Brewer Fanatic

Brewers DFA Smoak; Get Vogelbach

Eye Black

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Pretty sure Vogelbach was in one of my softball leagues back in the day.

AKmiMAt.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Per Rosenthal: Brewers DFA Smoak, get Vogelbach, source tells The Athletic.

What am I missing? Trying to save on the $1M buyout?

Just looking at stats Vogelbach is nothing special. Okay seasons in the minors, but I don't think there was anything special stats-wise as it is the PCL.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He’s been worse then Smoak this season........

Vogelbach has been worse than most baseball players for most of his career.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Per Rosenthal: Brewers DFA Smoak, get Vogelbach, source tells The Athletic.

What am I missing? Trying to save on the $1M buyout?

Just looking at stats Vogelbach is nothing special. Okay seasons in the minors, but I don't think there was anything special stats-wise as it is the PCL.

Pretty sure if no one takes on Smoak we have to pay that. Releasing him would effectively be declining the option.

But... But first base is such an easy position to find competent bats :rolleyes I don’t like Smoak at all, but this move makes no sense. The only reason I could understand it is if they want someone else to pick him up so we don’t need to pay the buyout (I think?). Which would then be a valid reason to let him go. Not sure if that’s how it works or not though.

If you drop an All-Star first baseman, you better pick up an All-Star to replace him! Vogelbach is now in contention with Matt Stairs as Brewer who looks like he should be dominating a slo-pitch league.

As a fan, I am often guilty of "DFA this guy!" But there has to be a corresponding move, doesn't there? My dislike of Smoak had nothing to do with the fact that Vogelbach was sitting out there on waivers. Now that Smoak is gone, I'm thinking, they did it for this?

At least David Stearns has been pretty quick to admit his mistakes this year and move on. First Morrison, then Brock Holt and Justin Grimm and now Smoak. Sometimes you catch a little lightning in a bottle with these older vet reclamation projects, and sometimes you don't. They've done reasonably well with Gyorko, Brett Anderson and Phelps. Needed to hit on more of those guys to be a contender this year, though.

Vogelbach was an All-Star LAST YEAR?

Yes. His first month was fantastic (1.195 OPS), and his first half overall was much, much better than his second half.

Here were his 1st half/2nd half splits in 2019:

[pre]Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

1st Half 85 76 341 277 49 66 11 0 21 51 0 61 79 .238 .375 .505 .881

2nd Half 59 53 217 185 24 30 6 0 9 25 0 31 70 .162 .286 .341 .626[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived