Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeffress with a solid GB% rate. Maybe a reunion makes sense there. If you're playing good defense on the infield as we should, use it to your advantage.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Now, there are several solid relievers out there yet. One who I haven't heard much about, though, who had a nice season last year, is Jeremy Jeffress. I wonder if a reunion may be in order?

As much as we all tend to love Jeffress, I think that ship has sailed. In 2020, that 1.54 ERA was masked by a 4.09 FIP and 4.69 xFIP.

I think I'm just a sucker for redemption archs LOL.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am too. I am over the moon about Travis Shaw being back. Nothing I am rooting harder for individually on the team in 2021 than a return to something resembling 2017-2018 Shaw.

I mean, a 4.09 FIP last season is not bad for a guy who might be looking for a minor league deal at this point in the offseason. Jeffress has been weirdly up-and-down throughout his career. I'd not be opposed to a (fourth? fifth?) reunion at all.

Interesting to hear they're still in on relievers, and not just guys that would come on a NRI. There are a few interesting arms still out there among the 33 relievers listed on FanGraph's free agent tracker:

2018-20:

1r6qD2y.png

David Robertson would be an amazing add behind Hader and Williams. Though if he's looking for a one-year deal to prove himself, he might not want to come to Milwaukee where he is unlikely to get any saves.

(For those who aren't aware, he missed basically all of 2019-20 with injuries.)

If Robertson wants to close to earn more money with his next team, I say we let him do that.

Agreed. Let Robertson (or whomever) face whatever random part of the lineup is up in the 9th and situationally target the opponents' best hitters/game's most pivotal moments during the 6th-8th innings with Hader and Williams.

The one thing you don't have to worry about with Jeffress is that he's not afraid of the moment. He doesn't always get it done but it's not because he's rattled. Then on the other hand the Cubs chose to bring back Strop and not Jeffress to this point.

Not that I have any inside scoop, but the Cubs re-signing Strop but not Jeffress could also be a matter of asking-price.

Question, can options be negotiated into a contract? Like for example a could a team sign a guy with no options to a 1 year contract that includes the ability to option them to the minors?

I would assume that is against the CBA.

Sure, if Jeffress was willing to take a NRI the Brewers should see if he has anything left in the tank. However, last year his walks were up, strike outs were down and his numbers looked good due to a 3.9 H/9, and a 0.4 HR/9. Both of these numbers are waaay below his career marks, which with a regression to the mean without improvement elsewhere would mean he’d probably be getting pummeled regularly.

With a significant amount of free agents remaining with substantial MLB experience, I do think the Brewers should try to bring in as many as they can on low risk contracts. It could only raise the overa talent level on the roster.

I wonder how Osuna’s elbow injury rehab is going? There was talk he could possibly need Tommy John.

Like I said earlier, I'm a sucker for redemption archs, but only to a point. Oof!

I'd be fine if we stayed away from him. He was suspended for violating the MLB's Domestic Violence policy. https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/mlb-suspends-blue-jays-reliever-roberto-osuna-75-games/

Go get David Robertson to round out the bullpen and call the offseason good. Didn’t have a good year in 2020 in a small sample but has obviously been really good his whole career. Don’t think he’ll cost all that much.

I'm not convinced on Robertson. He just had TJ surgery, barely pitched in 2019 and didn't throw at all in 2020. Maybe if he came real cheap.

Archived