Brewer Fanatic

Brewers game postponed. Discuss here - don't go overboard

TURBO

...in these politically correct times, we are not allowed to discuss the fact that the game was cancelled tonight?

Seems strange that the team we all love has been sidelined, and no one is discussing it.

Is it not allowed?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Once the game decides to make everything politically related does that mean we amend the forum rules to allow it?

Only half kidding...but yah, we are essentially suppose to pretend this isn’t happening and once we resume like it never happened. Is what it is, probably for the best.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If you want to try and discuss it without getting political feel free. We made it exactly three posts into the IGT before we had to delete one.

It has nothing to do with political correctness. This board has been politics free since 2008.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd just like to say that the fact that politics has crept its way into every aspect of our lives is disappointing...

I use sports as an escape, not a constant reminder of the way today's world is. Can't watch the news, no matter which side you are on, it's all political. Can't listen to the radio, political. Can't watch sports, political.

Can we just have one aspect of our daily lives that isn't effected by people's political beliefs, and shoving those beliefs down our throats?

This is not a political statement as much as it is just a statement that joy seems to be a thing of the past. There is just no way to sit back, relax, and have yourself a peaceful moment in the times that we are living in.

It sucks.

Pretty hard for this one not to go political unfortunately. Probably for the best.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

but yah, we are essentially suppose to pretend this isn’t happening and once we resume like it never happened.

That is what I meant, pretending like this game didn't just get boycotted by the players seems to be an odd reaction.

I get it, no matter what is said, someone will be offended, so tread lightly, but ignoring it just seems odd for a bunch of hard core Brewers fanatics.

If you want to try and discuss it without getting political feel free. We made it exactly three posts into the IGT before we had to delete one.

It has nothing to do with political correctness. This board has been politics free since 2008.

I don't think the IGT was off the rails at all...I was curious as to why that tread got locked down so quickly. Is it just to stop the future comments from taking place? Every once in a while, it would be nice to be trusted to have a civil conversation. If that doesn't transpire, maybe lock it down, but that thread was pretty innocent as far as I can see.

You yourself said it's sad that politics creeps into everything. We are trying to keep this a place where that does not happen. It is tough to moderate when sports (the Brewers in particular) and politics intersect. We tend to err on the conservative side when that happens. But I understand your frustration/sadness.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sports is committing suicide.

Can we at least wait for the facts to come out in the outrage du jour, or do we have to pick sides immediately and virtue signal?

Sports brings people together. I don’t know what most of your political leanings are, nor do I care. It’s all about the Brewers. But this is 2020 and we aren’t allowed to enjoy anything.

I don't think the IGT was off the rails at all...I was curious as to why that tread got locked down so quickly. Is it just to stop the future comments from taking place? Every once in a while, it would be nice to be trusted to have a civil conversation. If that doesn't transpire, maybe lock it down, but that thread was pretty innocent as far as I can see.

I don't think you saw the post we deleted right before the lock.

And there were a few in the Bucks thread we zapped right before that one got locked.

Sean Doolittle said it best when Summer Camp started in reference to COVID, but I feel like it applies here too, sports are a reward for a functioning society.

So true, and since our society isn't functioning (on any level), we get no reward.

FYI

Brewers will play a doubleheader tomorrow. starts 4:10pm CT

It just blows my mind how far professional athletes, governors, and the general public in general are taking this without knowing much if any facts about the case. In some cases, people will straight up ignore the facts to continue to spew their agenda even if there are facts proving something otherwise. I find it baffling that opinions and assumptions are taken as gospel now by such a large amount of people instead of waiting for facts to come out. What happened to the days where facts were exactly that, facts? Even in some situations, the FACTS will still get dismissed because... well... that’s not what they want to hear or believe.

how is canceling the game political? it's social. disproportionate killings of black men by police affects society.

canceling a game because of a hurricane isn't political. it's social. destruction wreaked by a hurricane affects society.

not talking about all of this is anti-social.

It just blows my mind how far professional athletes, governors, and the general public in general are taking this without knowing much if any facts about the case. In some cases, people will straight up ignore the facts to continue to spew their agenda even if there are facts proving something otherwise. I find it baffling that opinions and assumptions are taken as gospel now by such a large amount of people instead of waiting for facts to come out. What happened to the days where facts were exactly that, facts? Even in some situations, the FACTS will still get dismissed because... well... that’s not what they want to hear or believe.

That's the way the world is now, it's all about optics, trying to be on the right side of issues, making sure not to anger or annoy others, withholding facts if they present an uncomfortable truth.

I understand this board's policy about politics and if this post needs to be removed, I do apologize, but it is a massive disappointment to see a Brewer game postponed due to this.

You know what would have been really moving? They should have gotten equality shirts or something of that nature like the pre-game ones teams have done before, stuck their name/number on them, and then taken the field to play. Heck don’t even put your name number on it. No way MLB stops. Make them let you play or make them cancel it over your social injustice statement. What a moment that would be.

To me, that would have been much more meaningful than canceling a game just to make another public statement on social media and then play the game tomorrow like normal.

Great unity tonight with this occurring between the NBA and MLB but I hope some leaders emerge and take the next step with all of this. Being outraged isn’t enough. The boycott sends a message that there is bigger things than entertainment. That’s about it. A real message is what is next? What will they do to help create change?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sports is committing suicide.

Can we at least wait for the facts to come out in the outrage du jour, or do we have to pick sides immediately and virtue signal?

Sports brings people together. I don’t know what most of your political leanings are, nor do I care. It’s all about the Brewers. But this is 2020 and we aren’t allowed to enjoy anything.

The NBA sure seems to be committing suicide.

I never thought I'd be thankful for someone like Goodell running a league, but using an iron fist to keep the players in line seems to be the way to go.

I'd just like to say that the fact that politics has crept its way into every aspect of our lives is disappointing...

I use sports as an escape, not a constant reminder of the way today's world is. Can't watch the news, no matter which side you are on, it's all political. Can't listen to the radio, political. Can't watch sports, political.

Can we just have one aspect of our daily lives that isn't effected by people's political beliefs, and shoving those beliefs down our throats?

This is not a political statement as much as it is just a statement that joy seems to be a thing of the past. There is just no way to sit back, relax, and have yourself a peaceful moment in the times that we are living in.

It sucks.

The root of this is social media.

Great unity tonight with this occurring between the NBA and MLB but I hope some leaders emerge and take the next step with all of this. Being outraged isn’t enough. The boycott sends a message that there is bigger things than entertainment. That’s about it. A real message is what is next? What will they do to help create change?

I think it's clear they are expecting legal moves in the Blake incident. But what happens if the situation is murkier than it appeared at first glance? I'm not saying one thing or another but "File charges or we don't play" is a bit of a gamble when we have nothing but a video at the moment. And of course, we don't prosecute things based on athletes playing or not.

I support the teams that came to the collective decision they wouldn’t play tonight. I was somewhat surprised by the teams that proceeded despite having players sit out this evening (Cubs Jason Heyward, Cardinals Dexter Fowler and Jack Flaherty).
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived