Brewer Fanatic

Intermittent Fasting and Weight Loss

GAME05

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ok, I'm in. Just did my first fast last night/this morning. 17 hours without dying. :) Actually, it was pretty easy. I was hungry by lunch, but not horrible. Being able to drink black coffee helps too. ;)

My goal is to drop 20 lbs while trimming the belly fat. We'll see how it goes.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I weighed in yesterday. So far, I have dropped 5 lbs with regular moderate exercise over 5 months, and another 8 lbs over the last 6 weeks doing a 24 hour or so fast once or twice per week.

Now I realize weight isn’t everything. Certainly over the first 5 months muscle had to be increased which would offset some changes on weight. But it’d really stalled for 2 months and I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t have lost much fat these past 6 weeks without the fasting. And it really isn’t even hard to do. Your mileage may vary.

My plan is to keep at it 2x per week until I’m down at least another 5 lbs and past the holidays and then probably go back to once per week simply because I love breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

First week of fasting went pretty well. I'm doing 16/8 fasting (so 6:30PM to 10:30AM) and using both the Fastic and Fasting Tracker apps - both have their positives and I'm not sure which I prefer yet.

I do get hungry in the morning as I love breakfast, but my coffee consoles me. :) It doesn't take long for it to go away; a couple times I've fasted straight to lunch. Only one time did I come short of 16 hours (15.5 hours) and that was because I was out for brunch on Saturday with friends. I'm down 4 pounds, but my weight goes up and down a couple pounds each week normally and I seemed to start on a high point.

I've not changed my diet greatly - I had a nice ribeye Saturday night and pizza on Wednesday night. But generally we do eat pretty healthy (very little eating out, mostly homecooked meals). Eating more carrot and celery sticks at lunch as my side is probably the main change I've made to my diet.

As someone mentioned above, I've noticed that I do tend to fill-up faster during supper. So I'm not sure if that is stomach shrink or just that meals tend to be more compressed and you don't fully empty before eating again. Either way, I've noticed a few times where I eat less at supper too.

• 2 months later...

I made it through the holidays without fattening up too bad despite a couple weeks of only 1x/week fasting and minimal exercise due to a couple injuries. Have been back to 2x/week 24 hour fasts and regular moderate exercise. Weight loss seems to have stalled for the past month, although I cannot rule out that some fat is being replaced with muscle, as I have gradually been ramping up strength training.

One little victory came yesterday. My girlfriend got me a new belt for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago but she got the wrong size, I couldn't put it on. Yesterday I wore it for the first time, and used the 3rd hole on it.

• 3 months later...

I'm curious if anyone has seen cholesterol reductions (HDL specifically) due to IF? I was doing some reading and there seem to be some correlation between the two. Seems logical that if your body switches from carbs to burning fat that reduction in cholesterol would be a potential byproduct. Obviously, general weight loss will do it also, but I'm curious about the impacts of the IF autophagy and ketosis states also.

My cholesterol is normally in the "ok" range, but I wouldn't mind improving it also (especially HDL reduction).

For my weight loss, I dropped a few pounds quickly, then slowly dragged to about 8-9 lbs loss (over the winter, I didn't have much of an outlet for exercise). Now that it has warmed up, I spend more time outside and I'm seeing the slow progress continue (progress being the goal, speed isn't). My annual checkup is coming fairly soon, so I'll see what happens to cholesterol also.

I've basically been doing one meal a day and occasionally eating lunch. My HDL dropped. I assume its because of the IF and exercise, though I cannot guarantee which is the reason.

As of this morning I've lost 32 pounds as of this morning. The IF helped me drop the first 10-20 pretty easily and the last 10-12 has been more challenging. I have been loosening the belt a bit on weekend though since I am with the fam

I’ve generally been doing one meal a day also, one huge meal between 11a-12p. I’m currently down 88 lbs since June 18 of last year. I was down 80 by the middle of February and I’ve kind of leveled off since then. I probably drink too much and like stoutdude I do it up on the weekends sometimes. But overall I’m very happy. I’m going to make a a push to get under the 200 lb mark which I don’t think I’ve seen in over 20 years.

