Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black
I would grab Lamb just because I'm not sure how Shaw and/or the fans will handle a return. At least for Lamb, it is a fresh start somewhere where he should be the front runner if signed.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cron couldn’t even get a major league deal. I think it’s safe to say we drastically overvalued the market for guys like him and undervalued the market for 36 year old vets like Turner. Makes me think a few others can be had out there for similar minor league type deal.

Cron couldn’t even get a major league deal. I think it’s safe to say we drastically overvalued the market for guys like him and undervalued the market for 36 year old vets like Turner. Makes me think a few others can be had out there for similar minor league type deal.

I have to think guys that the Brewers may have interest in like Mitch Moreland, Travis Shaw, Jake Lamb, Todd Frazier, Maikel Franco, Jedd Gyorko, Josh Reddick, Brett Gardner, Nick Markakis, and Jason Kipnis are all looking at minor league deals at this point. I can't imagine many more major league deals are out there to be had.

Lamb's decline is not mysterious, he had a serious injury and has never been able to hit the same. Plus he's a very poor defender.

I think Todd Frazier is the best option out there for us. He's getting up there in age at 35, but he's still been a steady enough contributor, he plays solid defense at 3B, and he can handle himself against both RHP and LHP. That gives us flexibility to either utilize him as the everyday 3B, let him backup Urias against tough righties, or even move over to play 1B and give Hiura a day off against tough lefties.

Meanwhile, he shouldn't be very expensive. Last season he only made $3,500,000 with a $1,500,000 option buyout that the Mets exercised this offseason. I'm sure he could be had on a one year deal for less than $4,000,000 at this point in the offseason.

I was just gonna post about Frazier... I would take him as our everyday 3B.

At this point, I either want Shaw (Platoon with Robertson) or Frazier (everyday) and then sign Odorizzi to a 1 yr deal with a option for 2nd year.

Mr Allen.... Can you do the baseball reference thing on Lamb and Shaw?

I say we add either of those two to platoon with Robertson and then sign Odorizzi... Done, decent offseason I guess.

Here you go!

2018-20 vs. RHP:

ObAXQIr.png

2018-20 vs. LHP:

WInaAKC.png

I usually default to the 3-year splits, but as others pointed out Shaw's and Robertson's numbers are heavily skewed from their 2018 seasons, so here are the 2-year splits as well:

2019-20 vs. RHP:

PECvWhz.png

2019-20 vs. LHP:

MVQ4voO.png

edit: Added Frazier and Gyorko to the mix

It's easy to see why Shaw and Lamb are still jobless. Those numbers vs RHP are BAD. I don't think either of them is much of an upgrade over someone like Gyorko against RHP.

Updated the charts to include Gyorko. Frazier and Shaw have been better, but to your point not significantly. That said, Gyorko still feels a little redundant when we have four 3rd base options that are also RH already (Urias, Robertson, Green, and Mathias). Even if they're just a step better than Gyorko against right handers, I think Shaw and Frazier are still better fits to throw into the mix. Or maybe there's a trade candidate that could fill that role better than all these guys. Otherwise, I think we're hoping Urias (who's still only 23 and has room to grow) or Robertson will show better numbers against righties as they have more opportunities.

If CJ Cron could only get a minor league deal there is no reason to give anything other than that to Lamb. That's about the only way I'd consider him. While he got off to a quick start with Oakland, he finished 4-26 (including playoffs) and that's about all I'd expect from him going forward.

According to sources, Walker is looking for a multi year at $10 mil per.

That’s not happening either... Im sure Odorizzi isnt happening either.

Looking likely that Zimmermann is gonna be our only addition for rotation, if he even makes it.

Why do you all believe it won't be Yelich in the two hole? That's where Counsell has pretty much always hit him in the 2 hole since he's been here

In the 3 hole so he'll have 2 good OBP guys in front of him, I would rather have a 3-0 game vs a 2-0 game.

I missed the question and will add this note. Yelich had Cain and Braun previously. That fit the R-L-R. With Braun gone and adding Wong a better OB with SB type batter. And nobody really deserving of #3 with Hiura's K problems, it makes sense to go L-R-L. If you don't where do you bat Wong? 3? It feels a waste of OB skills while a mild OPS skill. He'd probably fall down to 6 hitter. Milw's 3&4 hitters would look very inept as well.

I could be wrong but I have a hard time seeing Walker get over $10 million per year. I mean, maybe the Mets would pay that but I doubt it. If that’s the case though, he certainly won’t be a Brewer.

10 million per year is right in line with what is the going rate. Kluber got $11 million. JA Happ got 8 million. Chris Archer and Jake Arrieta each got 6 million per year and have more question marks than Walker.

