Brewer Fanatic

Devin Williams Appreciation Thread (Latest- NL Rookie of the Year)

homer
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has there ever been a more dominant 25 inning stretch in relief than what Devin Williams has done this season? I’m sure there’s a couple similar to it, but he’s been absolutely filthy!

Hader was absolutely filthy in July and August of last year and the stats between that are remarkably similar.

Hader July/Aug 2019:

19 G 26 Inn 6 H 2R 2 ER 8 BB 46K 0.54 WHIP

Williams 2020:

21 G 25 inn 6 H 4R 1ER 9 BB 52K 0.60 WHIP

Just No. He's had a TJ. He's producing spin rates on this elite Changeup with a motion that can't be replicated. Just enjoy the next 6 seasons with hopefully all of them played. If he continues being elite, you get a great haul for him and at minimum(should it exist) get to a QO and comp pick. The team's payroll limits just can't commit 10+mil to one RP vs the prospect haul from trading him. Your offer has 3 years of them.

BTW, I am supremely happy that he is succeeding after the long road post-draft. On top of that he was the Brewer's 1st pick that season. So to see one turn out especially in the 2nd round is exceptional. Pretty amazing Hader's B2B RP of the year will be lost to another Brewer. Homegrown at that.

Why can't his motion be replicated? Seems that's what makes him so effective. He's got what appears to be a clean delivery and the same delivery for the change and the FB.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Thing to watch with Cronenworth is his AVG and OPS on his stat line. He currently has a cool .303 average and an OPS just south of .900. If he has a hot week I think he wins it, however if he continues to send his numbers south I don’t think he will. He has steadily struggled this month and it doesn’t exactly look good.

Just No. He's had a TJ. He's producing spin rates on this elite Changeup with a motion that can't be replicated. Just enjoy the next 6 seasons with hopefully all of them played. If he continues being elite, you get a great haul for him and at minimum(should it exist) get to a QO and comp pick. The team's payroll limits just can't commit 10+mil to one RP vs the prospect haul from trading him. Your offer has 3 years of them.

BTW, I am supremely happy that he is succeeding after the long road post-draft. On top of that he was the Brewer's 1st pick that season. So to see one turn out especially in the 2nd round is exceptional. Pretty amazing Hader's B2B RP of the year will be lost to another Brewer. Homegrown at that.

Why can't his motion be replicated? Seems that's what makes him so effective. He's got what appears to be a clean delivery and the same delivery for the change and the FB.

It sounds like its not his motion but rather his grip and wrist snap on release that other pitchers can't replicate.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The comments :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 3 weeks later...
The MLBPA’s National League Rookie of the Year finalists were announced: Alec Bohm, Jake Cronenworth, and Devin Williams

The MLBPA Players Choice awards are voted on by the players. The winner will be announced October 22nd.

I think Cronenworth wins it. Probably will go Cronenworth, Bohm and then Williams. It is hard for a reliever to win these types of awards.

I was inferring to that his motion is something other pitchers can't replicate. If others can't do it, it's a motion that the body will likely breakdown to. You know, something like a normal motion and he could pitch til his late 30's, this motion however shortens his pitching lifespan by a few years. He just recently turned 26. So just the 6years of control would take him to age 31/32 if postseason. It's a good age on 2 things, one, he could be a huge trade chip that final season/trade deadline or two, you offer him whatever the equivalent to current QO is and get a draft pick in return.

I just also have to worry that the D-Williams Change-up isn't reliable for 6 years of use. What happens when his velocity reduces by 3-5MPH on the FB? FG has his FB at 96.5 and change up at 84.7. Slower the pitch with that spin a few MPH lower has to be hitting the dirt. a 92MPH FB to set up that change is potentially above the zone now, or just sitting on a tee to be crushed. Sure location can beat a lot of that, but you have to think there's going to be some periods of struggle when he has to adjust to the velocity changes.

I was inferring to that his motion is something other pitchers can't replicate. If others can't do it, it's a motion that the body will likely breakdown to. You know, something like a normal motion and he could pitch til his late 30's, this motion however shortens his pitching lifespan by a few years. He just recently turned 26. So just the 6years of control would take him to age 31/32 if postseason. It's a good age on 2 things, one, he could be a huge trade chip that final season/trade deadline or two, you offer him whatever the equivalent to current QO is and get a draft pick in return.

I just also have to worry that the D-Williams Change-up isn't reliable for 6 years of use. What happens when his velocity reduces by 3-5MPH on the FB? FG has his FB at 96.5 and change up at 84.7. Slower the pitch with that spin a few MPH lower has to be hitting the dirt. a 92MPH FB to set up that change is potentially above the zone now, or just sitting on a tee to be crushed. Sure location can beat a lot of that, but you have to think there's going to be some periods of struggle when he has to adjust to the velocity changes.

So it's not repeatable because it's so good that nobody else can do it?

And if his Fastball velocity dips, I don't think it'll matter with him. He's got an upper 90's fastball and he still throws that freakish Change more than the FB.

That doesn't mean I think he should be extended after 25 innings, so I don't disagree with your conclusion, I'm just not sure that I agree with how you get there(not that it really matters).

Has everyone given up on Williams as a starter? I know he gets by relieving almost exclusively with two outstanding pitches, but I'm sure he could be effective getting through lineups 2-3 times mixing in a slider or a cutter. Top starters have more value than top relievers, and generally last longer.

Has everyone given up on Williams as a starter? I know he gets by relieving almost exclusively with two outstanding pitches, but I'm sure he could be effective getting through lineups 2-3 times mixing in a slider or a cutter. Top starters have more value than top relievers, and generally last longer.

I was wondering that myself during the year. I took the fact that he was seldom used for multiple innings as an answer. If he could throw 90-100 pitches every 5 days, would he really even need a 3rd pitch? Sheets was pretty successful when healthy relying mainly on two pitches.

Devin's career high in IP professionally was 97 back in 2016.

In the three seasons since TJ he has thrown 34, 70 & 27 innings.

I don't think he has the stamina built up to start, even 26 GS @ 5 IP each would be as many innings as he's thrown in the last three years combined, a 100+ IP jump from last year alone, almost double his post-TJ season high & a 33 IP increase over his career high from four years (& one UCL) ago.

Devin's career high in IP professionally was 97 back in 2016.

In the three seasons since TJ he has thrown 34, 70 & 27 innings.

I don't think he has the stamina built up to start, even 26 GS @ 5 IP each would be as many innings as he's thrown in the last three years combined, a 100+ IP jump from last year alone, almost double his post-TJ season high & a 33 IP increase over his career high from four years (& one UCL) ago.

I'm not arguing for or against(it seems as though the Brewers have made that decision), but would the TJ surgery really be a reason why? Once you've had it done, it's not like you're permantely weakened by it.

I would think he'd be able to build his arm strength...enough at least that he could throw ~150 innings next year, especially if he could be skipped, but it all kinda seems moot as the Brewers seem to have determined both he and Rasmussen are relievers moving forward, not starters.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived