is a reasonable fit for the roster. The Brewers stuck Braun in right field last year, not Yelich, which is extremely strong evidence that the Brewers do not want Yelich back in right field anytime soon. And at this point in his career, Cespedes is slower than most catchers and is probably limited to playing left field (also worth noting that Cespedes has never played right field, which is pretty amazing considering the cannon arm). So from that perspective, Cespedes doesn't really make that much sense. On the other hand, I look at the Brewers outfield depth past the three starters, and frankly it looks like just about any warm body could present a potential upgrade.

You basically just guaranteed that Stearns will sign him and will be our opening day right fielder ;) It’s the Stearns way!

I don't think anyone is underselling him. To his credit, there weren't many major league players taken in the 2nd round in 2012, so that he made it at all is an achievement. However, when he turned pro in 2012 Taylor was a CF with speed as his best tool.

I'm sure Tyrone Taylor would be adequate as a 5th outfielder, backing up CF, pinch running, defensive replacement and pinch hitting etc. He's miscast, however, as a corner outfielder, especially with Counsell who historically gets his 4th outfielder 350+ at bats. He hasn't hit enough or with enough power in the minors to suggest he'll be adequate as a semi-regular corner outfielder.

I don't think anyone is underselling him. To his credit, there weren't many major league players taken in the 2nd round in 2012, so that he made it at all is an achievement. However, when he turned pro in 2012 Taylor was a CF with speed as his best tool.

I'm sure Tyrone Taylor would be adequate as a 5th outfielder, backing up CF, pinch running, defensive replacement and pinch hitting etc. He's miscast, however, as a corner outfielder, especially with Counsell who historically gets his 4th outfielder 350+ at bats. He hasn't hit enough or with enough power in the minors to suggest he'll be adequate as a semi-regular corner outfielder.

Taylor's slugged .486 with 34 HR in 211 games at AAA, well above what he did in the lower levels where he was more of a doubles machine. He was flat out raking in the month leading up to his being called up in September of 2019. I think he's a 20-22 HR guy if he got regular AB's in the majors. I think you're underestimating his bat.

Taylor's slugged .486 with 34 HR in 211 games at AAA, well above what he did in the lower levels where he was more of a doubles machine. He was flat out raking in the month leading up to his being called up in September of 2019. I think he's a 20-22 HR guy if he got regular AB's in the majors. I think you're underestimating his bat.

Taylor is a guy that will succeed if given the opportunity imo.

I hope it's in a Brewers uniform, but it is almost looking like it won't be now that we signed Bradley to do what Taylor can do.

We still have no real 3B, and now a crowded outfield.

We have plenty of guys to play 3B. It just isn't who a lot of fans want. Arcia, Shaw, Robertson etc... will be there this season and I could see them out playing a lot of expectations.

I also don't see it as a crowded outfield. I see it as stacking players to provide much needed depth out there. We added a left-handed bat that pairs well with either Garcia or Cain. Not only that but he's basically Cain-like defensively.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Those raw slugging & HR totals are likely inflated because 2018 was in the launching pad of Colorado Springs then 2019 AAA used the juiced MLB baseball.

Minor league wRC+ isn't park adjusted, but it does take leaguewide offensive context into account & Tyrone posted a 110 wRC+ in 2018 at Colo Springs & a 90 wRC+ in 2019 at San Antonio.

For all his HR & SLG in AAA the last two years he's still only been around a league average-ish hitter.

So, what's left, if anything for Milwaukee? We seemingly had/have more money than thought, and it remains to be seen as to whether they're done or if there's still some to throw out there.

With the focus clearly on defense/run prevention, is there anyone else out there that fits the bill? Pitching probably is the most logical place to add, if they're still looking to.

So, what's left, if anything for Milwaukee? We seemingly had/have more money than thought, and it remains to be seen as to whether they're done or if there's still some to throw out there.

With the focus clearly on defense/run prevention, is there anyone else out there that fits the bill? Pitching probably is the most logical place to add, if they're still looking to.

Adding Odorizzi to rotation.

After adding Bradley Jr. I don't see the Brewers spending anything more on FAs. I just don't see the team the way they are currently set up as contenders. After Woody and Burnes there isn't much and 3B is a hole once again.

After adding Bradley Jr. I don't see the Brewers spending anything more on FAs.

You've said we weren't adding payroll all offseason. I guess if you keep saying it, you will eventually be right!

After adding Bradley Jr. I don't see the Brewers spending anything more on FAs. I just don't see the team the way they are currently set up as contenders. After Woody and Burnes there isn't much and 3B is a hole once again.

After Flaherty, there isn't much and the Cardinals 2B are projected essentially as bad as the Brewers 3B.

If the Brewers aren't contenders, then neither are the Cardinals nor the Cubs nor the Reds.

Somebody's gotta win the NL Central I guess.

Yea I cant believe all the talking heads picking the Cards to win the division... Mentioning how good there pitching, ummm what? After Jack who do they have.

I dont get it.

After adding Bradley Jr. I don't see the Brewers spending anything more on FAs.

Did you see them spending anything more on FAs before they signed JBJ either?

NO I didn't see them signing anybody after Turner was gone unless it was Odorizzi. I still can't get this signing unless there is something about Cain they are not releasing. Garcia: 9 years - .271/.324/.746 - 9.5 O-war. Bradley: 8 seasons - .239/.321/.732 - 8 O-war. 2021 projections for Bradley .237/.324/.737 Projections for Tyrone Taylor ..246/.324/.758....

Archived