Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black
Go get David Robertson to round out the bullpen and call the offseason good. Didn’t have a good year in 2020 in a small sample but has obviously been really good his whole career. Don’t think he’ll cost all that much.

I'm not convinced on Robertson. He just had TJ surgery, barely pitched in 2019 and didn't throw at all in 2020. Maybe if he came real cheap.

Oops, didn’t realize he had TJ and I misread his stats thinking he pitched last year. Yeah maybe not then.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a Robertson addition could be a pretty good one. I'm looking at the list of free agents and there are guys I would prefer, Jake Odorizzi being one. But if you just look at pure upside, Robertson is probably the best guy still available. Only challenger to that I can find would be Roberto Osuna but he had Tommy John more recently and I'm assuming he will miss most, if not all, of the 2021 season (and obviously I'm ignoring all the other stuff that surrounds Osuna and am only looking at pure upside).

If the Brewers were really in on Turner, and have only spent a fraction of what they would have spent on Turner when they signed Anderson and Shaw...seems like there is money there to take a flyer on a boom-or-bust guy like Robertson.

And as far as the injury concern...Robertson was never a guy that lived on velocity. Pretty much lived in the 92 MPH region with a fastball/cutter and then had a nasty, nasty curveball. Sure it's possible that his 92 MPH will become an 89 MPH and he'll get shelled at that velocity. But I like his chances for a comeback a bit better considering he wasn't a guy who lived on a power fastball.

Odorizzi would definitely raise the floor for the rotation & be a fun old school reunion. Crazy that the Greinke trade was ten years ago now.

ZiPS projects Jake for 120 IP at 100 ERA+ (1.5 WAR) in 2021, which is essentially the Taijuan Walker projection with a few more IP.

The advantages Odo has are that he has a better track record of health, his kind of maybe breakout (159 IP | 71 ERA- | 73 FIP-) in 2019 was more recent & his injuries in 2020 (blister, line drive to chest) were fluky/not arm related, though obviously blisters can be a recurring issue for some guys.

Gotta figure he's looking for at least 3/30 if Walker got 2/20.

Would the Brewers offer 3 for $30 million for Odorizzi? I know they reportedly offered that kind of money to Turner but my gut just tells me they wouldn’t offer that to Odorizzi. I think the Brewers always think more highly of their internal pitching options than us fans do. It would be fun but I would be surprised to see them go this route.

Would the Brewers offer 3 for $30 million for Odorizzi? I know they reportedly offered that kind of money to Turner but my gut just tells me they wouldn’t offer that to Odorizzi. I think the Brewers always think more highly of their internal pitching options than us fans do. It would be fun but I would be surprised to see them go this route.

With Stearns history of not making big investments in pitching, I'd be completely shocked if the Brewers would give Odorizzi a three year deal. I'm guessing the Brewers would only go one season. Taijuan Walker getting a two year deal tells me that thinking Odorizzi only getting a one year deal is not realistic. But on the other hand, it's February 21 and Odorizzi does not have a deal yet. So even if he has a multi-year offer, there is always a chance that he thinks that offer is too low and he might be willing to do a one year deal and then try again next off-season.

According to Jon Heyman, Brewers made a good try for Rosenthal (have you heard that before?), so there must have been a good offer rather than just checking in. So Brewers would clearly still like to upgrade the bullpen... is there anyone left that would be a big upgrade? Is Greene the best remaining?

According to Jon Heyman, Brewers made a good try for Rosenthal (have you heard that before?), so there must have been a good offer rather than just checking in. So Brewers would clearly still like to upgrade the bullpen... is there anyone left that would be a big upgrade? Is Greene the best remaining?

From what I've seen, these are the "best" 5 remaining pen arms still available (other than Greene):

David Robertson (if he's recovered)

Roberto Osuna (gross)

Jesse Chavez

Tyler Clippard

Darren O'Day

Pickings are getting pretty slim. I think the Brewers are more than likely to roll with what they have at this point.

Agreed, I’m not sure if those are enough of an upgrade over the current options. That allows them to hopefully use the remaining budget to upgrade in-season. I read Boxberger has looked good so far, so that would help.

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

13s

Sources: Brewers in the mix for free-agent outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

He'd make a hell of a 4th OFer ....

or????

I can’t imagine he’d go somewhere where he’d be the 4th outfielder unless there’s just no interest from anyone else. Or like you said, something weird is in the works.

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

13s

Sources: Brewers in the mix for free-agent outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

Wait what????????????? We gotta be moving Cain or Garcia then, there's no way JBJ signs here to be a platoon/4th OF.

This move would be something tho!

Do we know if Cain is going to play a full season?

It has been reported multiple times that the Brewers fully expect Cain to play this season.

Nothing has been mentioned or implied that he would play part if the season and then opt out.

Until Cain, Stearns or CC says otherwise we should all assume he will be back full time.

I'd take Bradley over both Garcia and Cain.

This would be great if we trade one of Cain/Garcia for a real 3B somehow...

If all three produce at their career norms, considering their total game, Cain's the best of the 3 and it's not even close.

If all three produce at their career norms, considering their total game, Cain's the best of the 3 and it's not even close.

Except Cain, is old, and Bradley is younger with more upside today...

No contest, I'd take Bradley over Cain today.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Except Cain, is old, and Bradley is younger with more upside today...

No contest, I'd take Bradley over Cain today.

At age 30 and a mostly unspectacular career offensive output, what upside do you see that's better than Cain's offense? Cain was off to a good start in 2020 -- in line with his career norms before opting out -- and he's not been banged up for over a year. When Stearns signed Cain, his comment about the money & term in that investment was that their analytics suggested Cain's skill set would age well.

Maybe we just agree to disagree. No harm in that.

JBJ is 4 years removed from his one All Star season. Read the comments on Mlbtr on Brewers interest, one is a Sox fan that said good take him. Fall for the fact he was in one of his hot streaks in 2020 that didnt have the trash streak over a full season. Pretty much read that as a .235/.320/420 batter with solid defense. Nowhere near the upside of Cain his elder. Cain may post a BA higher than JBJ's OB. Hes a high floor player with little upside. Bats lefty and good side for a platoon with Garcia or injury insurance. I mentioned for the price he would make a solid solution to not pick up Garcia's option after 2021 and still have a Starting OF to plug in.

Archived