Brewer Fanatic

2020-09-14, Game 2: Cardinals (Ponce de Leon) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers lose, 3-2 in 9 innings]

Eye Black
Counsell needs to be asked tough questions but won't be. It has the feel of a guy who is pissed at his boss and is just going to sit back and let the office fall apart and say well I told you. Somethings up. Don't be shocked if this offseason turns into a finger pointing situation.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Counsell needs to be asked tough questions but won't be. It has the feel of a guy who is pissed at his boss and is just going to sit back and let the office fall apart and say well I told you. Somethings up. Don't be shocked if this offseason turns into a finger pointing situation.

Pretty disappointing game.... way worse than the no hitter.

Pitching to Deyoung in that situation was about the dumbest thing I've seen all year.....

Treating the second game of a double header with no urgency whatsoever... pitching the absolute worst pitchers when others, even a starter or two COULD have thrown an inning in extras.

Huge series with playoff implications.... wow....treated like a spring training game. We were absolutely fine losing that game.

Pitching to Deyoung in that situation was about the dumbest thing I've seen all year.....

Treating the second game of a double header with no urgency whatsoever... pitching the absolute worst pitchers when others, even a starter or two COULD have thrown an inning in extras.

Huge series with playoff implications.... wow....treated like a spring training game. We were absolutely fine losing that game.

Urias just seems to be powerless. He has good plate discipline and seems to play defense well for the most part but I just see no pop in that bat.

He hit 19 home runs in less than 300 at bats at Triple-A last year. Yes, that was in hitters parks with a Mickey Mouse baseball, but you still don’t do that if you have no pop. His exit velocities have been solid enough to believe he’ll be able to drive the ball at some point. He’s also just turned 23 and is coming off a broken hamate bone which historically saps power in the short-term. I’m not worrying about it right now.

Didn't Sogard hit 16 HRs last season. I hope you are right about Urias but I just don't see many extra base hits in that bat. If he hits 10-15 HRs with a bunch of doubles that would be great but it would be surprising.

Urias just seems to be powerless. He has good plate discipline and seems to play defense well for the most part but I just see no pop in that bat.

He hit 19 home runs in less than 300 at bats at Triple-A last year. Yes, that was in hitters parks with a Mickey Mouse baseball, but you still don’t do that if you have no pop. His exit velocities have been solid enough to believe he’ll be able to drive the ball at some point. He’s also just turned 23 and is coming off a broken hamate bone which historically saps power in the short-term. I’m not worrying about it right now.

Didn't Sogard hit 16 HRs last season. I hope you are right about Urias but I just don't see many extra base hits in that bat. If he hits 10-15 HRs with a bunch of doubles that would be great but it would be surprising.

It’s fine, I didn’t want an asterisk World Series anyway. Let’s take some lessons from this year and come back fresh next year.

Like quitting while we are in a playoff race... good lesson. Take your ball and go home philosophy?

Just sarcasm, for which I suppose I should have used the sarcasm filter. However, your comment does suggest the question that if these hitters did actually quit, how would it look any different from the current output?

It’s fine, I didn’t want an asterisk World Series anyway. Let’s take some lessons from this year and come back fresh next year.

Like quitting while we are in a playoff race... good lesson. Take your ball and go home philosophy?

Just sarcasm, for which I suppose I should have used the sarcasm filter. However, your comment does suggest the question that if these hitters did actually quit, how would it look any different from the current output?

I've never really seen a Brewers team struggle so much to hit pitches out over the plate. Not even good pitches, we consistently see swings and misses on center cut fastballs and hanging breaking balls, what used to be called mistake pitches. It doesn't seem to be as much of a chasing problem as most are drawing walks, they just can't hit.

I've never really seen a Brewers team struggle so much to hit pitches out over the plate. Not even good pitches, we consistently see swings and misses on center cut fastballs and hanging breaking balls, what used to be called mistake pitches. It doesn't seem to be as much of a chasing problem as most are drawing walks, they just can't hit.

Seemed like you were dead serious about all of it.

September of 2014 was similar....

No, he hit 13. Sogard’s average exit velocity this year is 84.6 mph which is in the bottom 4% of baseball. Urias’ average exit velocity is 88.7 mph which is the 50th percentile across baseball. That is also something he’ll likely continue to improve upon as he gets older and is further removed from the hamate bone injury.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived