Brewer Fanatic

Corbin Burnes

markedman5
It's a shame that we weren't able to get a whole season this year. It would've been a more fun year had we seen this version of Burnes since the spring as opposed to later in the summer. I'm also curious as to how his numbers would end up looking over a full season as opposed to half a season.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is great for a team that had a history of not being able to produce pitchers, now having Woodruff and Burnes leading the rotation.

This is one of the reasons I think we need to take the universal view of our farm system as hot garbage (thanks Brett Anderson) with a grain of salt. I understand Burnes and Woodruff had some prospect notoriety but I think both have surpassed expectations of in terms of where their true upside resides.

It is great for a team that had a history of not being able to produce pitchers, now having Woodruff and Burnes leading the rotation.

This is one of the reasons I think we need to take the universal view of our farm system as hot garbage (thanks Brett Anderson) with a grain of salt. I understand Burnes and Woodruff had some prospect notoriety but I think both have surpassed expectations of in terms of where their true upside resides.

I'm sure the Braves would love to have Woodruff and Burnes in their rotation, rather than the hot garbage their vaunted and overly-hyped minor league system has produced.

I'm sure the Braves would love to have Woodruff and Burnes in their rotation, rather than the hot garbage their vaunted and overly-hyped minor league system has produced.

Like Max Fried, Mike Soroka and Ian Anderson? I would gladly take that hot garbage off their hands.

Toussaint has been a disappointment, but you're going to have some of those in any system both as position players and pitchers. I'm fairly certain Orlando Arcia was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball at one time.

Like Max Fried, Mike Soroka and Ian Anderson? I would gladly take that hot garbage off their hands.

Toussaint has been a disappointment, but you're going to have some of those in any system both as position players and pitchers. I'm fairly certain Orlando Arcia was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball at one time.

They got Fried in a terrible deal with the Padres for Justin Upton. He was the 7th overall selection. Good trade for the Braves, but I don't know if they deserve the credit for developing a guy who was already a blue-chipper. Soroka and Anderson are solid prospects (as 1st round pitchers should be), but they are FAR from the only pitchers that system has had that have been hyped up over the years (Sean Newcomb, Julio Teheran, Kyle Wright, Luiz Gohara, Kolby Allard ... others as well).

They got Fried in a terrible deal with the Padres for Justin Upton. He was the 7th overall selection. Good trade for the Braves, but I don't know if they deserve the credit for developing a guy who was already a blue-chipper.

They got him when he was in A ball. Of course they deserve credit.

They got Fried in a terrible deal with the Padres for Justin Upton. He was the 7th overall selection. Good trade for the Braves, but I don't know if they deserve the credit for developing a guy who was already a blue-chipper.

They got him when he was in A ball. Of course they deserve credit.

They get credit for not (yet) messing up a guy who was considered a can't-miss pitching prospect. Gotcha.

They get credit for not (yet) messing up a guy who was considered a can't-miss pitching prospect. Gotcha.

There's no such thing as a can't miss prospect. If there was the Braves would have a rotation full of at minimum #3 starters. The Brewers would have Corey Ray in the outfield and they wouldn't have made the trade for Urias because Arcia would have shortstop locked down.

There's no such thing as a can't miss prospect. If there was the Braves would have a rotation full of at minimum #3 starters. The Brewers would have Corey Ray in the outfield and they wouldn't have made the trade for Urias because Arcia would have shortstop locked down.

That is true, but when a pitcher is drafted #7 overall, it would be considered a major failure if he were to not develop into an upper-rotation starter. I know, plenty have flamed out over the years. But unless Fried develops into a #2-#1-type, it's going to be very hard for him to meet expectations.

That is true, but when a pitcher is drafted #7 overall, it would be considered a major failure if he were to not develop into an upper-rotation starter. I know, plenty have flamed out over the years. But unless Fried develops into a #2-#1-type, it's going to be very hard for him to meet expectations.

