Brewer Fanatic

Can Yelich play 1B?

TURBO

Since he is probably an average OFer, and is a huge target, is it at all possible that he could play some 1B in the near future?

I have no idea if he has ever played a single inning in the infield since probably high school ball, but that could solve our lack of prospects at 1B at some time in the future.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

He seems awkward when catching the baseball so it’d be interesting to see it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Here's a novel idea. How about drafting a 1B? In the Stearns era, the highest round the Brewers drafted a 1B, was in 2016 with 23rd rounder Ronnie Gideon.

We never seem to pick corner infielders and with the exception of Hiura don't pick bat first guys. Our drafts are all about middle of the diamond athletes and nearly all of them come with questionable hit and power tools.

Here's a novel idea. How about drafting a 1B? In the Stearns era, the highest round the Brewers drafted a 1B, was in 2016 with 23rd rounder Ronnie Gideon.

We never seem to pick corner infielders and with the exception of Hiura don't pick bat first guys. Our drafts are all about middle of the diamond athletes and nearly all of them come with questionable hit and power tools.

I was going to say, most hitters tend to start out listed as SS, CF, or C and move from there...this is especially true for HS players.

I'll also add that Grisham was a bat first player and Turang I wouldn't call an elite athlete...his best tool is definitely his hit tool. It was moreso the Melvin era where we'd grab guys like Monte Harrison or Jacob Gatewood or Victor Roache or Tyrone Taylor that had very questionable hit tools but big power or other tools and were often very raw and we hoped to develop the hit tool.

No thanks on drafting based on position it generally doesn't work all that well.

No thanks on drafting based on position it generally doesn't work all that well.

Well, to be fair, neither does our strategy...

The current strategy has brought us Hiura, Woodruff and Burnes. The Rays, Blue Jays and the Dodgers have been doing this for years and it seems to have been working out well for them. Drafting based on the position that they play is just a bad idea it is a bad idea in the NFL and it is a bad idea in MLB. Always draft based on the players talents and not based on what your team needs especially in the early rounds. If you want to go position shopping do it in the later rounds.

The current strategy has brought us Hiura, Woodruff and Burnes. The Rays, Blue Jays and the Dodgers have been doing this for years and it seems to have been working out well for them. Drafting based on the position that they play is just a bad idea it is a bad idea in the NFL and it is a bad idea in MLB. Always draft based on the players talents and not based on what your team needs especially in the early rounds. If you want to go position shopping do it in the later rounds.

To be clear, I am not advocating drafting based on position...

I know it can't be true do to speed, but man eye test Braun of the last few years seems to be better in LF than the Yelich of this year. I had nothing negative to say on Yelich's D before this year though, other than the obvious weak arm. Who knows, maybe that knee is gonna take some more time.

I think the premise is sound. Heck Gorman Thomas was a ss when he was drafted. But it’s one thing to have a sound premise but entirely different when they’ve gone totally, foaming in the mouth, overboard with it. The way they think they might have passed over Prince Fielder.

Third base is certainly a position that’s hard to fill and takes a special athlete there. Sometimes you get a SS who outgrows it but we need to diversify a bit with our focus IMO.

1B requires special bats. I’m sick of the Reynolds, Carter, Aguilar, Smoak ideas. It’s been too many years of this to not have learned a lesson by now.

Archived