Brewer Fanatic

2020-09-11: Cubs (Lester) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers win, 1-0 -- Woodruff w/ 7.0 IP, 12 SO, 1 H, 0 BB; Braun walk-off sac fly in 9th]

Eye Black
A good way to lose me is to post stats. The best indication to judge someone's performance is the the eye test, and Hiura and Yelich have been quite disappointing. Their only saving grace this year is they are hitting more dingers than anyone else on the team, but then again they're the only two guys playing nearly every day.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding Yelich, I think his timing is still off. I’ve seen speculation that maybe his stance/bat load are different from past years, but I don’t know how much truth there is to it. The reason I am not ready to panic is because he’s still scorching the ball when he does make contact. He has a top ten average exit velocity across all hitters in MLB this year, so it’s not like his power has been zapped. I think he really just needs to figure out the timing thing, and it doesn’t seem like that has happened yet.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

A good way to lose me is to post stats. The best indication to judge someone's performance is the the eye test, and Hiura and Yelich have been quite disappointing. Their only saving grace this year is they are hitting more dingers than anyone else on the team, but then again they're the only two guys playing nearly every day.

I agree that they have been disappointing and frustrating to watch, but I will agree to disagree that the eye test outweighs stats (which also indicate that they have been disappointing in relation to expectations, but it's certainly not a stretch to consider them at least average players still) ;)

I agree that they have been disappointing and frustrating to watch, but I will agree to disagree that the eye test outweighs stats (which also indicate that they have been disappointing in relation to expectations, but it's certainly not a stretch to consider them at least average players still) ;)

You know what they say. Stats can say whatever you want them to say, aka stats lie.

Regarding Yelich, I think his timing is still off. I’ve seen speculation that maybe his stance/bat load are different from past years, but I don’t know how much truth there is to it. The reason I am not ready to panic is because he’s still scorching the ball when he does make contact. He has a top ten average exit velocity across all hitters in MLB this year, so it’s not like his power has been zapped. I think he really just needs to figure out the timing thing, and it doesn’t seem like that has happened yet.

His chase rate is way up......

I don't really consider a guy hitting .213 (Yelich) and .229 (Hiura) as average. They are having bad years, and any stat that anyone tosses out there to try and show differently is just kidding themselves. imo of course...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Woodruff is pitching well.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived