Brewer Fanatic

Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon

homer

In reality, it's probably not. It's just not great optics. Or it's great to see some normalcy, depending on how one looks at it.

It's probably not smart...but what I'm really shocked about is that we haven't heard about more guys going out and screwing around and getting Covid. You've had one larger outbreak in Florida and then the Cards had a few guys get it, but it's really been pretty smooth thus far.

NFL seems to have tighter restrictions and players get fined for breaking protocol. It’s also a league that operates on “game checks”. Money talks.

The hand shakes after the game are a non issue to me. They just spent 3 hours blocking and tackling each other. The contact barrier has already been broken.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Very interesting to see Krys Barnes and Jon Lovett on the field with the defense and offense. Given they were elevated from the PS, I expected them to see backup/special teams only.

Lovett was only out on one(?) play and blocking. But Barnes looked like the second starting MLB out there (as much as we use the position) and made a couple big plays. Summers was listed as the starter, but I don't remember seeing either him nor Burke on the field on defense.

Degura was out there more than I expected also. Made one nice play and was too slow on another route.

Runyan was up and down. He had a lot of help in pass protection, but was a key blocker in Jones' last TD run.

I wasn't expecting to see Dillon at all, so him getting in a couple nice runs was good to see.

Love was thankfully quiet.

All-in-all a good day for the rookies.

Edit: I guess Barnes is on the regular roster, but still.. for a guy that was behind Burks and Summers, he sure played a lot.

Very interesting to see Krys Barnes and Jon Lovett on the field with the defense and offense. Given they were elevated from the PS, I expected them to see backup/special teams only.

Lovett was only out on one(?) play and blocking. But Barnes looked like the second starting MLB out there (as much as we use the position) and made a couple big plays. Summers was listed as the starter, but I don't remember seeing either him nor Burke on the field on defense.

Degura was out there more than I expected also. Made one nice play and was too slow on another route.

Runyan was up and down. He had a lot of help in pass protection, but was a key blocker in Jones' last TD run.

I wasn't expecting to see Dillon at all, so him getting in a couple nice runs was good to see.

Love was thankfully quiet.

All-in-all a good day for the rookies.

Edit: I guess Barnes is on the regular roster, but still.. for a guy that was behind Burks and Summers, he sure played a lot.

I don't know if Degura was too slow on that route. He had Kendricks beat. Rodgers just didn't put anything under it. Probably one of the only throws he'd like to have back. He's certainly not a burner or anything, but we knew that going in.

It was surprising to see Barnes out there. Burks is apparently dealing with a quad and I saw one beat writer say they didn't want to risk further injury. That seems like a positive spin. He's already not a very physical LB'er and Barnes played alright for a guy who wasn't on the roster a week ago.

Big questions are going to be what do the Packers do on both sides of the line. From what I've heard, Nijman is still a project, yet he was active. It was a good game, but Lancaster and Lowry didn't look good at all.

Maybe we bring Light back and hopefully we add a veteran DL. There are still impact players available. I can't get Lancaster's little belly flop on Cook's first TD run out of my mind.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I’ll take road wins all day long, but that sure had the feel of a 2019 Packer win.

Basically to me every game is neutral site right now.

Overall this is basically the exact same team as last year. Adams is awesome and Jones is good but not really any other weapons for Rodgers other than that, so we live and die by how well #12 plays. I realize that MVS and Lazard had nice statistical days, but that was really just a product of how awesome AR was today rather than anything special that those two did on offense.

Defense can't stop the run, pretty good secondary except when they go into prevent mode.

It's almost a carbon copy of 2019. Which, they did win 13 games last year so that's not the worst thing in the world. I'm just not sure it'll be good enough again when we face a true elite opponent.

As an aside, I know there's a long ways to go, but the contrast in which the NFL has better handled the COVID-19 situation compared to MLB is just startling.

The NFL managed to put 17K fans in a stadium for their opening game. MLB has been fanless the entire time and still almost lost their entire season in the opening week.

