Brewer Fanatic

The Omar Narvaez experience

owbc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
I sure hope they don't give up on a game because of 60 games. He has the track record to hit in this league.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I sure hope they don't give up on a game because of 60 games. He has the track record to hit in this league.

He had a track record of hitting on bad teams in the AL none of which were expected to contend. That being said some players simply did not adjust very well to the odd circumstances they had to deal with. They were essentially locked down away from the park. On the other hand, he never looked comfortable at the plate the entire time in a Brewer uniform.

Tough one. But considering they're the Brewers and their limitations, I'd lean towards giving him another try next year and hope a normal year he gets back to his normal self. I think Pina still has arby so you have solid compliment to him and someone who can play more games if needed.

I agree we should let them go too.

Dude, we get it, you are a Manny Pina fan, but c'mon...

I hope you have family and friend support if the Brewers don't resign the guy, I think you may need it...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Can't see a tandem of Narvaez / Nottingham with the output we got from that position. They either take the flyer on Narvaez returning to form and need a backup who can hit reasonably well or take the lower cost, good defense backup in Notthingham and need a primary catcher with a trustworthy bat. Pina fits in the former, and not quite as well in the latter.

I suppose it'll be all about the "fit". Schoop had even fewer games and opportunities being on a team with reasonable depth and legitimate pennant aspirations.

Does Nottingham have an option? I believe he can be optioned one more time. If so I would guess with 99% certainty we will see a Narvaez/Pina tandem.

There is simply too much potential with Narvaez and he is controllable in both 2021 and 2022. After such a terrible year he won’t cost much next year, no huge arby raise coming his way.

Considering Narvaez is left handed it makes too much sense to give him another go with Pina as the right handed counterpart. Nottingham showed some promise, but Pina has a track record of consistency and is a reliable veteran.

I don't know what to think about Narvaez. He had two very good offensive seasons in 2018-2019, and even before that he was decent enough for a catcher. And I would normally put a lot more weight on that larger sample than on 40 games in this pandemic weirdness. But at the same time he looked so very bad at the plate. That slow (Or at least slow-looking), long, uppercut swing looked like it could never get results. It was so hard to see the good hitter he used to be in there. I'm obviously lacking all the additional data and information the team will have on him and what went wrong, but I'd lean towards giving it another go still. And I think they will, unless the financial belt-tightening goes really far in which case I would think that saving $3-4m and rolling with Pina/Nottingham would look attractive financially.

I'm for giving him another chance, however, if after 20-30 games he looks like he did in 2020, cut bait.

He was just so ridiculously bad that I don't even think he deserves another shot, but I think they give it to him anyway.

If Feliciano is close to being ready, I'd love to see him get a chance maybe after the all-star break...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

They should lock Narvaez in a chair (with a new batting coach) and pry his eyelids open and make him watch his 2019 swing and how much better is was than his slow pitch softball swing of 2020

Wow was his swing in 2019 smooth compared to what we saw in 2020. I have to imagine someone was in his ear to adjust his swing to what we saw in 2020. Could Haines have told him to work on elevating the ball? Certainly a reasonable possibility.

I don’t see them cutting bait on him at this point. His strikeout % for his career went from around 21% up to nearly 40% in 2020. His OBP was north of .350 the last two seasons prior to joining Milwaukee. His bat is legit. He needs to scrap his approach from 2020 and go back to what he did well in 2019,

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The only concern about Pina is that he is 34 next year. I guess it depends on what his arby number comes out to be, but I'm guessing N&N are our catcher platoon next year. They certainly were strong defensively and I can only imagine they would get better offensively...

Narvaez has at least two options and does not have five years of service time, so send him to AAA and go with Pina and Nottingham. Pina has another year of control and is one of the better catchers in the league. Problem solved.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
For what its worth, my wife would be disappointed if Nottingham is not back next year.

Personally, I liked his enthusiasm on strike-outs and energy behind the plate. But I'm guessing that isn't what you are referring to... :laughing

Narvaez has at least two options and does not have five years of service time, so send him to AAA and go with Pina and Nottingham. Pina has another year of control and is one of the better catchers in the league. Problem solved.

$3mil+ to have a catcher sit in AAA and have two right handed hitting catchers on the MLB squad? I really doubt they do that. Guessing the league minimum catcher is the one going to AAA if they hold all three next year (Nottingham). Narvaez and Pina both have proven to hit MLB pitching, Nottingham not so much. If they are really determined to save money I could see Pina possibly being non tendered, especially if there is any concern about his durability post knee injury.

Archived