Brewer Fanatic

Mike Clevinger to Padres

Eye Black

This seems like kind of a crappy return for the Indians. If I were them I would have much preferred quality over quantity when dealing from their extreme depth at SP. Clev is controlled through 2022, so to not get a premium name is questionable. Eh who am I kidding they will probably develop Quantrill into an ace knowing Cleveland.

This seems like kind of a crappy return for the Indians. If I were them I would have much preferred quality over quantity when dealing from their extreme depth at SP. Clev is controlled through 2022, so to not get a premium name is questionable.

Weren't there rumors that many in the organization had an issue with Clevenger after the issue the other week? Perhaps they were having a hard time finding suitors but needed him out of the organization.

This seems like kind of a crappy return for the Indians. If I were them I would have much preferred quality over quantity when dealing from their extreme depth at SP. Clev is controlled through 2022, so to not get a premium name is questionable.

I think you are underestimating how good that Padres system actually is. Arias, Cantillo and Miller would all be top 5 prospects in the Brewers' system, and Arias would likely be #1. Naylor is a 23-year-old former Top 100 guy, and Quantrill is a 25-year-old former Top 100 guy. Hedges is a great defender and solid backup C.

That is underwhelming. I wonder if so many playoff spots means teams are less willing to give up the farm to get in. This isn't a year were just making the playoffs is an accomplishment. That leaves teams looking to win it all. I just don't think many will risk much for a pennant that will inevitably come with an asterisk.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It certainly does look like the Indians went more for quantity instead of demanding a premium player in return. I don't mean that as a slight to the Indians by any means, they got some talented players. It looks like a combination of players that have lost some of their previous pedigree (Quantrill, Naylor), and others that could/should rise up prospect rankings in the future (Arias, Cantillo).
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the Indians were boxed into a corner here. A lot of the players were pretty pissed at clevenger after the incident a few weeks ago, and they're probably weren't a lot of options. this was probably one of those situations where they decided to take the best to deal that was offered.

I know Brewers aren't exactly in go for it mode this season. But he still had 2 years left after this and is cost controlled in arby. Wouldn't have been a bad move to get a guy with this talent at a reasonable cost (if you guys are correct in saying the package is underwhelming). But, I know we still might not have enough in our weak system and that SD likely could've just kept upping until they did get him.

Kinda feel for Cleveland fans, the pitching arms and talent they've had come through and now basically just giving up. Too bad they didn't get that WS instead of the Cubs

I know Brewers aren't exactly in go for it mode this season. But he still had 2 years left after this and is cost controlled in arby. Wouldn't have been a bad move to get a guy with this talent at a reasonable cost (if you guys are correct in saying the package is underwhelming). But, I know we still might not have enough in our weak system and that SD likely could've just kept upping until they did get him.

Kinda feel for Cleveland fans, the pitching arms and talent they've had come through and now basically just giving up. Too bad they didn't get that WS instead of the Cubs

The Indians have options to replace Clevinger. He actually was not pitching amazing this year. Tristan Mckenzie will likely take some starts and could put up very similar numbers

The Indians have options to replace Clevinger. He actually was not pitching amazing this year. Tristan Mckenzie will likely take some starts and could put up very similar numbers

It's been like 3 games. He's good and has been for a few years. Sure they have guys to replace, but why 1 when you can have 2. So take the current guys they have like you said, then tack on Bauer, Kluber, Carrasco. Think of all those arms plus Lindor and some hitters. That's a heck of a lot of talent to have not won, that's what I mean by feeling bad a bit.

As the boards Tribe fan I feel I have to chime in.

While I am not thrilled with the return for the Tribe there are some points to consider:

Hand has a team option for 2021... If Tribe does not pick it up, another bullpen arm is needed. Enter Cal Q to go along with the return of Clase.. Check, check.

-----------------------------------

Carlos Santana has a team option for 2021.... If Tribe does not pick it up or figure way to retain Carlos at reduced cost, option at 1B is needed.

Option 1: Bobby Bradley. He makes Jesus Aquilar look like Rod Carew (selective at the plate & good batting average).. Next.

Option 2: Jake Bauers. Looks the part, has yet to perform consistently. Next..

Enter Josh Naylor. We shall see & he MIGHT help out in OF this season. Point to remember: Josh's younger brother was Round 1 pick by Tribe in 2018 (Bo Naylor). Added bonus - it gets Domingo Santana off the team & out of the Outfield. Both are pluses.

------------------------------------

Sandy Leon has real limited offensive potential and D while nice is not on par with Roberto Perez. He is also a FA after the season. Best Tribe C prospect is Bo Naylor & he would have been at High A in 2020. Backup / bridge C needed. Enter Austin Hedges. Check.

----------------------------------

3 more good prospects (a SS, a MIF & a LHP) & none are due for Rule 5 until Dec 2021. These guys could free up other Tribe prospects for deals after the season to get needed pieces.

----------------------------------

Even without Clevinger the Tribe is in good shape to make 2020 playoffs. This deal started to address needs now & for next few years.

While many will dislike the comparison, following the St. Louis Cardinal method & applying it in the AL Central is not a bad route to go..

Archived