The sticking point is likely wanting a multi-year deal, but $10 million per season for a 28 year old starting pitcher with his track record is reasonable.

I could be wrong but I have a hard time seeing Walker get over $10 million per year. I mean, maybe the Mets would pay that but I doubt it. If that’s the case though, he certainly won’t be a Brewer.

10 million per year is right in line with what is the going rate. Kluber got $11 million. JA Happ got 8 million. Chris Archer and Jake Arrieta each got 6 million per year and have more question marks than Walker.

The sticking point is likely wanting a multi-year deal, but $10 million per season for a 28 year old starting pitcher with his track record is reasonable.

But Walker has reached over 150IP in a season what? Once? in his career? (Just checked it's two) He has 67.1 IP total the last 3 years. All those guys who signed for 8-11mil can give you a full season of pitching. Walker gets you to September pushing his limits. That or you give him a Start off every month. And or limit him to 4IP/65pitches per start until September.

But Walker has reached over 150IP in a season what? Once? in his career? (Just checked it's two) He has 67.1 IP total the last 3 years. All those guys who signed for 8-11mil can give you a full season of pitching. Walker gets you to September pushing his limits. That or you give him a Start off every month. And or limit him to 4IP/65pitches per start until September.

I think $10 million on a 1 year deal isn't too much of an ask on Walker's part. No way would I go multiple years at that AAV.

Kluber has gone all of 37 innings the last two years combined so he certainly is no guarantee to give anybody a full season of pitching.

Of the 3B out there, there's one guy who's been at least a semi-regular at the position for the past 6 seasons and who in his worst season still hit 24 HR, 29 doubles and drove in 76 runs. He's also coming off a year when he posted a very respectable 109 OPS+. Plus he's only 28. Even though he hits right handed,. he's done decently against RHP his entire career.

The guy is Maikel Franco. I have been more leaning to a LH bat but I'm a lot less excited about Shaw or Lamb than I was Brad Miller. You gotta go with Franco don't you?

Of the 3B out there, there's one guy who's been at least a semi-regular at the position for the past 6 seasons and who in his worst season still hit 24 HR, 29 doubles and drove in 76 runs. He's also coming off a year when he posted a very respectable 109 OPS+. Plus he's only 28. Even though he hits right handed,. he's done decently against RHP his entire career.

The guy is Maikel Franco. I have been more leaning to a LH bat but I'm a lot less excited about Shaw or Lamb than I was Brad Miller. You gotta go with Franco don't you?

I wouldn't mind him, just doesnt get on base enough for me.

But apparently our theme this offseason is to find guys in their prime and former top prospect.

So why not? Maybe Franco found something and the 2020 version is the player he is now.

Wow, Franco K's a lot less than I thought, although wish he would get on base better, maybe last year was the start of something... And I've read his D has improved last 2 years... Screw it, sign him and call it good.

I can live with

Wong

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Franco

Narvaez

Garcia

Urias/Arcia

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wow, Franco K's a lot less than I thought, although wish he would get on base better, maybe last year was the start of something... And I've read his D has improved last 2 years... Screw it, sign him and call it good.

I can live with

Wong

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Franco

Narvaez

Garcia

Urias/Arcia

I think that Franco is a limited player - but perhaps the guy who offers the most at this point at 3B. I mean - it's not like there's a bunch of good 3B sitting around looking for work. It's the mediocre and the dregs.

Franco has been inconsistent throughout his career, but at 28, you have to hope he can put things together. His defense has improved to the point where it's adequate. He doesn't strike out a ton. He's got some pop. He's had some decent batting averages (as well as some bad BAs).

If the club feels there's a .275 hitter with 20 HR and okay defense in the guy - that's pretty good. No, he won't win a gold glove. Or take a lot of walks. Or be a plus baserunner. But the package could net you a solid full-time player who would be a respectable power bat in a lineup that's lacking in pop.

Of course, this all means you're hoping he improves - or at least can replicate his 2020 season.

In my opinion, I'd just roll with what we have. Let Urias and Robertson have the gig. They are cheap. And I think both would be good 3B. I'd love to just double down on the good defense - and hope that both these guys can hit enough to justify their playing time. Add in a ground ball pitcher like Brett Anderson for a few million - I think that would be fine.

This team has so many unknowns - I'd rather take a few risks with younger players, and see how they play out. We can then make moves in-season if necessary. I like that over spending on 'proven' players who just aren't that good.

Tbh I have been against Franco a majority of the offseason but now I'm coming around on him. How does his defense compare to guys like Shaw, Frazier, or Gyorko?

He's improved the last 2 years... dWAR is practically the same for all 4 now, unless that isnt what you use to determine D, idk.

Archived