Brewer Fanatic

Devin Williams Appreciation Thread (Latest- NL Rookie of the Year)

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

14 IP, 29K's, 6 BB

I could watch him throw changeups all day long (which look kind of like a screwball to me)

ZHSSQ8I.png

https://www.mlb.com/news/devin-williams-thrives-in-setup-role-in-brewers-win

Williams developed his changeup as a kid in St. Louis when he tried to make friends miss while playing catch, just to mess with them. The pitch feels so unnatural, Suter said, as to be nearly impossible to replicate. And yet, Williams has executed it again and again -- 122 times this season, according to Statcast -- and has yet to give up a hit on the pitch.

Including four of the six batters Williams faced Monday, he has ended 33 plate appearances with a changeup. Opponents are 0-for-31 with 21 strikeouts in those instances.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's the new K-Rod. Only much easier to root for without the off the field baggage, and without the need for Doug Melvin to trade and re-sign him every couple of months.

If he turns out to have a K-Rod esque career, then that 2013 draft would look a lot better.

Perhaps he can be the next closer if Hader gets traded in the offseason?

Devin Williams is likely going to help making trading Hader easier...which I do think is somewhat possible/probable this offseason.

Don’t see any chance of a return to starting for him.

Agreed on all points. The emergence of Williams as a viable replacement for a tiny portion of the cost will make the Hader rumor mill the most interesting part of the off season.

A lockdown bullpen has been a key reason the Brewers have exceeded their projections every year & have beaten their pythag by the largest margin of any team in MLB since Stearns & company arrived.

I still don't think Hader is going anywhere any time soon.

As long as the Brewers keep developing some of their non-prospects into MLB contributors, I'm not really all that concerned with external rankings of their farm system.

Something else to keep in mind is that Devin was a 2nd round pick in 2013 & is just now making an impact seven years later.

Another example of why it's unrealistic for us to have a caché of MLB ready prospects when Stearns & company have only been here four years.

Much too early to consider it, but if he’s dominant in 2021, do you even consider approaching him with a contract extension after 2021 with 5 years remaining of club control still remaining? Offer like a 7 year deal, the last two years are club options, but he locks in money for life with the guaranteed 5 years. Just something to consider...

If he is Haderesque again in 2021, I think he would have a hard time turning down a deal like this...

2022- $2 million

2023- $3 million

2024- $5 million

2025- $7 million

2026- $10 million

2027- $11 million club option

2028- $12 million club option

He guarantees himself $27 million as a reliever and can earn up to $50 million.

What was Freddy's contract status when he got his extension?

Edit: Here it is:

Under the deal, Peralta, 23, would bypass all three seasons of arbitration-eligibility, which he wouldn't hit for another two seasons, and could be locked up through his first two seasons of free agency, making for a very team-friendly contract.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Now with the fastball and change up overlaid. This is just unfair for the hitters. The change up and fastball look exactly the same until it is way to late for a hitter to make an adjustment if it is a fastball and will just look goofy if it is a change up.

Now with the fastball and change up overlaid. This is just unfair for the hitters. The change up and fastball look exactly the same until it is way to late for a hitter to make an adjustment if it is a fastball and will just look goofy if it is a change up.

Clicked the link watched the video and was like wheres the overlay?...oooooh.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Clicked the link watched the video and was like wheres the overlay?...oooooh.

Yeah the ball kinda blends in with the catcher's wrist band.

Much too early to consider it, but if he’s dominant in 2021, do you even consider approaching him with a contract extension after 2021 with 5 years remaining of club control still remaining? Offer like a 7 year deal, the last two years are club options, but he locks in money for life with the guaranteed 5 years. Just something to consider...

If he is Haderesque again in 2021, I think he would have a hard time turning down a deal like this...

2022- $2 million

2023- $3 million

2024- $5 million

2025- $7 million

2026- $10 million

2027- $11 million club option

2028- $12 million club option

He guarantees himself $27 million as a reliever and can earn up to $50 million.

Just No. He's had a TJ. He's producing spin rates on this elite Changeup with a motion that can't be replicated. Just enjoy the next 6 seasons with hopefully all of them played. If he continues being elite, you get a great haul for him and at minimum(should it exist) get to a QO and comp pick. The team's payroll limits just can't commit 10+mil to one RP vs the prospect haul from trading him. Your offer has 3 years of them.

BTW, I am supremely happy that he is succeeding after the long road post-draft. On top of that he was the Brewer's 1st pick that season. So to see one turn out especially in the 2nd round is exceptional. Pretty amazing Hader's B2B RP of the year will be lost to another Brewer. Homegrown at that.

It is quite remarkable that he emerged as a lock down reliever in the majors with less than 4 innings above AAA, and less than 140 total innings after having TJ surgery in 2016. Even if his career as a player doesn't last a decade, the ability to hone his skill in throwing the change up when not even pitching in games all that much indicates he understands the mechanics of throwing a baseball and would probably make him a great pitching instructor.

He is also a good reason not to give up on talent too early. After floundering for several years in the minors, many (myself included) thought he was a bust. Quite a turn-around for the young man!

Yup, this exactly.

He ranked #16 on the BF.Net Top 25 before this very season (with only Mr Southpaw having him in the Top 10 at #7).

A great of example of why prospect rankings, while informative with proper context, are far from gospel.

He is also a good reason not to give up on talent too early. After floundering for several years in the minors, many (myself included) thought he was a bust. Quite a turn-around for the young man!

Yup, this exactly.

He ranked #16 on the BF.Net Top 25 before this very season (with only Mr Southpaw having him in the Top 10 at #7).

A great of example of why prospect rankings, while informative with proper context, are far from gospel.

That #16 was a big come-back for him. Mid-2017 (while recovering from injury), he wasn't in our top-57 (i.e. he received zero top 25 votes).

• 3 weeks later...

NL ROY candidates appear to be Jake Cronenworth, Devin Williams, Dustin May, and Kwang-Hyun Kim.

Cronenworth appeared to have it locked up, but he has struggled a bit in the month of September.

Here are Cronenworth’s current splits by month...

50363336732_e2dba5e3eb_b.jpg

He may still have plenty in the overall body of work to win it, but he’s at least cracked the door for others to have a chance.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

NL ROY candidates appear to be Jake Cronenworth, Devin Williams, Dustin May, and Kwang-Hyun Kim.

Yeah, Devin has definitely had a more remarkable season as arguably the best reliever in baseball, where Cronenworth has kind of been more of an under the radar guy on a team of young breakout stars. I know team success doesn't typically play into ROY voting, but with SD being such a story this year will be interesting to see if that sways voters at all.

May is at 1.1 bWAR, FanGraphs list his teammate Gonsolin on the rookie leaderboards & he's at 1.2 fWAR/1.3 bWAR.

Kim has that shiny 1.59 ERA.

Sixto Sanchez's last start was kind of a dud, but he's at 1.5 bWAR & the Marlins are a surprise team so I'd imagine he gets some votes too.

Archived