Brewer Fanatic

2020-08-27, Game #2: Reds (Miley) at Brewers (Lindblom) [Brewers lose, 6-0]

Eye Black
If a team comes to the table offering a couple cornerstone-type young offensive players for Hader, you gotta listen. Can't go into 2021 filling holes with Sogard types again.

Speaking of Hader, it’s sort of incredible that he hasn’t even thrown 10 innings yet this year. If this was a 162-game season he would be on pace to throw less than 50 innings. The past two years he’s thrown 81.1 IP and 75.2 IP.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seat is not hot by any means, but he's under the microscope for 2021.

Not at all hot. But his offensive signings have been done for awhile and we are supposed to accept him as genius. Been a pretty atrocious offseason and that includes Yelich extension.

There is no GM in baseball that wouldn't have ran to the table to sign Yelich to the extension he signed. Scuffling for 30 games in the wierdest season in MLB history isn't going to change that.

Of course. My point is he surrounded him with players on offense that are done. Like TT did on Packers D with Rodgers in his prime. Thames and Moose would have cost exactly how much more than Smoak and Sogard?

The problem for me is a season with no fans doesn't give you much hope that they are going to out and improve the product. We see they went cheap coming off huge years at the gate. I would sell Hader to the highest bidder but I don't trust Stearns that they are going to make the right picks on who to get back. Not terrible but not good is the trip to no mans land that this team seems to be headed down.

If a team comes to the table offering a couple cornerstone-type young offensive players for Hader, you gotta listen. Can't go into 2021 filling holes with Sogard types again.

Speaking of Hader, it’s sort of incredible that he hasn’t even thrown 10 innings yet this year. If this was a 162-game season he would be on pace to throw less than 50 innings. The past two years he’s thrown 81.1 IP and 75.2 IP.

If they are going to use him as exclusively a one-inning 9th inning guy, it's time to sell.

I’m going to say it one more time, and then I’ll move on (for tonight). Luis Urias should be leading off against LHPs. It’s one thing he’s really good at, yet he only got one at bat against Miley tonight because he was buried at the bottom of the lineup.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Of course. My point is he surrounded him with players on offense that are done. Like TT did on Packers D with Rodgers in his prime. Thames and Moose would have cost exactly how much more than Smoak and Sogard?

Well, Thames is terrible .... like substantially worse than Smoak this year. I don't get why so many Brewer fans miss the guy. He was average for a couple years here, and had some nice moments, but dropping him was no loss at all.

ANd Moose signed a monster deal with the Reds.

Well, Thames is terrible .... like substantially worse than Smoak this year. I don't get why so many Brewer fans miss the guy. He was average for a couple years here, and had some nice moments, but dropping him was no loss at all.

Moose hasn't been good either. They're names. So for most fans that would've meant Steans was doing his job better.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why did they pinch run for Pina earlier? He isn't injured is he?

He may be. He was gimpy going off the field. Jammed his leg going back into the bag after Miley balked on a pickoff attempt.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thames has a -.0.2 WAR and 55 OPS+ this year

Smoak has a -0.3 WAR and 88 OPS+ this year

Smoak has been the better hitter, but both have been equally worthless in different ways. I don't miss Thames, but Smoak hasn't been substantially better.

Smoak has been the better hitter, but both have been equally worthless in different ways. I don't miss Thames, but Smoak hasn't been substantially better.

And Smoak is substantially cheaper than Thames's option would have been this year.

Could be worse. The Reds are paying Moustakas $12M for 0.0 WAR...

... and Votto $25M for -0.8 bWAR.

Thanks for making me feel better! :)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That Votto deal makes me laugh every time we play the Reds.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Just out of curiosity what are we paying Braun this year?

Just out of curiosity what are we paying Braun this year?

$17 million .... for -0.4 WAR

Archived