Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Franco is pretty clearly worse than a guy like Todd Frazier at everything, I think. The only advantage he offers is there might be some upside left for a former hyped prospect who is still only 28. (And he was actually pretty good with Kansas City in 2020.) There's a reason the Phillies kept putting him out there even when he was terrible. Since we already have our own internal upside options, a steady veteran makes the most sense to me.

I have high hopes for Urias, so I don't really have an issue with him beginning the year as our 3B... as long as Arcia produces. Otherwise longterm I think you want Urias to be the guy that replaces Arcia at SS. But for now, we can jumble around Urias, Arcia, Robertson, etc., and see what we have before maybe making a move at the deadline if needed.

Yeah it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they are comfortable with Urias as the starting 3B heading into the season. They gave up a lot to get him and probably want to see what he has to offer in a full season. At this point, I’m fully expecting Urias to be at 3B barring something unusual happening.

Tbh I have been against Franco a majority of the offseason but now I'm coming around on him. How does his defense compare to guys like Shaw, Frazier, or Gyorko?

2018-20 Defensive Stats at 3B:

zXHAg44.png

I don't know if someone with better defensive stats understanding can explain Franco's crazy bad DRS (defensive runs saved) score. It is a cumulative stat and he's got the most innings in at the position, so it makes sense that it could be a little further from zero than others, but that's pretty drastic.

The only way you find out is by playing them. Bring on the 2021 season!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Only way I'm content with Urias is if he becomes .330 AVG/.400 OBP with elite defense guy.

Can't wait to be last in the majors in HRs... Only power sources are Yelich, Hiura, Narvaez and Garcia

I find it curious that for weeks so much that you've posted reiterates how you're completely certain the Brewers will be mostly (completely?) worthless when it comes to any sort of power hitting.

You're strong if not relentless in your conviction (and verbalization of it), which is admirable, but in the end I'm SO tired of offensive droughts when the HR frequency ebbs, the K's flow, and the Brewers can scarcely create a rally. Don't get me wrong, I really dig the HRs, but I want an much more balanced offense. I want more guys on base, better situational hitting (and just plain better hitting in general, which also means more action on the field), better utilization of speed and other opportunities to create offense in any way possible, and, at the end of the day, the Brewers scoring more than the other team the majority of the time. If that happens, I don't think the power outage you've forecast (about which I'm not so cynical) will matter so much because we'll be winning, which is what it's really all about.

Craig Counsell's response to Haudicrout about 3B:

We’re going into camp to look at both Orlando Arcia and Luis Urías at shortstop. We need to see Urías at shortstop. I think that’s important in camp. That means we’ll probably take a look at Orlando a third base a little bit, to see what that looks like. The other player to mention right now is Daniel Robertson. I think he’ll be involved in it, but in spring training we’re going to look at Arcia and Urías at both shortstop and third base.

We need to see Luis Urías play shortstop. I think that’s something that’s important for us. That was the plan last year but first he hurt his wrist, then got COVID. He had a rough go of it there just trying to get settled in.

Sure does sound like Urias is being looked at as the main guy at SS. With that being said, I do not believe they are done adding at 3B. You cannot go into the season with Robertson as the main option with Arcia as the fallback.

Craig Counsell's response to Haudicrout about 3B:

We’re going into camp to look at both Orlando Arcia and Luis Urías at shortstop. We need to see Urías at shortstop. I think that’s important in camp. That means we’ll probably take a look at Orlando a third base a little bit, to see what that looks like. The other player to mention right now is Daniel Robertson. I think he’ll be involved in it, but in spring training we’re going to look at Arcia and Urías at both shortstop and third base.

We need to see Luis Urías play shortstop. I think that’s something that’s important for us. That was the plan last year but first he hurt his wrist, then got COVID. He had a rough go of it there just trying to get settled in.

Sure does sound like Urias is being looked at as the main guy at SS. With that being said, I do not believe they are done adding at 3B. You cannot go into the season with Robertson as the main option with Arcia as the fallback.

We will definitely be adding someone or Green will be in the mix at the very least.

For those without Twitter:

Free-agent left-hander Brett Anderson in serious discussions with Brewers, sources tell @TheAthletic.

I like this move.

Side note: On a desktop or laptop computer, you don't need to be a Twitter member for the link to work. Should also work in the web browser on your phone or tablet.

Arcia at 3B?

I don't know wether to laugh or cry.

I think I'll just puke instead.

I took that as they want Arcia to be more of a utility guy. I am not sure if the main 3B is on this team yet. Sure sounds like they are thinking Uriah is going to be the top SS on the depth chart. We'll see what happens, though.

Shaw. Seriously the last possible choice I’d be happy with. I soooooo hope I eat crow, but if he gets off to a bad start, the media and fans will lead to another negative mind game for him.

I do not trust him at all. Don’t trust him in any spot in our line-up....especially not in the 5 hole. Our line-up is so soft.

The other thing, maybe I’m wrong but, at this particular time, the FO seems loath to trade off any good prospects to make a move. We do not have much in the way of imminent additions outside of relievers, but over time, our lineup can potentially be jumpstarted by a number of prospects. The FO, having experienced this period where there are no reinforcements coming, probably doesn’t want this to continue in the future until we are more set with juice added by younger talent.

Anderson made a lot of sense as a starter and Shaw makes sense as part of a platoon.

Yep. Two low-cost, non-splashy moves that probably make the team better.

I'm not expecting Shaw to remember how to hit like he did in 2017-18 at age 31, but it sure would be great if he could contribute power...

Anderson made a lot of sense as a starter and Shaw makes sense as part of a platoon.

I'm not expecting Shaw to remember how to hit like he did in 2017-18 at age 31, but it sure would be great if he could contribute power...

Against LHP:

3B Robertson

2B Urias

SS Arcia

Against RHP:

3B Shaw

2B Wong

SS Urias

Should be good defensively and hopefully can provide some offense.

Against LHP:

3B Robertson

2B Urias

SS Arcia

Against RHP:

3B Shaw

2B Wong

SS Urias

Should be good defensively and hopefully can provide some offense.

Not sure why Wong would ever sit in favor of Robertson. That seems unlikely.

Archived