Brewer Fanatic

2021 DH (Pending)

pacopete4
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering how few balls are put in play these days, defense has become almost irrelevant.

I would argue the opposite. With how few balls are in play good defense is amplified.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that. How is good defense amplified when there are fewer chances? If 100 defensible balls are put into play, and the defense makes 90% of the plays, there are 10 that aren't made. If by striking out an additional 50 of those 100 with no defense involved, and the defense still makes 90% of the remaining defensible plays, then only 5 plays aren't made. So defense is minimized, not amplified.

Considering how few balls are put in play these days, defense has become almost irrelevant.

I would argue the opposite. With how few balls are in play good defense is amplified.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that. How is good defense amplified when there are fewer chances? If 100 defensible balls are put into play, and the defense makes 90% of the plays, there are 10 that aren't made. If by striking out an additional 50 of those 100 with no defense involved, and the defense still makes 90% of the remaining defensible plays, then only 5 plays aren't made. So defense is minimized, not amplified.

The decrease in balls in play isn't because of strikeouts solely. It's also the result of pitchers inducing flyouts/groundouts and an increase in home runs. Even if in the shift a player still has to be able to make the play.

Flyouts/groundouts, including those hit to fielders in the shift, are all balls in play... I suppose you could argue with more homeruns that it's more important to make outs when given the opportunity so there are fewer players on base to score, but I'm guessing the increase in strikeouts nullifies that take pretty easily.

Sorry, my response did switch to BABIP. I can't defend my amplified statement though I still believe good defense is important.

In 2019 per team per game the average number of ABs was 34.30, the average number of SOs was 8.81, the average number of HRs was 1.39, and the average number of SFs was 0.24. So the average number of BIPs was 24.34. All from https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml. For reference in 1999, the average number of BIPS was 27.17.

That means on average the quality of defense comes into play 24.34 times per game.

If a team was able to reduce the BIPs by half through strikeouts that would be an average of 20.98 strikeouts per game.

If there is a DH, Hiura should be the DH. If there is no DH, Hiura should be traded. His arm causes continual problems in the field. He makes errors by overcompensation and has trouble turning the double play.

Had a thread on this last year and was BLASTED. I like Hiura, but people were so in love with the bat they weren't seeing the rest of it.

You were?

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=39282&hilit=hiura&start=20

(Threads can be on different mediums most notably and recently Twitter)

• 2 weeks later...
wow. i really like this suggestion of eliminating the dh once the starting pitcher is pulled.

i think the only instance where i wouldn't like this idea would be having to scrap the dh if a starting pitcher left early due to an injury. a single injury shouldn't force two players from the game.

I like the idea on its own merits, but I doubt that there is any chance that the MLB Player's Association is going to accept a rule that cuts a player's at-bats in half.

wow. i really like this suggestion of eliminating the dh once the starting pitcher is pulled.

i think the only instance where i wouldn't like this idea would be having to scrap the dh if a starting pitcher left early due to an injury. a single injury shouldn't force two players from the game.

I like the idea on its own merits, but I doubt that there is any chance that the MLB Player's Association is going to accept a rule that cuts a player's at-bats in half.

But it also gives guys on the bench more AB's as once the starting pitcher is pulled, pinch hitters essentially will take 95% of the AB's in that spot in the lineup.

But it also gives guys on the bench more AB's as once the starting pitcher is pulled, pinch hitters essentially will take 95% of the AB's in that spot in the lineup.

True, but I doubt that it will significantly drive up the salaries of bench bat-types, while it would theoretically drastically reduce the earning power of DH-types. In the end, the decision is going to be determined by money.

Taking away one strategy to implement another.

Either have a DH in your league or don't. This isn't that hard.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

One of the better ideas for rule changes I've seen.

Taking away one strategy to implement another.

Either have a DH in your league or don't. This isn't that hard.

right! dont try to be 'overly creative', you either do it or dont. I dont think anyone on any team complained about the DH last year in the NL, did they? Just media types and personalities, and 'pure'ists?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Agreed. I'd think if there was any hesitation at all for it, the would simply buy more time by saying - we are going to keep it for 2021 due to COVID concerns - and then buy yourself another year to determine if it is permanent.

Seems like there is a lot of thumb twiddling over nothing here.

• 4 weeks later...
Twitter Video of Ken Rosenthal expressing his belief that the DH will be universal for 2021 and beyond.

That's huge and would make finding a full time 1B (say Cron) more critical which might explain the quantity over quality effort at 3B. Also could effect whether Braun chooses to return. Would be a strong DH platoon with him and Vogelbach.

Used to never like the idea of the dh until we had a few pitchers get hurt batting or running the base paths, so hopefully the dh is full time deal. I love the idea of Braun back in Milwaukee as a dh.

Filling the DH and 1B spots with proven bats allows them to go with cheap options and try different guys at 3B in the hopes of finding lightening in a bottle.

If we can get Braun back on a cheap deal to DH with Vogelbomb, then why not spend some real cash on a real 3B?

Who though? Other than Justin Turner (who is 36), the free agent 3B market is pretty bad. Many believe that LeMahieu wouldn't be an effective everyday 3B. You are looking at guys like Gyorko, Todd Frazier, Maikel Franco, Tommy LaStella or Marwin Gonzalez.

If we can get Braun back on a cheap deal to DH with Vogelbomb, then why not spend some real cash on a real 3B?

Who though? Other than Justin Turner (who is 36), the free agent 3B market is pretty bad. Many believe that LeMahieu wouldn't be an effective everyday 3B. You are looking at guys like Gyorko, Todd Frazier, Maikel Franco, Tommy LaStella or Marwin Gonzalez.

Last I checked Gyorko was the third best available, so, yeah, this is the reality.

I'd rather give the job to Urias, which, yeah, I know.

Archived