Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would it take to get Chapman from the A’s and are they even looking to deal him? Their minor league system is pretty weak right now so maybe they’d look to restock that a bit.

On top of the points mentioned by wibangers23, the A's just dealt their in-house 3B replacement to the LA Dodgers on Friday 2/12.

I think its highly doubtful the A's would entertain a deal of Chapman unless it was a HUGE overpay...

I guess we offered Turner $34 mil for 2 years.

He was never coming here...

That is a big boy offer, though. They certainly weren't lowballing him.

Far from the "dumpster diving" narrative that was being thrown around earlier in the offseason. Not getting him is a bummer, but if there is any silver lining, its that they were willing to throw out a competitive offer. I have a feeling that the Dodgers offer was lower, and they finally caved and matched what the Brewers were offering.

Todd Frazier is also a reliable standby at 3B not getting a lot of attention. He is probably the safest option remaining, even at 35.

As for pitching, Shoemaker on a one-year deal could be interesting. Or Cole Hamels if his health checks out?

Wow, now that is interesting! Can't think of many marquee free agents who already happen to live in WI.

This was probably a little overblown, but it did seem like maybe his struggles with the Yankees were made worse by the New York media spotlight. Pitching for Brewers against weak NL Central lineups makes a lot of sense for a one-year value rehabilitation campaign.

So much for that...

Can't believe the Brewers wouldn't match that offer.

Agreed. Terrible optics, especially with all the lefty power in the central with Votto, Moose, Winker, Arenado, Rizzo and Pederson. Having at least one proven lefty in that rotation would have been ideal.

Um what?

Time to sit and soft rebuild. Nobody is game changing after Turner. It's Melvin-lite out there. What you acquire may get you to 81wins. Hope and eish on some positive seasons by Lindblom, Garcia, Marvaez, Pina and of course Hader. Flip them all and see where you stand after 2021. Dodgers just put an All-Star team out there for every position. Other NL Central teams not named St. Louis have pivoted for this. Play for 80wins and you'll be falling behind those teams' rebuild.

I agree in that a one year rebuild should be in order, but I doubt it now that they signed Wong. Doesn’t mean you don’t try to make the postseason, but I would look to trade Hader for a young bat with 4+ years of control plus more. See what you have in Urias and the other young arms in the minors. You clear Hader, Garcia, Arcia, plus others from the payroll after the season and have a mostly clean slate outside of one year of Cain and Yelich.

Sign Anthony Rizzo for first base, acquire a third baseman in a trade of Hader hopefully, and now you’re looking at an infield of Rizzo and Wong on the right side with Hiura as the full time DH. Urias plus the new guy on the left side. Pair that with Yelich and Cain and we would have a great lineup to go with a Woodruff and Burnes at the top of the rotation for another 3 years plus whoever takes a step forward out of our collection of arms knocking on the door in AAA. It’ll also give Zach Green a chance to get his feet wet and see if we have something with him being a long term solution.

I agree in that a one year rebuild should be in order, but I doubt it now that they signed Wong. Doesn’t mean you don’t try to make the postseason, but I would look to trade Hader for a young bat with 4+ years of control plus more. See what you have in Urias and the other young arms in the minors. You clear Hader, Garcia, Arcia, plus others from the payroll after the season and have a mostly clean slate outside of one year of Cain and Yelich.

Sign Anthony Rizzo for first base, acquire a third baseman in a trade of Hader hopefully, and now you’re looking at an infield of Rizzo and Wong on the right side with Hiura as the full time DH. Urias plus the new guy on the left side. Pair that with Yelich and Cain and we would have a great lineup to go with a Woodruff and Burnes at the top of the rotation for another 3 years plus whoever takes a step forward out of our collection of arms knocking on the door in AAA. It’ll also give Zach Green a chance to get his feet wet and see if we have something with him being a long term solution.

You do know as of now, there is NO DH in the NL. How do they just "sign Rizzo" and why would they want his $16.5M salary for a one year rental?

If they signed Walker or Odorizzi, they could move Hauser to the pen and trade Hader, say to the Mets for JD Davis. Or...?

