Brewer Fanatic

Intermittent Fasting and Weight Loss

GAME05

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever try intermittent fasting? I realize it's sorta the in thing right now, but I've been reading some positive things about it. Though ultimately it probably goes a bit far for me.

Yes I was doing it before it had a name. I've found it very useful in weight loss. And of course you don't have to go to extreme on it, like anything else using in moderation or certain aspects of it are probably better than being extreme. Basically the simplest way to do is to just skip breakfast, it's really not that hard to do. I've never been a breakfast guy so that's been a staple for me for a long time.

But I've occasionally done longer ones on weekends around 24 hours or a bit more, usually aided by staying up late and then sleeping in. I found that once you get past the initial hunger crave it goes away and you can go several hours more. And many times I don't even get physically hungry again before I eat. It gets more mental at that point of knowing it's been a long time and you should eat, plus just the desire of wanting to eat something that tastes good.

That's interesting, thanks. I guess I'll have to start reading more about it. Skipping breakfast is the default for me--I have force myself to eat something in the morning.

Was hearing about it from the Thomas DeLauer youtube channel, but I don't know yet whether he's a reputable source or not. But one video on belly fat he said fasting is really good for that.

In general I'm just trying to fix my skinny-fat problem. Doing bro splits about 6x per week (even though full body is better for 40+) and eating well, but I've also been plateauing the past month or so.

I did the fasting while working out and lost a lot of weight...pretty quickly too. The issue I ran into was when I fell into old habits the weight came back quickly. Almost need to do the fasting and then find that happy medium. Beer with the boys was my kryptonite...led to late snacks and meals.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I found that a food diary is very helpful. There are free ones online that are much better than they used to be. Under Armour has one that has most every kind of food already in the database. And if you make your own via online recipe you can put in the link to it and the site figures out everything for you. Kind of amazing.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd never heard of the term until I started following Joe Thomas on twitter. Was a big part his weight loss after he retired. He talks about it a bit. He seems to find a happy medium on this and keto type stuff where if he's doing something fun, social, hanging out or everyone is eating whatever thing that he'll join in. But say it ends up being a huge BBQ type meal or watching the game with pizza, wings, beer with tons of calories, he just won't eat for like 24 hours after to balance it out. Or maybe even plan that beforehand as well. Considering you're not going to be hungry for a long time after along with sleep it's really not too hard. It was similar to what I was doing as well without knowing it was a thing.

Weight-wise, what I'm reading is fasting really boosts your HGH which is a big positive for fat burning, and the lack of meals means no insulin spikes. I was also reading that while most people do a 16/8 fast, if you're 40+ longer is better. I'll probably try it because it's at the very least not a health-negative. I just have to time it all out since I work shifts, especially so with timing workouts.

I've been eating really well and weightlifting regularly. It's the cocktails and the now-and-again light snacks that's doing it for me, but less than that and it hits the point of being so strict as to be untenable.

I'm also switching to monkfruit from aspartame. I drink 3L of that sugar-free Crystal Light stuff per day and all the aspartame is probably doing me no favors.

And thanks for the advice. "Guy who sounds smart on the internet" wasn't enough for me, so I appreciate the confirmations.

I had no idea what I've been doing for decades was called intermittent fasting until now. I started doing it in college for wrestling. I couldn't eat much and found it was way easier to sleep if I wasn't hungry so I used my 500 calories at night before bed. As time went on I just sort of got used to not eating during the day. To this day I rarely ever eat before 7pm. I had no idea there was any benefit to it other than not going to bed hungry. In fact I thought it was the opposite. That whole breakfast is the most important meal of the day thing.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I tried the fasting out today. Made it 21 hours. What really surprised me is I was hungry, obviously, but not desperately so that it was particularly difficult to go without. If I were asked to go another few hours I don't think it would have been a problem.

I tried the fasting out today. Made it 21 hours. What really surprised me is I was hungry, obviously, but not desperately so that it was particularly difficult to go without. If I were asked to go another few hours I don't think it would have been a problem.

Ok... I'll back this one up. I started my Intermittent Fasting at the beginning of May. Today, it got to 34 lbs. A long way to go (maybe another 40), but it works.

There are a few things for me that helped. First, an app called Fastic. Yes... I could probably "remember," but the app helps.

Next, although you can eat anything for the most part during the 8-hour eating phase, try to eat more keto-friendly foods.

Finally, drink the water. I am 51 and I have found out that during the fasting time, I require some more water. I don't know how much I drink during the day, but don't go to the bathroom as much as I thought I would.

One other thing -- I despise coffee. Instead of diet soda, I drink Spark from Advocare. Much healthier...

Ok... I'll back this one up. I started my Intermittent Fasting at the beginning of May. Today, it got to 34 lbs. A long way to go (maybe another 40), but it works.