I’ve generally been doing one meal a day also, one huge meal between 11a-12p. I’m currently down 88 lbs since June 18 of last year. I was down 80 by the middle of February and I’ve kind of leveled off since then. I probably drink too much and like stoutdude I do it up on the weekends sometimes. But overall I’m very happy. I’m going to make a a push to get under the 200 lb mark which I don’t think I’ve seen in over 20 years.

This is awesome. I saw 198 and 180 is the next pitstop for me.

I'm excited for you. The hardest part of IF is the first few days, but I kinda like how it tests my willpower and as long as it doesnt have series health risks I'm going to keep doing it for the time being.

This is awesome. I saw 198 and 180 is the next pitstop for me.

I'm excited for you. The hardest part of IF is the first few days, but I kinda like how it tests my willpower and as long as it doesnt have series health risks I'm going to keep doing it for the time being.

Thanks, I appreciate it. The "good" thing about starting out so heavy is that just with a few adjustments I was able to see results within a few days which was encouraging and kept me going forward. I live by myself so I can have as much or as little food around as I want. Plus I've been working 11:30am-8:00pm which is a built in excuse to decline dining out opportunities. Good luck going forward.

I still fast a good amount, though more due to a weird work schedule than actually trying. But down 10# more even though for the most part I don't care what I eat. It appears that regardless of what I eat, my body requires 45 minutes of moderate exercise. So it's deadlifts every other day (which amazingly doesn't hurt my back) and then hitting the heavy bag.

I've kept doing a 24 hour fast twice per week. It really helped lose the easy weight, now it is basically maintenance. I haven't been losing or gaining weight but I attribute that to the fact that work and a couple of minor injuries have kept me from having a regular exercise routine for extended periods. If not for IF, my guess is I'd probably have gained 5 lbs over the past month or so.

I've kept doing a 24 hour fast twice per week. It really helped lose the easy weight, now it is basically maintenance. I haven't been losing or gaining weight but I attribute that to the fact that work and a couple of minor injuries have kept me from having a regular exercise routine for extended periods. If not for IF, my guess is I'd probably have gained 5 lbs over the past month or so.

Its all those BBQ cookouts while watching the ice breakup! ;)

I've had a couple fasts last 18-20 hours (16-17 normally), but I've not tried 24 yet. I'm doing this more as a lifestyle change (i.e. not eating breakfast nor snacking late). Any particular reason 24 hours helps so much more (other than skipping another meal)?

My first 10 lbs or so came off slowly and surely. I'd like to lose another 10 to drop below 200, then maintain. I'm noticing now, I'm much hungrier when it comes to lunch time and a few more mood swings than before (i.e. snickers your-not-you-when-you're-hungry). I'm not sure if that is because of increased activity in the summer or just getting closer to a good "natural" weight for me.

Side note: I've always been heavy for my size, but not "big". Most people are stunned to hear that I'm over 200 lbs as I generally "look" fit. So while I'm "supposed" to be 175 lbs, I don't think that is very realistic for my body type. I was 180lbs in college and a bean-pole. It just annoys me that BMI is always a simple height/weight ratio (yeah, its "easy"), but it never matched me very well, IMO.

I've had a couple fasts last 18-20 hours (16-17 normally), but I've not tried 24 yet. I'm doing this more as a lifestyle change (i.e. not eating breakfast nor snacking late). Any particular reason 24 hours helps so much more (other than skipping another meal)?

My first 10 lbs or so came off slowly and surely. I'd like to lose another 10 to drop below 200, then maintain. I'm noticing now, I'm much hungrier when it comes to lunch time and a few more mood swings than before (i.e. snickers your-not-you-when-you're-hungry). I'm not sure if that is because of increased activity in the summer or just getting closer to a good "natural" weight for me.

