Brewer Fanatic

2021 Free Agents

Eye Black

Interesting them signing him with Dom Smith on the roster. It really does suggest that a deal for Smith might be possible, and the Brewers should be all over that.

I really think its the NYMets gathering parts to fill future holes as they trade a package to either Colorado (for Arenado) or ChiCubs (for Kris Bryant)..

Cubs trading Bryant for like JD Davis, Thomas Szapucki & a couple teenagers would be pretty satisfying.

I think that's too much. Given this depressed market, Bryant's injury history, his terrible season last year, and his enormous salary, he has close to negative value. They'll be lucky to get a lottery ticket or two without having to pay a significant portion of his salary.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a Bryant for Davis/Szapucki and more would be a big get for the Cubs. I just don't see Bryant having that much value on the trade market. Projecting 2020 out to a full season, and surprisingly Bryant has only been a 2.4 bWAR/fWAR player per season over the last three years. Very good year in 2019, but not that great in 2018 and wasn't that great in a shortened 2020. The number I've pulled out of my rear end for him in 2021 is a 2.9 WAR, and considering only one year of control plus a huge arbitration number, I only have his surplus value at +7.5 million. I'm not even a J.D. Davis fan but would still put his surplus value at roughly twice that of Bryant. Add in three more players going to Chicago, and I think this would be a great deal for the Cubs.

Martinez is getting old and hasn't really hit in a couple of seasons.

Interesting them signing him with Dom Smith on the roster. It really does suggest that a deal for Smith might be possible, and the Brewers should be all over that.

I think they're just filling their bench and high minors depth. I just looked at their depth chart on MLB.com, and they really don't have much.

• 5 weeks later...
I think at this point we’re probably rolling with what we got. The Turner news is disappointing but most of us seen it coming all along. Tough to compete with teams that are nearly $40 million over the luxury tax. I’d like to see the Brewers target another rotation flyer and bullpen piece but we shall see.

Mentioned this in the Turner thread but do we pivot toward one of the better starting pitching free agents and just build a stellar pitching staff? Odorizzi, Paxton or Walker? Wouldn’t really feel like a Stearns move but we’ll see. I think we’ll just roll with Urias/Robertson at 3B at this point.

Mentioned this in the Turner thread but do we pivot toward one of the better starting pitching free agents and just build a stellar pitching staff? Odorizzi, Paxton or Walker? Wouldn’t really feel like a Stearns move but we’ll see. I think we’ll just roll with Urias/Robertson at 3B at this point.

In the past when this exact situation of being outbid has happened, we typically didn’t make a big splash. Stearns doesn’t react based on things like that, he’s measured. My guess is we sign a minimum type guy and roll with this group of guys.

Hard pass on Odorizzi for me. Disaster waiting to happen. Paxton has the most upside and can probably be had on just a one-year deal, seems like an obvious target.

Honestly, a trade out of nowhere for a 3B wouldn't surprise me now.

Mets did talk to A’s on Chapman.

An infield with both Chapman and Wong playing defense would be a beautiful thing. (Arcia/Urias no slouches either.)

Hard pass on Odorizzi for me. Disaster waiting to happen. Paxton has the most upside and can probably be had on just a one-year deal, seems like an obvious target.

Paxton makes the most sense to me as well. He could solidify the middle of the rotation, and still has some upside to be a true #2/#3 caliber pitcher. The guy lives in Eau Claire so it's not a stretch that he'd play for the team in the same state. Make it happen and lets get Spring Training underway.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I’m sure there is a plan B to bring in a veteran free agent third basemen as Robertson and Urias don’t even have 120 games of experience at Third combined. Unfortunately the veteran free agent options aren’t great and most have already been on the Brewers before: Gyorko, Shaw, Brad Miller and Todd Frazier

Paxton makes the most sense to me as well. He could solidify the middle of the rotation, and still has some upside to be a true #2/#3 caliber pitcher. The guy lives in Eau Claire so it's not a stretch that he'd play for the team in the same state. Make it happen and lets get Spring Training underway.

Wow, now that is interesting! Can't think of many marquee free agents who already happen to live in WI.

This was probably a little overblown, but it did seem like maybe his struggles with the Yankees were made worse by the New York media spotlight. Pitching for Brewers against weak NL Central lineups makes a lot of sense for a one-year value rehabilitation campaign.

My gut tells me we re-sign Gyroko by Monday evening... They must have been in communication with him during the Turner sga just in case it didnt work out.

Now the question is:

Does Gyrko want to come back to Milwaukee? Does he feel we wronged him but not picking up his option? Does he feel dis-respected by the Brewers for not signing him before now?

