Brewer Fanatic

2020-09-22: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Gray) [Brewers win, 3-2 -- Anderson strong over 6.0 IP with 7 K, 1 ER; Devin Williams does more Devin Willams things; Hader shuts the door in the 9th]

Eye Black

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since a good start against the Brewers on August 27, Sonny Gray made two starts (versus the Cardinals and Cubs) and then went on the IL with a reported back injury.

In those two starts Gray had combined results of: 4.0 IP (122 total pitches), 11 H, 11 ER, 6 BB, 5 K

The big question heading into tonight is whether Gray will bounce back or continues to struggle.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If we lose today, Houser should definetely be skipped tomorrow. Pitch your best. He ain't it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If we lose today, Houser should definetely be skipped tomorrow. Pitch your best. He ain't it.

I actually agree with you in theory (I know, shocker), but I don't think it's gonna happen. For some reason, this doesn't seem to be the same Craig Counsell who made so many "outside the box" pitching adjustments in 2018.

I actually agree with you in theory (I know, shocker), but I don't think it's gonna happen. For some reason, this doesn't seem to be the same Craig Counsell who made so many "outside the box" pitching adjustments in 2018.

Counsell going the way of the traditional manager such as only using Hader as the 9th inning closer has been one of the most disappointing things of the 2020 season.

Not sure if you’re both advocating for Burnes to start on short rest, or a bullpen game? I think having the double header looming may decrease the chance they’ll want to overuse the bullpen on Wednesday and Thursday. Burnes going 7 innings on Thursday would set them up the best going into the Friday double header. That being said, if they lose tonight then tomorrow becomes pretty close to a win at all costs scenario (which I think was the original point).

Not sure what better options they have......Suter will have to start in the DH on Friday after pitching Sunday......Peralta could go I suppose for a few innings but then you have 2 bullpen days in 3 days.....with a DH also thrown in there to boot.

They aren’t going to throw Lauer in there .........one way or another Houser is going to have to throw some innings.......just not enough depth to not pitch him.

I agree 100%. Tomorrow's game becomes the season with a loss tonight. You have to handle these games one at a time, and figure out tomorrow's game when it happens. Bauer is also throwing on three days' rest tomorrow.

The problem is that a Keston who is not a Keston is still much better than a Sogard.

Yeah, and Keston even in a very small sample at least has a few hits off of Gray.

They (Counsell) must’ve really soured on Urias, because they didn’t use him versus a LHP last night when they needed a base hit (ran Taylor up there instead in Narvaez’s spot), and have Sogard at the third and Peterson at second tonight with a ground ball pitcher despite the fact Urias is probably the better overall defender at either position.

Hiura has 77 strike outs in 55 games, and his OBP is barely above .300. Besides the homers he has only four other extra base hits (all doubles). What a tale of two seasons from the guy who sprayed the ball all over the park last year, to the guy who can't hit the high fastball yet can't lay off it.

They should have given him a break earlier before the season was on the line.

The problem is that a Keston who is not a Keston is still much better than a Sogard.

The real problem is that it is much closer than it should be, though.

I guess that depends on the measurement. Keston still has an OPS over 200 points higher than Sogard this year, sadly.

Hiura has 77 strike outs in 55 games, and his OBP is barely above .300. Besides the homers he has only four other extra base hits (all doubles). What a tale of two seasons from the guy who sprayed the ball all over the park last year, to the guy who can't hit the high fastball yet can't lay off it.

Well, they didn't and still don't have any adequate replacements to give him a break with. There's no Jerry Hairston or Felipe Lopez to bring off the bench this year.

Season in the balance and our best lineup includes Peterson leading off. Woof! (and yes, I know his stats are decent)
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I never would have thought that Narvaez would have such a bad bat that he couldn't start over Nottingham.

I'll go with whoever the hitting coach for the White Sox or Mariners has been the last few years to replace Andy Haines because whoever can get Narvaez to hit with that ugly swing has to be some sort of tactical genius.

Well, they didn't and still don't have any adequate replacements to give him a break with. There's no Jerry Hairston or Felipe Lopez to bring off the bench this year.

Likely the team's best replacement (Mathias) is sitting in a hotel in Appleton in quarantine*

*probably

Likely the team's best replacement (Mathias) is sitting in a hotel in Appleton in quarantine*

*probably

It's just a really bad bench. I understand why they threw a lot of darts to try fill the bench and lineup this year but unfortunately they missed the board with almost all of them.

I realize Pomeranz was very good for us late last year, but it's too bad Dubon never got more opportunity here. He'd be a great fit, especially being young and cost-controlled.

It's an ugly lineup, plain and simple. Even with Hiura struggling, he should still be in there. Any lineup that includes Peterson and Sogard at all is not a team I wanna watch. Toss in Taylor and this should be a W for Cincy. BUT, because of this trash lineup I'll be tuning in and expecting a 10-0 Brewer win!

It's just a really bad bench. I understand why they threw a lot of darts to try fill the bench and lineup this year but unfortunately they missed the board with almost all of them.

I realize Pomeranz was very good for us late last year, but it's too bad Dubon never got more opportunity here. He'd be a great fit, especially being young and cost-controlled.

Dubon's .713 OPS this year isn't exactly screaming "missed opportunity". In comparison, Jace Peterson's OPS currently sits at .787. Granted stats far from tell the whole story, especially this year, but Dubon, at least to me, looks like another "dime a dozen" utility guy.

Archived