Brewer Fanatic

Intermittent Fasting and Weight Loss

GAME05

I actually had planned on having the celebratory beer when they won (at least that's what I told myself shortly before game time) but then forgot all about it between the pageantry of the victory and the rather unexpected emotions.

Oh, and I got on the scale after work about a half hour ago. I'm down to 194 already! Is that normal? I feel that this is unrealistic and something screwy is going on.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job holding fast! (pun intended)

But I think a good key to holding to a diet (or lifestyle change in my case) is to make certain allowances for "cheating" on special occasions. If you are out for a celebration with friends and family, don't feel like you can't break a fast and feel like a heel to not partake. Personally, I plan to eat breakfast with my family on Saturday mornings (we have a bigger meal) each week. But obviously "celebrating" every night really won't work either. :)

If your goal is to lose weight quickly, being more hardline might be needed. I'm doing it long term (i.e. lifestyle change) so if I'm going out with friends or get sick and need to break my fast on occasion, I don't feel guilty about doing it. The best diets are the ones you can live with.

It takes 21 days to form a habit. Go hardline for 21 days to establish habits, then put a little reward into your diet. If you're good all week, treat yourself a little on Saturday night. If you're good all month, last Saturday of the month you can eat whatever you want.

I actually had planned on having the celebratory beer when they won (at least that's what I told myself shortly before game time) but then forgot all about it between the pageantry of the victory and the rather unexpected emotions.

Oh, and I got on the scale after work about a half hour ago. I'm down to 194 already! Is that normal? I feel that this is unrealistic and something screwy is going on.

Pretty normal from what has happened with me. Then it stopped once I was down 20. Then after a week or so it kicked back up again.

When I went to Nashville for a weekend I stopped fasting and didnt worry about what I ate and put on 8ish pounds( a lot of beer too). I did one 24 hour fast and lost 7 pounds.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hard to say how quickly you can or should drop... The further overweight you are, the faster you can drop of course.

Just be sure to be getting your liquids in. Being dehydrated can mimic weight loss, but obviously it isn't real nor healthy.

My first 5-8 pounds dropped pretty quickly, but then slowed down. Reversed around Christmas, then started a slow decent to being down 13 lbs overall now. I started around 30 lbs over where I should be.

• 2 weeks later...

On Thursday/Friday I did a 30 hour fast. Basically because I had a work lunch on Thursday where I ended up having a little more than I should have and wasn't hungry for supper Thursday night. Friday fast was planned already.

Wasn't much harder than a 24 hour, so basically it wasn't hard at all. Broke the fast with steak dinner last night, all I could manage was the salad, 3/4 of the potato and half the 1 lb Tbone.

Fast had a 4 lb weight swing even though I drank a lot of water, coffee and tea. I was feeling pretty fat and bloated on Thursday though, so the 4 lbs swing was no surprise.

Yep! I put on 7 pounds over my trip to Pitt. 24 hour fast dropped 4 pounds. Obviously it's a lot of water weight, but it does wonder for my psyche.

Edit: I may have mentioned it and forgot. JJ Watt does a 24 hour fast after every 'big meal/day's. That's where I got the idea. He basically ssid it shocks the body back into normalcy.

• 5 months later...

Hopefully folks are having continued success and health improvements by carrying around less extra weight.

I've been sticking with the two fasts per week, and moderate exercise that I can keep with being in my mid 40s and having a busy schedule.

For the past few weeks there has been about an 8 lb variation between my lightest and heaviest weigh ins of the week. If I extrapolate from that that my "true" weight is in the middle ground of those two extremes, I'm down 31 lbs since I began with all this. Obviously worth it, and it's been relatively easy for me. I've got a little ways to go before I may try switching to 1 fast per week.

• 4 weeks later...

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.