Ian Anderson

Riley Pint

A.J. Puk

Braxton Garrett

Dillon Tate

Tyler Jay

Brady Aiken

Tyler Kolek

Carlos Rodon

Aaron Nola

Mark Appel

Jon Gray

Kohl Stewart

Trey Ball

Kevin Gausman

Kyle Zimmer

Max Fried

Gerrit Cole

Danny Hultzen

Trevor Bauer

Dylan Bundy

Archie Bradley

Jameson Taillon

Drew Pomeranz

Barret Loux

Matt Harvey

Stephen Strasburg

Matt Hobgood

Zack Wheeler

Mike Minor

Brian Matusz

David Price

Daniel Moskos

Ross Detwiler

Those are pitchers drafted between 1 and 7 between 2007 and 2016. How many of them turned into "upper-rotation starters?"

Ian Anderson

Riley Pint

A.J. Puk

Braxton Garrett

Dillon Tate

Tyler Jay

Brady Aiken

Tyler Kolek

Carlos Rodon

Aaron Nola

Mark Appel

Jon Gray

Kohl Stewart

Trey Ball

Kevin Gausman

Kyle Zimmer

Max Fried

Gerrit Cole

Danny Hultzen

Trevor Bauer

Dylan Bundy

Archie Bradley

Jameson Taillon

Drew Pomeranz

Barret Loux

Matt Harvey

Stephen Strasburg

Matt Hobgood

Zack Wheeler

Mike Minor

Brian Matusz

David Price

Daniel Moskos

Ross Detwiler

Those are pitchers drafted between 1 and 7 between 2007 and 2016. How many of them turned into "upper-rotation starters?"

Not as many as probably should have. And those who haven't, for the most part, are considered major disappointments. A few have remade themselves as relievers and have managed to recoup some value. I'd say of all those guys, the ones who have managed to meet expectations of being that high of a pick include Price, Minor (barely--he's another Braves pitcher that hasn't lived up to expectations), Wheeler, Strasburg, Harvey (for a little while at least), Bauer, Cole and Nola. Of course the jury is still out on several of those guys as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I apologize if this was already mentioned...

Perhaps his Lasik surgery was a major contributor, too...

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2020/02/15/no-goggles-brewers-pitcher-corbin-burnes-who-had-lasik-surgery/4760317002/

I was wondering what happened to his glasses....

[sarcasm]But its time to trade him. He gave up a run today... :( :rolleyes :tongue[/sarcasm]

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2020/02/15/no-goggles-brewers-pitcher-corbin-burnes-who-had-lasik-surgery/4760317002/

[sarcasm]But its time to trade him. He gave up a run today... :( :rolleyes :tongue[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]Nah, who would even take a scrub like him? Clearly we have no choice but to DFA him[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]Nah, who would even take a scrub like him? Clearly we have no choice but to DFA him[/sarcasm]

I was talking to a friend yesterday and we were trying to come up with an example in recent memory of someone who went from being one of the 'worst' pitchers to one of the best over the course of 1 year like this. Can anyone think of any?

In 2000 Halladay posted a 10.64 ERA (48 ERA+) in 67 IP then followed it up with a 3.16 ERA (145 ERA+) over 105 IP in 2001.

Almost 100 points of ERA+ is a pretty crazy swing, but still pales in comparison to Burnes going from a 50 ERA+ last year to a 258 ERA+ so far this year.

I know Fangraph doesn't have tonight's performance into Burnes' stats yet ( As of this post) but before this start, he wasn't considered a qualified pitcher, if there is ever such a thing in this season.

FYI in the "split" menu on the Fangraphs leaderboards you can select "Live Stats - Full Season" and it'll show up to date stats, usually updated within a few minutes of the event actually happening. Similarly, going to a player profile during a game or in the evening after one there'll be a "live stats" section above the usual stats that'll show todays stats and the new totals.

Archived