Brewer Fanatic

Brewers DFA Smoak; Get Vogelbach

Eye Black
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per Rosenthal: Brewers DFA Smoak, get Vogelbach, source tells The Athletic.

What am I missing? Trying to save on the $1M buyout?

Just looking at stats Vogelbach is nothing special. Okay seasons in the minors, but I don't think there was anything special stats-wise as it is the PCL.

Vogelbach is another very low average, big whiff, swing for the fences on every pitch guy. I guess this is another one of Stearns throw-crap-against-the-wall type moves. Not much lost with Smoak. I guess they really don't think much of Healy either if he wasn't brought up. Is that 5 journeymen types Stearns has DFA'd so far?

Per Rosenthal: Brewers DFA Smoak, get Vogelbach, source tells The Athletic.

What am I missing? Trying to save on the $1M buyout?

Just looking at stats Vogelbach is nothing special. Okay seasons in the minors, but I don't think there was anything special stats-wise as it is the PCL.

Vogelbach is another very low average, big whiff, swing for the fences on every pitch guy. I guess this is another one of Stearns throw-crap-against-the-wall type moves. Not much lost with Smoak. I guess they really don't think much of Healy either if he wasn't brought up. Is that 5 journeymen types Stearns has DFA'd so far?

I honestly forgot Healy was even Brewer property.

Are we back to the 1990's rosters of rejects, castoffs, over the hill vets and low level prospects. Not saying Smoak is the answer to our problems, but Voglebach has been horrible other than a hot streak early last year. I remember when I wanted an improvement on Overbay. Would love to have a guy like that now.

Why don't fans understand the smallest market in MLB has to take fliers on a group of players every year? Many don't work out, dfa, move on to the next.

This is the price for making a run twice in recent years, including one year where they gave away a ton of assets. Yet, here we are, roster filled with a lot of mediocrity and they're still right there in the hunt.

I don't think Vogelbach is any great upgrade over Smoak, and it is a definite downgrade defensively...

BUT....

I would much rather give opportunities/ABs to hitters that are nearing the peak of their theoretical aging curve than those approaching their mid-30s trying to scratch out one more productive season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I thought Smoak was OK. Clearly they wanted to get someone younger in there to see what he can do. I have been harking for a while that there is no long term plan at the corner IF's. This really doesn't fix it.

I mean Justin Smoak was one of the worst baseball players I've ever seen put on a Brewer uniform, he couldn't hit, run, or play any defense, but other than that, yeah he was alright.

Are we back to the 1990's rosters of rejects, castoffs, over the hill vets and low level prospects. Not saying Smoak is the answer to our problems, but Voglebach has been horrible other than a hot streak early last year. I remember when I wanted an improvement on Overbay. Would love to have a guy like that now.

Stearns & company have a 361-324 record so far, good for a .527 winning percentage.

From 1990-99 the Brewers posted a 742-811 record, "good" for a .478 winning percentage.

I'd say his rosters have been considerably better than what the Brewers put together in the 1990's.

Isn't Ryon Healy a better hitter than Vogelbach? Granted he hits RH, but his career numbers are better.

Think about it, Stearns basically got nothing in return for Aguilar, who's 20 RBI this year would be 2nd on the Brewers. He lets Thames go. He signs Smoak who they give basically 6 weeks and now they've signed a guy who's hit about 100 points less than his weight for his career.

Isn't Ryon Healy a better hitter than Vogelbach? Granted he hits RH, but his career numbers are better.

Think about it, Stearns basically got nothing in return for Aguilar, who's 20 RBI this year would be 2nd on the Brewers. He lets Thames go. He signs Smoak who they give basically 6 weeks and now they've signed a guy who's hit about 100 points less than his weight for his career.

Jake Faria dude. He's still at the Alternate Training site.

As for Vogelbach, he didn't hit well at Safeco: .186/.309/.379. He has been decent on the road: .204/.339/.412

Maybe there's some juice in there to be unlocked, maybe not. Best find out in the wacky 2020 season before adding First Base to the shopping list for 2021.

Whatever. I'm thinking/speculating that Smoak was looking to go the way of Cain (or wasn't a good fit in the clubhouse) so the Brewers just cut bait. Smoak was worthless against lefties anyway, so grab a lefty who is better or as good as SMoak from that side. Meh.

When you shop at the dollar store you aren't exactly mining for diamonds. Vogelbach is probably no worse than Smoak offensively but he really needs to DH only. I guess Gyorko will play first full time but that would mean Sogard plays nearly every day.

Community Moderator

Thank goodness Smoak is gone, I couldn't stand watching him strike out or bounce into the shift.

Much more fun to watch Vogey strike out or bounce into the shift, and with any luck he'll accidentally make good contact and hit a ball completely out of the Am Fam Clamshell.

Archived