Cain

Wong

Yelich

Davis

Hiura

Narvaez

Garcia

Urias/Arcia

Woodruff

Burnes

Walker/Odorizzi

Lindblom

Lauer

D. Williams

Peralta

Houser

Rasmussen

Topa

Suter

Yardley

Perdomo/Wahl/Feyereisen/Black

You do know as of now, there is NO DH in the NL. How do they just "sign Rizzo" and why would they want his $16.5M salary for a one year rental?

That was meant to be an idea in the offseason prior to the 2022 season to bring in Rizzo.

All remaining free agents with a 2021 projected WAR of 0.5 or higher, from Fangraphs' tracker-

1. RHP-Jake Odorizzi = 1.7

2. RHP-Rick Porcello = 1.7

3. RHP-Matt Shoemaker = 1.5

4. RHP-Taijuan Walker = 1.2

5. LHP-Brett Anderson = 1.2

6. OF-Jackie Bradley Jr. = 1.1

7. OF-Brett Gardner = 1.0

8. RHP-Mike Leake = 1.0

9. IF-Maikel Franco = 0.9

10. IF-Travis Shaw = 0.7

11. LHP-Cole Hamels = 0.7

12. OF-Yaisel Puig = 0.7

13. RHP-Homer Bailey = 0.7

14. C-Tyler Flowers = 0.7

15. OF-Kevin Pillar = 0.7

16. IF-Jake Lamb = 0.6

17. IF-Todd Frazier = 0.6

18. LHP-Gio Gonzalez = 0.6

19. RHP-Trevor Cahill = 0.5

20. IF-C.J. Cron = 0.5

21. RHP-Aaron Sanchez = 0.5

22. RHP-David Robertson = 0.5

At this point, I hope for Choo for first with Hiura. For third base, the only two options I would find intriguing at this point are Maikel Franco and Asdrubal Cabrera. Heck even if we pulled off signing both Franco and Cabrera I would be pleased. Cabrera and Hiura at first with Franco and Cabrera at third. Urias becomes the rover.

Franco would at least provide a quality righty power bat that can hit 25 homeruns in a full season. At this point, we need another power bat. Certainly not everybody needs to hit dingers as I’m all for high AVG/OBP guys, but we basically have two guys on the roster that we can confidently say will hit 20 homeruns in Yelich and Hiura. That’s just simply not enough. Franco also just turned 28 late in the season. He’s in his prime and could still possibly have a little untapped potential. Give him a guaranteed two year deal under $10 million to lock down third for 2021, bring in Cabrera on a 1 year deal around $4 million, and sign Mike Fiers to round out the rotation for around $5 million.

Franco has some power, but despite that he is overall a below average hitter with poor defense. He may hit homeruns, but the lack of anything else to his game makes him a poor offensive contributor. Even Daniel Robertson has been a more productive hitter so far. And he's both cheaper, younger, more versatile, under team control for longer, and hits from the same side of the plate as Franco. Franco would be a very poor signing, particularly for a multi-year deal. I'm not particularly keen on Lamb either, but would much rather roll the dice on him being over his injury troubles and provide a lefty bat to complement the righties we have there.

Cabrera and Fiers already signed, for $1.75m and $3.5m respectively.

Both Lindbloom and Houser have higher projected WAR’s than all of those players/FAs. Lauer has a pretty small projected WAR but I’m optimistically optimistic about him.

Bring in Odorizzi as our #3 or #4. Lindbloom actually has a higher projected WAR than Houser but I’d actually move Lindbloom to our #5 SP.

Yep. I'm totally onboard to add another Starting pitcher, with our infield defense I'd really like Brett Anderson back as a heavy ground ball pitcher. But sign one to fill out our rotation and then you have guys like Layer, Peralta, Zimmerman, File, Bettinger, or maybe even Small ready to go for depth purposes when injuries hit

Maybe you can get Odorizzi on a one or two year deal at this point? I know he’s projected to get three but maybe at this point in the offseason he’s only looking at two at the most. A top of the rotation of Woodruff, Burnes and Odorizzi would look pretty nice. I also wouldn’t mind Taijuan Walker on a two year deal. All that being said, this current regime typically hasn’t thrown big money at pitchers so we’ll see.

Archived