I also was personally surprised to find out that at least for me, lack of fans had zero impact on my perception of the game. I thought the NFL experience would be most affected by lack of fans. If I didn't know they weren't there I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

A few quick thoughts:

1)Defense is always behind offense early in the season, and probably more so this year, but holy crap does that Viking unit look bad. They're going to have to score a lot of points to let their new-ish defense catch up, and I wouldn't bet on Cousins to pull that off. The number of points the Packers gave up doesn't look good on paper, but there was really no legit defensive 'scheme' for nearly the entire 4th quarter. I'm more annoyed they gave up three consecutive 2 pointers than anything.

2)Consequently, this offense looked really good today. MVS showed flashes of being a guy who can beat anyone today, he just needs to catch the ball consistently to be a massive play maker.

3)As shaky as Rodgers looked last year in a lot of the games, that looked like MVP-level Rodgers out there today. Not sure if that's more time with the scheme, better rapport with his weapons, or whatever, but holy crap was he good.

4)Alexander and King both had a hiccup late in the game, but Jaire has become one of the top-tier corners in the league. HR of a draft pick. If King can stay on the field (Big if, I know), they're a really good CB tandem.

5)Adams, just wow.

A few quick thoughts:

1)Defense is always behind offense early in the season, and probably more so this year, but holy crap does that Viking unit look bad. They're going to have to score a lot of points to let their new-ish defense catch up, and I wouldn't bet on Cousins to pull that off. The number of points the Packers gave up doesn't look good on paper, but there was really no legit defensive 'scheme' for nearly the entire 4th quarter. I'm more annoyed they gave up three consecutive 2 pointers than anything.

2)Consequently, this offense looked really good today. MVS showed flashes of being a guy who can beat anyone today, he just needs to catch the ball consistently to be a massive play maker.

3)As shaky as Rodgers looked last year in a lot of the games, that looked like MVP-level Rodgers out there today. Not sure if that's more time with the scheme, better rapport with his weapons, or whatever, but holy crap was he good.

4)Alexander and King both had a hiccup late in the game, but Jaire has become one of the top-tier corners in the league. HR of a draft pick. If King can stay on the field (Big if, I know), they're a really good CB tandem.

5)Adams, just wow.

The 2 point conversions were sort of tough for us with a back like Cook and our run D. I am more concerned about the quick scores when all we had to do was stop them from scoring quick to win but they had like a 1 minute and two 2 minute drives in the 4th quarter. That clearly needs work and I think that goes back to last season, just not sold on Pettine right now. 34 points in 18 minutes is really brutal. But it's week one, will see how they do against Stafford next week who is a better QB than Cousins.

Someone brought up here earlier but Cephus had 3 catches and a game high 10 targets today for the Lions. We had some debate here about his NFL potential and I haven't been paying attention but that is pretty impressive for a rookie WR with a short camp.

Week one really doesn't tell you much. Particularly with no preseason. We will know what's what after they play NOLA in week 3.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's been several years since Rodgers has had a game like that. Everything he threw was spot on. Truly vintage performance today from him. Of course, he had to be licking his chops looking at the dumpster fire that makes up the Vikings' QB room. Not only did Adams school those guys, they were destroyed by the likes of Lazard and MVS (who should have had a HUGE game today) as well.

Fun game to watch. Extra special for me having several friends who are rabid Viking fans.

I don't know if Degura was too slow on that route. He had Kendricks beat. Rodgers just didn't put anything under it. Probably one of the only throws he'd like to have back. He's certainly not a burner or anything, but we knew that going in.

It looked like a route with two options. He held up as if he thought Rodgers was going to hit him short, but Kendrick had that covered.

Then was late getting out and around Kendrick where Rodgers lead him. Rodgers probably could've put more air under it, but with his hesitation, it looked like he misread the defense.

Fun game to watch. Extra special for me having several friends who are rabid Viking fans.

I live and work in the Twin Cities. Work will be fun tomorrow. ;)

A few quick thoughts:

5)Adams, just wow.

I really think there's something to Rodgers looking at how he was throwing the ball off balance last year and that might have contributed to him performing so much better. That, the fact that the Vikes weren't able to just rush since there was so much play action and so many quick hitters.

As for Defense, I'd have said offense is usually behind defense early in the season. But either way, once they get Hunter back, I don't think that's going to be a bad defense. That's two really good edge defenders, Weatherly and their DT's are good, Kendricks and Barr are good LB'ers and their safeties are just about as good as any teams. But their CB's look terrible. I still see Minnesota as a 8-10 win team.

