Brewer Fanatic

When is it time to worry about Christian Yelich?

Warning Track Power
Its not time to panic yet but how can you not be concerned. Feels like he strikes out 2-3 times every game. I really hope its the knee and he comes back stronger next season but he has gone from MVP to almost unplayable overnight.

The easiest way I've found to remain unconcerned is via the knowledge that any concern I may or may not have has literally zero bearing on how well or how poorly Christian Yelich (or anyone else) performs playing the game of baseball.

Coming into the season, Yelich was projected by ZIPS for a 964 OPS.

From August 3rd to September 8th (72% of his 2020 PAs) Christian posted a 946 OPS, essentially right in line with his projection when you account for the leaguewide OPS drop this year (770 in 2019 vs 745 in 2020).

Yes, in his first 6 games (037/071/148) & his last 6 games (087/160/174) he hit like a pitcher, but for the overwhelming majority of the season he has hit in line with expectations.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its not time to panic yet but how can you not be concerned. Feels like he strikes out 2-3 times every game. I really hope its the knee and he comes back stronger next season but he has gone from MVP to almost unplayable overnight.

The easiest way I've found to remain unconcerned is via the knowledge that any concern I may or may not have has literally zero bearing on how well or how poorly Christian Yelich (or anyone else) performs playing the game of baseball.

From August 3rd to September 8th (72% of his 2020 PAs) Christian posted a 946 OPS, essentially right in line with his projection when you account for the leaguewide OPS drop this year (770 in 2019 vs 745 in 2020).

Yes, in his first 6 games (037/071/148) & his last 6 games (087/160/174) he hit like a pitcher, but for the overwhelming majority of the season he has hit in line with expectations.

It seems like he is subconsciously protecting his knee. He bails out/steps in the bucket so often that it looks like he's scared. I doubt he's consciously scared, which is why I think his brain is just instinctively trying to keep his knee safe.

[/armchair psychiatrist]

Exactly what I've been thinking from the handful of his AB's I've seen this year. His bottom half is bailing out which is really weird for any batter unless they're facing a same handed sidearmer.

It seems like he is subconsciously protecting his knee. He bails out/steps in the bucket so often that it looks like he's scared. I doubt he's consciously scared, which is why I think his brain is just instinctively trying to keep his knee safe.

[/armchair psychiatrist]

Exactly what I've been thinking from the handful of his AB's I've seen this year. His bottom half is bailing out which is really weird for any batter unless they're facing a same handed sidearmer.

[/armchair psychiatrist]

Hey this odd season and all that's going on affects people differently. There's obviously less passion about the game with a 60 game season, no fans in the stands, and political stuff taking center stage in the clubhouse at least at times. Winning anything this year comes with glaring asterisks. It will not take long for players to turn the page after this season ends. Yelich with his contract had leadership thrust upon him and he didn't have time to grow into that role. Cain opting out didn't help.

We're all hoping things return to normal next year with the virus and all the extraneous stuff going on in sports and the country calming down. That and time for players to start a season after a full 6 weeks in spring training will help the stars struggling this year. Baseball is hard. Focus matters. This "season" is proof. Good hitters struggling, almost every day one or two games with ridiculous lopsided scores, etc.

Hey this odd season and all that's going on affects people differently. There's obviously less passion about the game with a 60 game season, no fans in the stands, and political stuff taking center stage in the clubhouse at least at times. Winning anything this year comes with glaring asterisks. It will not take long for players to turn the page after this season ends. Yelich with his contract had leadership thrust upon him and he didn't have time to grow into that role. Cain opting out didn't help.

We're all hoping things return to normal next year with the virus and all the extraneous stuff going on in sports and the country calming down. That and time for players to start a season after a full 6 weeks in spring training will help the stars struggling this year. Baseball is hard. Focus matters. This "season" is proof. Good hitters struggling, almost every day one or two games with ridiculous lopsided scores, etc.

Remember when we had the Blue vs Gold "world series" and he was striking out and dropping f bombs while miked up? I was a little concerned then. During the game he was talking with the broadcast while playing the outfield and he kind of apologized for the bombs and said he just sucks, or something to that effect. It was candid, and it was kind of funny. But it seemed like his confidence and mindset were in trouble to me. No matter how good a person is at anything, they're going to look bad if they overthink it or their confidence is gone. I'm not too worried about him overall. I feel fairly certain he'll get it back, he's insanely talented. It wouldn't shock me if it takes until next year, though.

Remember when we had the Blue vs Gold "world series" and he was striking out and dropping f bombs while miked up? I was a little concerned then. During the game he was talking with the broadcast while playing the outfield and he kind of apologized for the bombs and said he just sucks, or something to that effect. It was candid, and it was kind of funny. But it seemed like his confidence and mindset were in trouble to me. No matter how good a person is at anything, they're going to look bad if they overthink it or their confidence is gone. I'm not too worried about him overall. I feel fairly certain he'll get it back, he's insanely talented. It wouldn't shock me if it takes until next year, though.

This might sound weird, but maybe he’s freaked out about the pandemic. Wondering if he should even be out there playing. And the wildfires in Cali are worse than ever. Maybe his mind is elsewhere. Maybe he is thinking “I should have opted out like Lo Cain.” Baseball is too tough to play if you aren’t 100% dialed in and all in.

Look, he’s human. These are extenuating circumstances in 2020.

To answer the original question: no, I’m not worried about Yelich.

Usually great players don’t just fall off the shelf in their prime years. Unless he was juicing before, or there is some sort of injury thing he is struggling with that will continue, he’s gonna be fine. Probably just needs to hit with Barry Bonds some more in the offseason and get the swing dialed back in and get the swagger back. He’ll be fine. And he’ll go back to being a star player

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

This might sound weird, but maybe he’s freaked out about the pandemic. Wondering if he should even be out there playing. And the wildfires in Cali are worse than ever. Maybe his mind is elsewhere. Maybe he is thinking “I should have opted out like Lo Cain.” Baseball is too tough to play if you aren’t 100% dialed in and all in.

Usually great players don’t just fall off the shelf in their prime years. Unless he was juicing before, or there is some sort of injury thing he is struggling with that will continue, he’s gonna be fine. Probably just needs to hit with Barry Bonds some more in the offseason and get the swing dialed back in and get the swagger back. He’ll be fine. And he’ll go back to being a star player

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Cody Bellinger is hitting .218 with a .715 OPS.

Javy Baez is hitting .203 with a .601 OPS.

JD Martinez is hitting .205 with a .648 OPS

There's a lot of dudes struggling this year.

Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant have also been terrible, while David freaking Bote looks like Carl Yastrzemski. 2020 is a weird, sucky year.

I am pretty sure you mean Ian Happ not David Bote. Bote has a .732 OPS.

Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant have also been terrible, while David freaking Bote looks like Carl Yastrzemski. 2020 is a weird, sucky year.

Yeah, you're right. I get those two scrubs confused.

Archived