Side note: I've always been heavy for my size, but not "big". Most people are stunned to hear that I'm over 200 lbs as I generally "look" fit. So while I'm "supposed" to be 175 lbs, I don't think that is very realistic for my body type. I was 180lbs in college and a bean-pole. It just annoys me that BMI is always a simple height/weight ratio (yeah, its "easy"), but it never matched me very well, IMO.

This is me as well. I've got a pretty fit lower half, so I'm sure that leads to some of the weight, but most are shocked when I tell them my weight.

It's just one of the techniques I had read about and seemed like a good fit for me. The idea of the benefit of going 24 is that in the later hours of the fast, the body has gotten into the fat burning mode, so if I can go 24 instead of 20 there's 4 more hours where my body is burning fat due to my fast. In theory, that is. I'm no expert.

Usually it's easy for me, but then sometimes there's days where I'm just not going to make it to 24. Like yesterday was a fasting day but I only went 21 because chicken tenders were calling my name after work.

I used to. A little pinch of salt takes care of it. On a fast day, my stomach grumbles within 10 minutes of 10:30 am like clockwork. That’s my reminder to have a pinch of salt before getting a headache.

Ok, that is interesting... I wouldn't have thought of that one.

I've been toying with the idea of the 24 hour fast since you guys have brought it up. We eat supper early on Wednesdays, so if I skip lunch on Thursdays, I'd essentially have a 24 hour fast without impacting my family's meal times (yes, we do traditional sit-down meals as a family).

A friend of mine and I was talking about IF this weekend. He did a 4 day fast once. He said it was interesting, but he probably wouldn't do it again. He said it was interesting on how his body responded though. He drank a lot of PowerAid zero and was hungry once per day, but not as bad as he thought it would be. The first day was the worst. He said he was focused on the benefits of Autophagy in fighting cancer and other failing cell-type effects.

I agree. The first day is the worst. It seems to fit my family as well. I dont eat lunch and will go for a 2 mile walk instead. This helps keep me from thinking about it.

I had state darts this weekend and ate and drank poorly from wed-Sunday. Only put on half a pound. The other bonus is that my stomach just wont hold as much food. So when I had pizza I only ate 2 pieces instead of half or more.

I would suggest not breaking a 24 hour fast with spicy Thai food. It's not as good of an idea as it may seem.

Hmmm... Ironically, I was planning on eating spicy Thai food for lunch tomorrow (breaking my fast). But that will only be 16 hours, so I'm good, right?

I would suggest not breaking a 24 hour fast with spicy Thai food. It's not as good of an idea as it may seem.

Hmmm... Ironically, I was planning on eating spicy Thai food for lunch tomorrow (breaking my fast). But that will only be 16 hours, so I'm good, right?

For me I guess the thing is certain foods my guts don't quite know how to handle when breaking a fast. Perhaps I should try making breakfast food for dinner on fasting days.

Well, I made it 20 hours today in trying to hit a 24 hour fast. Unfortunately, I was off work today and it was cold and raining... so I was pretty much stuck inside.

Still counts!

One thing I've kept in mind while doing my fasting days is...if I'm hungry. I'll eat, but I just make sure I dont eat foolishly. If I need something small I'll get cheese and almonds, if I need something bigger ill get an unwich from JJs.

The biggest thing for me is I wanted to be more in control of my body and not always fall into a trap of eating junk. The only days I really make sure I fast for sure is when I have eaten poorly or plan on eating poorly.

Yes, I was pretty happy for making it 20 hours on a day without anything to do.

Normally, I'm decent on eating well (i.e. little to no junk food) as that is typically the way to buy food. But we had some left over chips from a party last weekend...I may have eaten a few. ;)

We are pretty traditional on eating home cooked meals. We will have candy in the house, but we made the habit (self and the kids) of only having one small item after supper. Keeping things in moderation - not denying the good stuff, but not indulging in it either.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.