Agree with everything else and would add Jenkins looked outstanding everywhere he played. For a guy who's played mostly center and then guard last year, I think they could get through a season with him at RT.

Week one really doesn't tell you much. Particularly with no preseason. We will know what's what after they play NOLA in week 3.

If they're competitive against the Saints in NO, I'll be impressed. That team is loaded. Right up there with SF, Balt and KC. There are just no holes on paper when you look at that team.

The Packers are just not good on that DL. When Clark is there, they at least have a chance. If he's hobbled or misses time, it's just an ugly group.

It looked like a route with two options. He held up as if he thought Rodgers was going to hit him short, but Kendrick had that covered.

Then was late getting out and around Kendrick where Rodgers lead him. Rodgers probably could've put more air under it, but with his hesitation, it looked like he misread the defense.

Could be. I thought it was just a simple wheel route, one those guys run out of that system(not that they don't run several option routes). They tried it a couple times last year with Vitale. At least he had good speed though(for a FB). But there's not much room for error there with a slower TE/FB with a small catch radius.

Anyone hear any updates on King or Taylor? I'm assuming Taylor's out for the season, but curious about King.

I'd REALLY like to see the Packers go out and pick up Jerrigan(who's been banged up, but played very well when healthy and is just 29).

Harrison is obviously a logical choice(and the best one IMO).

Lancaster's a lost cause at this point. I never give up on guys early, but he's just brutal to watch. We've at least seen Lowry play well for stretches. I haven't seen that from Lancaster.

And Larry Warford might be a good idea to shore up the OL. It'd allow the Packers to continue to play Jenkins at RT.

Jerrigan, Harrison should be available for ~3 million and maybe another million with incentives. A guy like Marcel Dareus should be available for less than that.

Warford would likely cost much more as it was rumored he wanted 7 million to play this year. But he's a pro-bowl caliber Guard(A former All Pro) who's still in his prime...so obviously he'd be more expensive.

This team looks MUCH better on offense and we haven't seen what Dillon can do, if St. Brown can continue, what the TE's Jace and Tonyan can do.

The Defense looks great on the edge(Gary played well today) at CB, good safeties(With room to grow). But I don't know what'll stop teams just just washing them in the running game if they don't get another difference maker AND Clark doesn't stay healthy.

A few more thoughts with a little more time to review the game:

6)Who knows how the rest of the season plays out, but it was great to see Kirksey's name all over the stat sheet. He really seems to flow to the ball well.

7)Considering the negative opinions about taking a 'project' at 12 overall, it was nice to see Gary around the QB yesterday. Hopefully the next step is translating that to actual sacks.

8)Goals for a team are probably 1)Win, 2)Win while looking as 'pretty' as you can, and 3)Win while staying mostly healthy afterward. I think the Packers did a nice job on 1 & 2, but they got hit a bit with the injuries. Taylor's appears to be the one that we all assume is a long-term injury, but it'll be important to see the official injury/practice reports later this week. The good news is that the Packers managed to assemble a fairly deep and versatile group of o-linemen and should be able to weather 2-3 injuries along the line very well. It's when that creeps to 4-5 that any team's depth is challenged. Hopefully a few guys get healthy there before another goes down.

Taylor officially out for the year, if there was any question left on that.

I don't think there was. It's not 100 pct, but trainers can tell by how much give there is in your knee almost immediately.

Sucks...the OL was looking REALLY good with Jenkins at RT.

Now the question is, are the Packers better off playing Jenkins at RT when Turner comes back or sticking with Turner/Wagner out there? I'll say Jenkins, but I know that's not the route they'll go.

Packers also apparently made an offer to Damon Harrison earlier in the off-season. One that Snacks didn't find suitable I guess, but they made an offer.

Could be. I thought it was just a simple wheel route, one those guys run out of that system(not that they don't run several option routes). They tried it a couple times last year with Vitale. At least he had good speed though(for a FB). But there's not much room for error there with a slower TE/FB with a small catch radius.

Yeah, I don't know the options on his route. I just saw him slow and put up his hands, then put on the afterburners to try to get to where Rodgers threw it.

This writer saw the same thing.

The rookie missed on a shot play up the sideline where he appeared to turn and look for the football too early, slowing down up the sideline.

Archived