Brewer Fanatic

Haines

Madhawk23
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's an (almost) annual tradition for the Cubs to fire their hitting coach while making no changes to their lineup. That they didn't fire theirs before this year is probably the clearest sign that they're not really trying all that hard, their CFAR (Coaches Fired Above Replacement) was unusually low.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
if the offense continues to struggle I wonder if the brewers would replace Haines with their minor league hitting coordinator, Sara Goodrum?

[sarcasm]Are you kidding? Our entire minor league has zero hits this year![/sarcasm]

It's an (almost) annual tradition for the Cubs to fire their hitting coach while making no changes to their lineup. That they didn't fire theirs before this year is probably the clearest sign that they're not really trying all that hard, their CFAR (Coaches Fired Above Replacement) was unusually low.

Imagine how upset we would be if the Brewers lineup read Happ-Bryant-Rizzo-Contreras-Baez the past few years and have zero playoff wins since 2017.

Imagine how upset we would be if the Brewers lineup read Happ-Bryant-Rizzo-Contreras-Baez the past few years and have zero playoff wins since 2017.

I think we have the Brewers and Orlando Arcia to thank for that. Game 163 put the nail in that "dynasty" in the making. And I love nothing more.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think we have the Brewers and Orlando Arcia to thank for that. Game 163 put the nail in that "dynasty" in the making. And I love nothing more.

Perspective. The lineup of Fielder, Braun, Weeks, Hart, Hardy, etc. weren’t exactly playoff stalwarts, and in fact probably lost almost as many regular season games as they won. The Cubs group won a title so they’re the best group the Cubs have had in 100 years and a more successful group than the Brewers ever have.

It must really be hard for Cubs fans to cry themselves to sleep knowing they only won 1 World Series in the last 5 years...

It must really be hard for Cubs fans to cry themselves to sleep knowing they only won 1 World Series in the last 5 years...

Oddly, depending on the generation/age of the Cubs fan, that's actually true in some cases.....

I totally get that the Cubs won a WS. In some ways, I was happy for them at the time. But that team was supposed to win even more and it is nice to know that the Brewers have been an absolute thorn in their side when it comes to them having any other success.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I totally get that the Cubs won a WS. In some ways, I was happy for them at the time. But that team was supposed to win even more and it is nice to know that the Brewers have been an absolute thorn in their side when it comes to them having any other success.

What???

What???

I kinda get it. I grew up as a Cubs fan. They were my NL team. I know a LOT of Cubs fans. My College GF and their family had season tickets to the Cubs. There were endless stories of 90+ year old Cub fans wanting to see ONE WS, I could stomach it.

But I've taken just as much joy in watching the franchise continue to underperform since then, and the Brewers playing a huge role in that.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Oddly, depending on the generation/age of the Cubs fan, that's actually true in some cases.....

It's really not that crazy. When they won that WS, everyone was expecting them to contend for the next several years. They were young and extremely talented, Baez, Contreras, and Schwarber weren't yet full-time starters. There was no reason to think that'd be the last time they'd win a playoff game.

As Packers fans know, you can both win a title and then be disappointed that you didn't win another one while you had the talent. When you're expecting a Dynasty and you can't manage 1 playoff win with your core....that World Series doesn't erase the future disappointment.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

It's a little different though. The Cubs winning a title was 100+ years in the making, none of their fans had ever even seen it in their lifetime. It was an enormous monkey off their backs. The Brewers are kind of in that same spot where whatever it takes to just win one would almost make whatever happens after worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I thought they made some really bad moves that shortened their window and that they absolutely should have been a perennial contender for at least 3-5 years.

What???

I kinda get it. I grew up as a Cubs fan. They were my NL team. I know a LOT of Cubs fans. My College GF and their family had season tickets to the Cubs. There were endless stories of 90+ year old Cub fans wanting to see ONE WS, I could stomach it.

But I've taken just as much joy in watching the franchise continue to underperform since then, and the Brewers playing a huge role in that.

This. I know a few Cubs fans that would be happy for Brewers fans if we ever got one. They’re not all terrible people on that side. And at the time, they weren’t as obnoxious as they have become. So it was a little bit easier to semi-be happy for them. Now, screw em.

This. I know a few Cubs fans that would be happy for Brewers fans if we ever got one. They’re not all terrible people on that side. And at the time, they weren’t as obnoxious as they have become. So it was a little bit easier to semi-be happy for them. Now, screw em.

I've got some cub fan friends and I hated that cub WS. Absolutely hated it. Probably more than I've hated any other WS championship.

One of my very best friends is a vikings fan. I hope he lives a great full life and goes to his grave without ever seeing the vikings hoist the Lombardi trophy. Maybe I'm a curmudgeon, but love thy neighbor has absolutely no bearing on sports fandom in my world.

I know this is sort of rare but I've never really cared about other rival teams winning titles when mine doesn't. I tune the sport out most of the time once my teams are eliminated. I pulled for the Vikings the last couple times they got semi-close. They've lost enough and I just don't care once it's not my team. I'd like to see the Brewers get one at some point but it makes no difference to me if they lose to the Cardinals or Padres on the way.

After a rough start, Huira is absolutely crushing the ball today. We'll never know the exact adjustments made or the amount of help Haines has provided the last few days but Huira looks like the 2019 version today.

It’s a few days, even bad players have MVP streaks. Maybe Hiura has turned it around, but I’m guessing it’s more a hot streak until proven wrong. It’s not like he didn’t have similar stretches in his brutal 2020 season.

Not trying to be negative, but a bit soon to assume Hiura has turned a corner for the long haul.

After a rough start, Huira is absolutely crushing the ball today. We'll never know the exact adjustments made or the amount of help Haines has provided the last few days but Huira looks like the 2019 version today.

It’s a few days, even bad players have MVP streaks. Maybe Hiura has turned it around, but I’m guessing it’s more a hot streak until proven wrong. It’s not like he didn’t have similar stretches in his brutal 2020 season.

Not trying to be negative, but a bit soon to assume Hiura has turned a corner for the long haul.

And good players sometimes go cold and have need of what one former Cub called a "slumpbuster."

Archived