Brewer Fanatic

2021 DH (Pending)

pacopete4
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has there been any actual indication that Braun would be willing to come back on a 'cheap deal'?

Not that I'm aware of... Maybe just wishful thinking.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If we can get Braun back on a cheap deal to DH with Vogelbomb, then why not spend some real cash on a real 3B?

Who though? Other than Justin Turner (who is 36), the free agent 3B market is pretty bad. Many believe that LeMahieu wouldn't be an effective everyday 3B. You are looking at guys like Gyorko, Todd Frazier, Maikel Franco, Tommy LaStella or Marwin Gonzalez.

Trade perhaps?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If we can get Braun back on a cheap deal to DH with Vogelbomb, then why not spend some real cash on a real 3B?

Who though? Other than Justin Turner (who is 36), the free agent 3B market is pretty bad. Many believe that LeMahieu wouldn't be an effective everyday 3B. You are looking at guys like Gyorko, Todd Frazier, Maikel Franco, Tommy LaStella or Marwin Gonzalez.

Trade perhaps?

I think that's likely the route they would need to go. If Hader is moved, I sure as heck hope an MLB-ready 3B is coming back.

Has there been any actual indication that Braun would be willing to come back on a 'cheap deal'?

I doubt there is any real market for Braun's services. If he wants to play, whatever deal he signs will be "cheap".

What do you define as cheap? $2 million? $5 million? Huge potential variance there, especially for a team like the Brewers this off season....

I doubt there is any real market for Braun's services. If he wants to play, whatever deal he signs will be "cheap".

What do you define as cheap? $2 million? $5 million? Huge potential variance there, especially for a team like the Brewers this off season....

I'm not so sure he wouldn't get a decent amount of attention. The market for DH salaries is kinda wild, probably much more than what people think, if both leagues go that route, I think he'd have plenty of options and some for decent money.

I think the bigger issue is that he would only be willing to go through the rigamarole for a handful of places. San Diego, LA, Anaheim, Milwaukee.

I think the bigger issue is that he would only be willing to go through the rigamarole for a handful of places. San Diego, LA, Anaheim, Milwaukee.

Is that still a certainty, or is that based on what he said a few years ago when there was speculation that he would be traded? There's a big difference between being under contract and using a no-trade clause to select where you'd be most comfortable, and being a free agent who probably feels he could still play another season, who could be offered a big contract by someone who is not located in southern California or Miami.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yes, cheap is totally relative to the team signing him but I mean it more as cheap relative to what the name Ryan Braun would generally be paid. He just came off a stretch of being paid about $20M a season. Would he take a pay cut to say $5M? Between his ego and the fact he didn't really seem comfortable playing a COVID season last year I'm sure he has a high number in mind that he would be willing to play for. And he has every right to do that nor do I fault him for it. Personally, I think he's done. Maybe he takes half the season off and waits to see if there's a fit for him for a playoff run. Either way I don't think he'll be in spring training with any team.

It's based on him not really having the kind of "this is all I want to do with my life" attitude that other athletes have. I really don't think Braun wants to relocate for half the year again to Toronto or Kansas City and acclimate to a new clubhouse for what is most likely one season. They just had their third kid and he's made comments in the past about not wanting to miss out on that aspect of things. I don't see him wanting to come back unless it's on terms that are ideal for his family.

I never got the impression that Braun loved baseball the way that some other guys do. At the end of last year he said he felt physically capable, but had to soul search as to whether he wanted to play.

It's based on him not really having the kind of "this is all I want to do with my life" attitude that other athletes have. I really don't think Braun wants to relocate for half the year again to Toronto or Kansas City and acclimate to a new clubhouse for what is most likely one season. They just had their third kid and he's made comments in the past about not wanting to miss out on that aspect of things. I don't see him wanting to come back unless it's on terms that are ideal for his family.

I never got the impression that Braun loved baseball the way that some other guys do. At the end of last year he said he felt physically capable, but had to soul search as to whether he wanted to play.

I agree. My impression is he isn't the type of player to keep trying to hang on for as long as possible. For that reason, I think it would take more money for him to come back, not less.

Either Braun wants to play or doesn’t. He has zero leverage when he has no interest playing any other team outside of the Brewers. Maybe he would play in Southern California, but I doubt any of those teams want him. He wouldn’t get paid much even if he was willing to go to any corner of the earth.

He signed two deals in his life and both were considered pretty team friendly at the time. Both times he said he didn’t know what he would do with all that money anyway.

I doubt Braun cares about the money. $3mil versus $7 is nothing to him. Money will not be the reason whether he plays another year or not.

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see why. I was always under the impression the union was for the DH because it moves bench players role to a starters level role. It also helped aging or defensively challenged players. Seems like a given it would replace a bench role with a higher salary job for each team. It also helps give other players a chance to have a few lighter days to boot. Can't think adding playoff spots would be the problem because of the added money.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It'll be interesting to see why. I was always under the impression the union was for the DH because it moves bench players role to a starters level role. It also helped aging or defensively challenged players. Seems like a given it would replace a bench role with a higher salary job for each team. It also helps give other players a chance to have a few lighter days to boot. Can't think adding playoff spots would be the problem because of the added money.

Supposedly MLB was offering it in exchange for expanded postseason. But MLBPA wants these items negotiated separately, as they are open to both but feel they are separate issues

Supposedly MLB was offering it in exchange for expanded postseason. But MLBPA wants these items negotiated separately, as they are open to both but feel they are separate issues

The Union feels that expanded playoffs will reduce salaries or at least slow the growth in the long term because teams don't have to try as hard to get a play-off spot NL Central

• 1 month later...
ugh, i do NOT want to watch pitchers bat ever again. they'll come to an agreement before the season. i still believe.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears there is some increasing hope that the universal DH could be added this evening.

From Scott Miller:

Yu Darvish, who hates hitting, on the possibility of MLB & players agreeing to universal DH tonight before Darvish has to bat in his Opening Day outing:

"I have all the trust that MLB will make that happen."

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I can already hear the crack of Braun’s bat.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If it ends up happening I think it’s indication the Brewers front office thought it remained a strong possibility all along since they announced Vogelbach made the team.

Or they liked Vogelbach's approach since he donned a Brewer uniform and they wanted to hold on tho him for next year

Archived