There are a few things for me that helped. First, an app called Fastic. Yes... I could probably "remember," but the app helps.

Next, although you can eat anything for the most part during the 8-hour eating phase, try to eat more keto-friendly foods.

Finally, drink the water. I am 51 and I have found out that during the fasting time, I require some more water. I don't know how much I drink during the day, but don't go to the bathroom as much as I thought I would.

One other thing -- I despise coffee. Instead of diet soda, I drink Spark from Advocare. Much healthier...

I might have to take a deeper look at this. I've been looking for something while stuck working from home and lacking my normal once-per-week sports activities (volleyball, basketball, softball).

I might have to take a deeper look at this. I've been looking for something while stuck working from home and lacking my normal once-per-week sports activities (volleyball, basketball, softball).

It helps that my oldest daughter (staying with us while completing Pharmacy degree) and my wife are doing it with me. I don't know if I would be able to do it without doing it with them, but I am a wuss when it comes to will control at times.

I also take walks during the day making sure I hit the 10,000 step threshold.

Honestly, it was hard the first week to stay the course. After that, it has been easy. I went with my family to Red Robin to celebrate a birthday a few weeks ago and after some onion rings, I could only finish 1/2 of my burger. No lie -- my stomach wouldn't take any more. Before the "diet," it wouldn't be much for me to pound down the burger after a bunch of apps and a beer or two.

I don't know if anybody else has a testimony related to this diet, but it has worked for me. If you decide to embark on the journey, I hope it goes well.

Some results may vary ;)

Community Moderator
I'm of the belief that walking is the best form of exercise that is easily accessible to anyone. If your goal is to simply burn calories, walking is way easier than going to the gym or taking a fitness class. Since the work-from-home started I see a lot of people walking during the day while on conference calls.

I'm of the belief that walking is the best form of exercise that is easily accessible to anyone. If your goal is to simply burn calories, walking is way easier than going to the gym or taking a fitness class. Since the work-from-home started I see a lot of people walking during the day while on conference calls.

Agreed. I go on a 20 - 30 min walk every day for lunch. Not only have I discovered a ton of neat architecture in my neighborhood, I've lost about 6 pounds over the course of a month.

Two of my friends were working out together, both similar in size. One ran on a treadmill while the other made it incline and walked. The one that walked burned more calories than the one who ran. And it was easier on the joints.

I have always walked briskly 30 minutes a day outside when the weather permitted, and on my treadmill when it was crappy outside. Been doing it for years. My weight never really changed, just kind of stayed the same.

This summer, at the end of June, I stepped up my game. I started jogging a mile every other day(just a light jog, I am not a distance runner by any means), and rather than 30 minutes, I jumped up to an hour walk per day.

Twice a week, I started doing a half dozen 40 yard sprints. I guess it is kind of my own version of interval training. I take off one day a week from the exercise, usually mow the lawn on that day so I am still getting steps in, though I don't really count steps.

I also started eating a little better, more veggies, smaller portions, etc... I'm not depriving myself, but have really cut down on things like soda, sweets and fast food.

Since June 23rd, I have lost 15 pounds. First 10 was super easy, last 5 not as easy, but I am still pointing in the right direction... I wasn't really overweight at 5'11" and 190 lbs, but I was soft. lol

Dropping that 15 lbs, I feel so much better, and look way better, just thinner in my mid section and face most notably. Lots of my clothes I was wearing in the spring fit me a lot looser now. I don't have to replace my wardrobe, but another 5 lbs, and that might be the case. I don't feel that I need to drop anymore weight, but we'll see what happens.

That old 30 minute walk a day was good for me, but it just didn't seem to be doing anything, so I made a change, and it worked...

Edited by turborickey
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yeah, I try to get out and walk likewise. I just had a 1on1 with one of my team while walking outside. It slowed in the heat of summer, but I'm sure it will pick up now that its cooler, too. I've actually been able to maintain my weight through this WFH mode (even lost 1 pound from last year's checkup). I'm just looking to get rid of 10-15 lbs and mostly belly fat. That is where this interests me.

Yeah, I try to get out and walk likewise. I just had a 1on1 with one of my team while walking outside. It slowed in the heat of summer, but I'm sure it will pick up now that its cooler, too. I've actually been able to maintain my weight through this WFH mode (even lost 1 pound from last year's checkup). I'm just looking to get rid of 10-15 lbs and mostly belly fat. That is where this interests me.

You sound like me, that is exactly what I did, dropped 15 lbs mostly in the gut... lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator

Two of my friends were working out together, both similar in size. One ran on a treadmill while the other made it incline and walked. The one that walked burned more calories than the one who ran. And it was easier on the joints.

According to my Fitbit, a one-hour walk is around 400 calories burned and a one-hour run at a moderate pace is around 700. Not as much of a difference as one might think.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.