I think we get him back, and I think the price isn't going to be as low as some are expecting. 2 years 6 - 7 million?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Then again, since he is still out there, maybe no one else wants him anyway. That would be surprising though since he was pretty damn good for us last season.

Another year of not having a real 3B and a patchwork 1B isn't appealing to me. Hopefully Hiura can handle 1B.

Then again, since he is still out there, maybe no one else wants him anyway. That would be surprising though since he was pretty damn good for us last season.

Another year of not having a real 3B and a patchwork 1B isn't appealing to me. Hopefully Hiura can handle 1B.

Agreed. Gyorko isn't a world beater, and even though he was very good last year, he'd still be a risk to throw out there every day. But at least he's an actual big league 3B with some results. That beats going with a unknown or a shot-in-the-dark. Robertson and urias have a prospect pedigree, but haven't proven anything yet. Plus they are both right-handed hitters, so you can't really platoon them.

Not much left for lefty-hitting 3Bs. Jake Lamb and Travis Shaw are about it.

Agreed. Gyorko isn't a world beater, and even though he was very good last year, he'd still be a risk to throw out there every day. But at least he's an actual big league 3B with some results. That beats going with a unknown or a shot-in-the-dark. Robertson and urias have a prospect pedigree, but haven't proven anything yet. Plus they are both right-handed hitters, so you can't really platoon them.

Not much left for lefty-hitting 3Bs. Jake Lamb and Travis Shaw are about it.

Yup, that just isn't very exciting.

*yawn*

I’d just rather play Urias/Robertson then pay anyone else left out there. It’s not over yet but kind of a disappointing offseason. Stearns has time to fill out the roster still.

I think they still unearth a left-hitting 3B somewhere to share time with one or both of those guys. Really doubt they hand the full time 3B job to one of them, and it makes no sense to platoon two righty hitters. Zack Green is a righty hitter too.

Wow, now that is interesting! Can't think of many marquee free agents who already happen to live in WI.

This was probably a little overblown, but it did seem like maybe his struggles with the Yankees were made worse by the New York media spotlight. Pitching for Brewers against weak NL Central lineups makes a lot of sense for a one-year value rehabilitation campaign.

So much for that...

Can't believe the Brewers wouldn't match that offer.

So much for that...

Can't believe the Brewers wouldn't match that offer.

Agreed. Terrible optics, especially with all the lefty power in the central with Votto, Moose, Winker, Arenado, Rizzo and Pederson. Having at least one proven lefty in that rotation would have been ideal.

At this point, I hope for Choo for first with Hiura. For third base, the only two options I would find intriguing at this point are Maikel Franco and Asdrubal Cabrera. Heck even if we pulled off signing both Franco and Cabrera I would be pleased. Cabrera and Hiura at first with Franco and Cabrera at third. Urias becomes the rover.

Franco would at least provide a quality righty power bat that can hit 25 homeruns in a full season. At this point, we need another power bat. Certainly not everybody needs to hit dingers as I’m all for high AVG/OBP guys, but we basically have two guys on the roster that we can confidently say will hit 20 homeruns in Yelich and Hiura. That’s just simply not enough. Franco also just turned 28 late in the season. He’s in his prime and could still possibly have a little untapped potential. Give him a guaranteed two year deal under $10 million to lock down third for 2021, bring in Cabrera on a 1 year deal around $4 million, and sign Mike Fiers to round out the rotation for around $5 million.

At this point, I hope for Choo for first with Hiura. For third base, the only two options I would find intriguing at this point are Maikel Franco and Asdrubal Cabrera. Heck even if we pulled off signing both Franco and Cabrera I would be pleased. Cabrera and Hiura at first with Franck and Cabrera at third. Urias becomes the rover.

Franco would at least provide a quality righty power bat that can hit 25 homeruns in a full season. At this point, we need another power bat. Certainly not everybody needs to hit dingers as I’m all for high AVG/OBP guys, but we basically have two guys on the roster that we can confidently say will hit 20 homeruns in Yelich and Hiura. That’s just simply not enough. Franco also just turned 28 late in the season. He’s in his prime and could still possibly have a little untapped potential. Give him a guaranteed two year deal under $10 million to lock down third for 2021, bring in Cabrera on a 1 year deal around $4 million, and sign Mike Fiers to round out the rotation for around $5 million.

I believe Cabrera signed already. Just not interested at all in Franco. Again this is where I pivot to a trade if anything. Escobar, Seager, Jeimer... not sure.

Archived