Brewer Fanatic

Brewers control their own faith

brewmann04

I realize Hiura has a negative WAR right now. He’s also a 2B on pace for a 40 HR season extrapolated over 162 games. There is value in that, but hitting .215/.308/.436 and leading the league in strikeouts is a big surprise. (For me anyways, I’ve always looked at him as a potential superstar)

Is he selling out too much for the longball?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I realize Hiura has a negative WAR right now. He’s also a 2B on pace for a 40 HR season extrapolated over 162 games. There is value in that, but hitting .215/.308/.436 and leading the league in strikeouts is a big surprise. (For me anyways, I’ve always looked at him as a potential superstar)

Is he selling out too much for the longball?

Negative bWAR, 0.6 fWAR. When it comes to position players other than catchers, always trust fWAR over bWAR. That said, WAR is kind of designed to be a full season or multiple season statistic.

I have felt that Huira has turned into Willie Mays Hays in Major League II. He is trying to hit homers instead of just hitting the ball like last year. At least, that's the way it looks to my eyes.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Hiura struck out over 30% of the time last year. I don't know why anyone is surprised he's striking out a ton this year.

I think many saw him as the second coming of Braun with his bat. I think they’ll be sorely disappointed.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Hiura struck out over 30% of the time last year. I don't know why anyone is surprised he's striking out a ton this year.

He was a 22 year old rookie last year who hit .300 and put up a .939 OPS....and he was an elite prospect with an advanced bat. I'd guess most people who read his scouting reports that raved about his hit tool didn't expect that he'd lead the league in strikeouts and were hoping that while he may regress as his BABIP leveled out, he'd still hit for contact like he always had...pretty logical assumptions given his background.

Hiura should not be leading the league in strikeouts. He shouldn't be striking out ~35 pct of the time with his bat speed and hit tool.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think many saw him as the second coming of Braun with his bat. I think they’ll be sorely disappointed.

He just turned 24 and he's posted a 269/.344/.519 line at 2nd base with an OPS+ of 124 in his first 137 games. I'd say he's doing just fine.

Not everyone who thought he'd be a really good young middle of the order hitter is a simple as you're inferring. I don't know who thought he'd be "the second coming" of the last star the Brewers developed from within, but it's pretty reasonable to have very high expectations of him.

He just turned 24 and he's posted a 269/.344/.519 line at 2nd base with an OPS+ of 124 in his first 137 games. I'd say he's doing just fine.

Not everyone who thought he'd be a really good young middle of the order hitter is a simple as you're inferring. I don't know who thought he'd be "the second coming" of the last star the Brewers developed from within, but it's pretty reasonable to have very high expectations of him.

The high BABIP wasn’t sustainable. His K rate sucks. He’s got a long ways to go considering how much he lacks in every other part of his game other than swinging really hard at every pitch.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He’s got a long ways to go considering how much he lacks in every other part of his game other than swinging really hard at every pitch.

Doesn't that describe 95% of MLB?

I can't believe we're even having this discussion. Yes, he's struggling right now. He also was a high draft pick, a highly ranked prospect, and demolished college and minor league pitching. Sure, he could be a total bust but he hasn't even played the equivalent of a full 162 game season in his career yet.

He’s got a long ways to go considering how much he lacks in every other part of his game other than swinging really hard at every pitch.

I can't believe we're even having this discussion. Yes, he's struggling right now. He also was a high draft pick, a highly ranked prospect, and demolished college and minor league pitching. Sure, he could be a total bust but he hasn't even played the equivalent of a full 162 game season in his career yet.

You can’t believe people would be concerned with him after how terrible he has been? Really? :rolleyes And considering he looks like a JV high school second basemen at times, if he’s not truly the thunderous bat he was in the minors, he becomes a liability to this team in a hurry.

Yeah, I don't really see it either. He's struggled in 2 months and has just turned 24. Seems like you'd only be concerned if you actually thought he'd be Ryan Braun and skate through and continue to post an OPS+ of ~140 without any hiccups.

It's Baseball...he's a young kid who's obviously pressing and swinging and missing too much. He should be fine.

I don’t think Hiura is trying to hit that many homers. He is pretty much Weeks with a higher launch angle...thus more homers. That kind of bat speed is going to equate to a lot of over the fence hits if the launch angle is there.

I think it just appear he is trying to swing out of his shoes all the time because he is way behind fastballs and trying to make up for it by trying to swinging harder.

I don’t think Hiura is trying to hit that many homers. He is pretty much Weeks with a higher launch angle...thus more homers. That kind of bat speed is going to equate to a lot of over the fence hits if the launch angle is there.

I think it just appear he is trying to swing out of his shoes all the time because he is way behind fastballs and trying to make up for it by trying to swinging harder.

I wasn't saying he was swinging too hard, just that he was pressing and swinging and missing too much.

You start pressing, you're guessing on pitches, overthinking...it's baseball. It's how Christian Yelich can be on his way to his 2nd MVP and a year later he's finishing a "season" with an average over 100 points lower and his OPS is almost 300 points lower.

I thought this kid was capable of hitting early in his career...and he's proven he can. But now he's struggling. I think he'll settle in and be fine.

Brewers offense needs to show up this week. Way too many strikeouts again last night, and unproductive outs with men on base. The pitching will be there, consistent offensive production has been a question pretty much all year.

Another 3 Ks for Hiura last night. I know he occasionally runs into one, and it typically goes a long way, but for the most part, his at-bats have been disgusting this season. It's gotten to the point where I get up and leave the room during his at-bats, because it's so disappointing watching a player who has so much skill and talent, but evidently has no clue how to use it. I believe that Hiura has tremendous upside, but he's gotta get on top of his swing-and-miss tendencies, or I fear he's not going to have a long career. Thankfully he is very young, and there's still a lot of time for him to figure it out.

From day one, teams have hammered him at the top of the zone with heaters. If he could even foul them off, eventually they'd have to bring them lower into the zone. But those at the top of the zone are either called or swinging, and those above the zone are often chased.

You can’t believe people would be concerned with him after how terrible he has been? Really? :rolleyes And considering he looks like a JV high school second basemen at times, if he’s not truly the thunderous bat he was in the minors, he becomes a liability to this team in a hurry.

Not that people are concerned but that so many here have pretty much written him off as a failure already. Or be replaced by one of our cadre 4A nothingburger infielders. He's had one year where he OPS'd over .900 and another in the mid .700's. Once again, not even adding up to a full 162 game season. I don't know how you can make any sort of judgement off of that.

I can see the comparisons to Weeks. The thing about Rickie was that he would watch two fastballs over the plate and be down 0-2 and then wave at a slider way off the plate. Hiura seems more aggressive. He just isn't making contact. I guess I would personally prefer Keston's "problem" over Weeks.

He has 570 PAs now. Between 2019-current day of guys with at least 550 PAs he has the 4th highest K rate and 2nd lowest contact rate. That is, uh not good and troubling. Both the Ks and contact rates have only moved in the wrong direction during this year too.

The Brewers need to build off tonight.

Were so close on Monday too which would have them in a good spot. If Woody doesn't give up that HR on the 1-2 pitch they're out of that inning and into Williams/Hader. Granted they might have tried someone else for one inning in between and it would've affected our pen for Tuesday, but they'd have been in a good spot. Get the W today and you're sitting pretty well.

Hiura's BABIP last season was .402.........this season its .271.

It's the BIP part of BABIP that has become the huge problem for Hiura. Plus he had another extreme costly error on a very simple ground ball tonight. 2B has become a major concern for Stearns and CC.

Archived