Brewer Fanatic

2020-09-16, Game 1: Cardinals (Wainwright) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers lose, 4-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barring a 7th inning comeback tonight’s game is going to be pretty critical to find a way. I know Suter is starting, but I’d be awfully tempted to start the game with your top relievers and work backwards from there. (Yes I know they would never actually do that)
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Can someone explain why we just let a pretty good player in Brad Miller go for nothing and ended up with a career scrub like Jace Peterson playing 3rd instead?

He looks like Eric Sogard's bat and Keston Hiura's glove mashed into one player.

Can someone explain why we just let a pretty good player in Brad Miller go for nothing and ended up with a career scrub like Jace Peterson playing 3rd instead?

He looks like Eric Sogard's bat and Keston Hiura's glove mashed into one player.

Brad Miller really wasn’t too bad when he was with us. Seems like the front office has a short leash at times with certain players (Miller, Holt) for some reason when they are solid guys for their careers, but struggle for a short time. But then you have other guys like Sogard X2 and Peterson who can continue to struggle and were nothing special to begin with, but continue to get opportunities. I too would have preferred keeping Smoak and having Gyorko at third instead of even trying this Peterson experiment.

Edit to add that I am not a fan of Smoak at all either, but he at least had a few timely hits. Also, Spangenberg being non-tendered was a head scratcher as well. He was a solid bench bat and has always been a solid player, and for some reason we let him go. Instead of having Spangenberg and a nice lefty bat, we over spent for Sogard.

The simple fact that this Peterson guy is starting every day in a playoff chase is a fireable offense. I'm blaming Stearns for having an embarrassing roster but Counsell doesn't have to play him. Eric Sogard thinks Jaye Peterson sucks.

100% truth.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I just don't think this is going to be a playoff team. They just can't ever seem to maintain any kind of momentum at all. Have we even won more than 2 games in a row this year?

They won three in a row against the Cubs (in the four game series), but I believe that’s the only time they’ve won three straight.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Come back, read the thread, and expect that Brandon Woodruff was complete trash. Looks like a pretty good start to me. Not his fault his defense was crummy and the offense was nearly worthless.

The Brewers fanbase loves to be so critical of any pitcher that has promise and has some good success...but then doesn’t develop into the next great thing. It’s like people are mad he is just a really good pitcher instead of Clayton Kershaw. Not his fault the Brewers have been terrible developing starters.

Started the entire game and gave up 3 runs...rest of the team needs to show up.

Its moves like Sogard and Peterson that really have me questioning both Counsell and Stearns. I actually liked the Holt signing because he has shown an ability throughout his career to get on base but we gave him barely any opportunities to get going.

Why was Sogard and now Peterson given an extremely long leash yet Holt and even Smoak who while not good is certainly a better player than Peterson given less chances. Both Stearns and Counsell have this affinity for middle infield types that flat out can't hit. I hate to rip into a guy like Peterson who is trying his hardest but its pretty easy to see that he should have never been an option for this roster much less playing as much as he has.

Come back, read the thread, and expect that Brandon Woodruff was complete trash. Looks like a pretty good start to me. Not his fault his defense was crummy and the offense was nearly worthless.

The Brewers fanbase loves to be so critical of any pitcher that has promise and has some good success...but then doesn’t develop into the next great thing. It’s like people are mad he is just a really good pitcher instead of Clayton Kershaw. Not his fault the Brewers have been terrible developing starters.

Started the entire game and gave up 3 runs...rest of the team needs to show up.

Completely agree. Developing a top 5 pitcher in the game doesn’t happen very often. Woodruff is probably in the top 15-25 range and the only thing keeping him from being elite is consistency. Woodruff is a great pitcher that still has more room to grow and mature.

Woodruff was fine. Made a couple mistakes and paid for them. Got no offensive or defensive support.

I think Burnes is the better starter between him and Woodruff, but you're not going to get shutouts every time. Getting a little unreasonable to have to keep expecting perfection from your pitching staff in every game.

Archived