Brewer Fanatic

When is it time to worry about Christian Yelich?

Warning Track Power
He’s not being pitched around. He’s missing meatballs down the middle of the plate. It’s also not because the ball isn’t juiced. You’d have to make contact for that to be a factor. This season may be an anomaly for him but his horrible season is a huge reason this team will probably miss the post season. Not a great start for the man we just gave the richest contract in our history to. Disappointing to say the least.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He’s not being pitched around. He’s missing meatballs down the middle of the plate. It’s also not because the ball isn’t juiced. You’d have to make contact for that to be a factor. This season may be an anomaly for him but his horrible season is a huge reason this team will probably miss the post season. Not a great start for the man we just gave the richest contract in our history to. Disappointing to say the least.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Worried maybe, but not sure it is time to panic. End of the day we gave this guy $200mil to go hit like an MVP while he is young. Basically paid him to have a HOF career with us and be the modern day Robin Yount to fans. We aren’t paying him $26mil a year at 33-36 for him to be anything short of an MVP level player right now. If he reverts back to pre-2018 levels that would even be terrible and he was a borderline All Star player.

Worried maybe, but not sure it is time to panic. End of the day we gave this guy $200mil to go hit like an MVP while he is young. Basically paid him to have a HOF career with us and be the modern day Robin Yount to fans. We aren’t paying him $26mil a year at 33-36 for him to be anything short of an MVP level player right now. If he reverts back to pre-2018 levels that would even be terrible and he was a borderline All Star player.

His contract is so bad at this point that I might try to trade him for whatever we can get assuming the team takes the entirety of the contract off our hands which would obviously be disappointing to get nothing for a b2b MVP but his contract literally has the ability to ruin the franchise.

His contract is so bad at this point that I might try to trade him for whatever we can get assuming the team takes the entirety of the contract off our hands which would obviously be disappointing to get nothing for a b2b MVP but his contract literally has the ability to ruin the franchise.

I think the biggest worry is his whiffs. He is struggling to even touch a ball lately. 12 Ks in his last 18 ABs. He's pulling off every pitch and looks like a high school kid who just saw his first curve ball. Even Rock mentioned twice yesterday that Yelich is pulling away (used to be called stepping in the bucket) with his front foot and pulling his head out. I don't know where he sits among NL leaders in Ks, but it has to be very close to #1 along with Huira and Baez.

I think the biggest worry is his whiffs. He is struggling to even touch a ball lately. 12 Ks in his last 18 ABs. He's pulling off every pitch and looks like a high school kid who just saw his first curve ball. Even Rock mentioned twice yesterday that Yelich is pulling away (used to be called stepping in the bucket) with his front foot and pulling his head out. I don't know where he sits among NL leaders in Ks, but it has to be very close to #1 along with Huira and Baez.

I think I can say with 100% certainty that this will not happen. Cause for concern? Yep. But they aren't going to trade the face of the franchise based on 150 at bats played in front of no fans during a pandemic. I think we need to tone down the hyperbole here a bit.

I think I can say with 100% certainty that this will not happen. Cause for concern? Yep. But they aren't going to trade the face of the franchise based on 150 at bats played in front of no fans during a pandemic. I think we need to tone down the hyperbole here a bit.

He'd have to do what he's doing now for 7 years for this to be true. He could fall off quite a bit from MVP levels and while it would be far from ideal it shouldn't ruin the team. Some would have said that about Braun if given his games played and stats 10 years ago. Most would say Braun is overpaid but he's been fairly productive and while the money could better be used elsewhere it's been OK.

Also his contract isn't "bad." He was called a sucker for signing it.

He'd have to do what he's doing now for 7 years for this to be true. He could fall off quite a bit from MVP levels and while it would be far from ideal it shouldn't ruin the team. Some would have said that about Braun if given his games played and stats 10 years ago. Most would say Braun is overpaid but he's been fairly productive and while the money could better be used elsewhere it's been OK.

I can understand why some would want to trade him. It is scary that we have a player that may or may not figure it out who costs a lot. But yes, it is a bit crazy to think the Brewers are just going to sign him for $200+ million and then trade him the next offseason. Like it was mentioned last night in the game thread, last offseason BEFORE the deal was done was the time to look at moving him. It is what it's going to be now. Hopefully, we will be on the right side of this thing (for once).

I can understand why some would want to trade him. It is scary that we have a player that may or may not figure it out who costs a lot. But yes, it is a bit crazy to think the Brewers are just going to sign him for $200+ million and then trade him the next offseason. Like it was mentioned last night in the game thread, last offseason BEFORE the deal was done was the time to look at moving him. It is what it's going to be now. Hopefully, we will be on the right side of this thing (for once).

That's because a lot of people don't seem to understand that the farther away a player is from free agency when they sign an extension, the less leverage they have. Yelich was 3 years away from free agency when he signed, and a lot can happen in 3 years, as we are learning.

If he had been going into free agency this year his market would probably have been 10/$350M, but he's not going to get that 3 years out. I don't think he was a sucker, nor do I think his contract is bad (not yet, anyway). Simple exchange of potential future earnings for current security.

That's because a lot of people don't seem to understand that the farther away a player is from free agency when they sign an extension, the less leverage they have. Yelich was 3 years away from free agency when he signed, and a lot can happen in 3 years, as we are learning.

If he had been going into free agency this year his market would probably have been 10/$350M, but he's not going to get that 3 years out. I don't think he was a sucker, nor do I think his contract is bad (not yet, anyway). Simple exchange of potential future earnings for current security.

Archived