Brewer Fanatic

2020-09-16, Game 2: Cardinals (Oviedo) at Brewers (Suter) [Brewers win, 6-0 -- Braun hits HR #350 for his career]

Eye Black
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2021 Ryan Braun decision will be an interesting one. If we had the DH it would be a bit more obvious...but currently that is not the case for next year. After a rough financial year $11mil is a hefty price for 37 year old Braun.

Guessing that decision will ultimately come down to whether or not Attanasio wants to pony up an extra $11mil to keep Braun around. Which again...is probably a big expense to incur after this years financial disaster for the team.

One issue with Braun will be whether or not he wants to keep playing, and how much it would take to keep him from staying home with the family. $11 million is too much IMHO for someone who has to have so much time off and might only be able to be a DH. But, he’s still too good a hitter to not have value to somebody. He would seem like a good candidate for an incentive laden contract if he’s willing to consider that.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I don't think money will be an issue for Braun. He has made a ton in his career and I am sure that he wants to finish his career in a Brewers uniform. If he wants to play I think he will do it for a couple of million more than the buyout and thats what I expect to happen.

I fully expect Braun to sign with the Dodgers and try to get a ring while playing down the road from Malibu.

I think that would be Braun’s dream plan B (or even A). But why would the Dodgers go for that? Especially if there’s no DH in the NL? Just because they have the money to do a thing, doesn’t mean they should or will. Does he move the needle for a squad that stacked?

I don't think money will be an issue for Braun. He has made a ton in his career and I am sure that he wants to finish his career in a Brewers uniform. If he wants to play I think he will do it for a couple of million more than the buyout and thats what I expect to happen.

Even $7-$8mil is expensive. Stearns dumped Thames to save like a million dollars. September 4th Braun had a .600 OPS and at .705 a few days ago. Braun could put up a respectable year, but a 37 year old with an extensive injury history isn’t exactly a slam dunk. Additionally without a DH he is a 1B/OFer with the bulk of that time at 1B where he is questionable defensively.

I mean I’d bring him back, but he probably won’t be very cheap unless he just signs a contract for the buyout money ($4mil). Only way he does that though is if he has zero interest playing for anyone else.

I don't think there's any way that the Brewers actually exercise that $15m option. They'll take the $4m buyout. But with how he is playing, there certainly is a chance they try to get something done at a cheaper cost. I think a lot of it depends on what the roster rules will be like for next year, and whether the DH stays. Expanded rosters and DH, and Braun makes sense. No DH and no room to carry a bench bat? Not so much.

I fully expect Braun to sign with the Dodgers and try to get a ring while playing down the road from Malibu.

Dodgers don't want or need him and I think Braun wants to end his career where he started.

Given his close relationship with the Owner and the Owner's son, if Braun plays next year (which is the Big IF) it will almost certainly be with the Brewers. 11 million dollars is nothing in today's game for a good hitter especially a one year deal.

Even $7-$8mil is expensive. Stearns dumped Thames to save like a million dollars. September 4th Braun had a .600 OPS and at .705 a few days ago. Braun could put up a respectable year, but a 37 year old with an extensive injury history isn’t exactly a slam dunk. Additionally without a DH he is a 1B/OFer with the bulk of that time at 1B where he is questionable defensively.

I mean I’d bring him back, but he probably won’t be very cheap unless he just signs a contract for the buyout money ($4mil). Only way he does that though is if he has zero interest playing for anyone else.

I think he will sign for the buyout money plus an extra 1-2 million. So really all that would be costing the team is an extra 2 million at most. I could be wrong but I don't think Braun wants to play for any other team besides the Brewers.

Dodgers don't want or need him and I think Braun wants to end his career where he started.

Given his close relationship with the Owner and the Owner's son, if Braun plays next year (which is the Big IF) it will almost certainly be with the Brewers. 11 million dollars is nothing in today's game for a good hitter especially a one year deal.

Brewers are not going to pay Braun 15 million next season. With the buyout being 4 million I would be surprised if he makes more than 6 million total.

Why not bring Hader in even with the big lead?

He hasn’t pitched that many innings and, if they need him on Friday, he may be better off not having 3 full days off. If they don’t need him Friday he will just be that much rustier when they do need him.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

It's great to win the series but 4 wins would have done wonders there. Nice to see Braun still doing Braun things.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewers are probably going to have to go at least 7-4 the rest of the way to qualify for the playoffs. Fortunately 8 of their final 11 are against the two teams they need to get past for a playoff spot. A sweep, or at least taking 2 of 3 against the Royals, is pretty much a must, though.

Winning 3 in this series was pretty much the requirement to keep the Brewers from falling into a really tough position.

They could really use a sweep over the Royals (have they swept anybody this season?) to set up the final week against the Reds and Cardinals. I think they have to get to 30-30 to have a good chance to get a playoff spot. Less than that is going to require help from some teams that may not be motivated.

Brewers are probably going to have to go at least 7-4 the rest of the way to qualify for the playoffs. Fortunately 8 of their final 11 are against the two teams they need to get past for a playoff spot. A sweep, or at least taking 2 of 3 against the Royals, is pretty much a must, though.

I agree that 7-4 would be necessary to feel good about their chances (a .500 final record), but 6-5 may give them a chance (would be a 29-31 final record).

In addition to the Brewers taking care of business it’s time to start rooting against teams like the Phillies, Giants and to a lesser extent the Rockies.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived