Brewer Fanatic

2020-08-23: Brewers (Burnes) at Pirates (Brubaker) [Brewers lose, 5-4 -- Pirates Polanco hits 2-run HR off Phelps in 8th]

Eye Black
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the end of the week anyone on a one-year contract should be available for trade.

You might not get much but right now the farm system is so depleted that anything is better than nothing.

It's tough to go down this roster and find any guys on expiring contracts that would return anything at all.

David Phelps might get you a lottery ticket type. That's about it.

By the end of the week anyone on a one-year contract should be available for trade.

You might not get much but right now the farm system is so depleted that anything is better than nothing.

It's tough to go down this roster and find any guys on expiring contracts that would return anything at all.

David Phelps might get you a lottery ticket type. That's about it.

I guess the question is if you let them finish the year do you get compensation picks?

From Mccalvy

Counsell on Phelps vs. Polanco while Hader got loose: "I just wanted [Hader] in case David got in a bind there. It was David’s inning. We were going to give David the inning. Once we got two outs, I got [Hader] up in case something happened there. But it was David’s inning."

So it was Phelps inning because it was Phelps inning.....apparently

From Mccalvy

Counsell on Phelps vs. Polanco while Hader got loose: "I just wanted [Hader] in case David got in a bind there. It was David’s inning. We were going to give David the inning. Once we got two outs, I got [Hader] up in case something happened there. But it was David’s inning."

Counsell has made a lot of strange decisions this season. His use of Hader as a traditional closer instead of the bullpen weapon that he has always been is one of the strangest.

From Mccalvy

I pictured Ned Yost saying this, not Counsell. But apparently Yost is who we have now

Didn't even elicit an emotion from me, just expecting the worst at this point.

sadly, I had the same reaction.

this is just no fun at all.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

From Mccalvy

I pictured Ned Yost saying this, not Counsell. But apparently Yost is who we have now

Eh, or Roenicke with Kameron Loe getting the 8th no matter what.

Yikes!

And they were still more likeable than this team.

I mean, it's four games. If you wanna look back at all four game losing streaks you'll see some bad numbers.

The Rangers are on an eight game losing streak and their ERA in that time frame is 6.89. And I bet their batting average is higher than 188. Consider three of our four losses are against the worst team in baseball and I think those numbers are pretty appalling.

Yikes!

And they were still more likeable than this team.

"This account owner limits who can view their tweets."

Edit: Apparently I'm blocked by him. :laughing

According to

@MLBNetwork

the Brewers have a .188 batting average and an 8.16 ERA during their current 4 game losing streak. That brings back images of the Rueben Quevedo/ Keith Ginger 2002 Brewers...

From Mccalvy

It is extremely disappointing to hear Counsell say something like that. In the past, he's had no hesitation to pull the trigger on asking for anywhere from 4 to 9 outs from Hader. Now he's seemingly transitioned to this Ned Yost/Ron Roenicke clone who is married to the antiquated concept of a guy for an inning.

We had 4 outs to get, it was a 1 run game, it was a lefty/lefty marchup. You could make a strong case for Claudio in that AB let alone Hader just based on matchup.

The Craig Counsell of 2018 and 2019 would have had Hader in to face Polanco, I have zero doubt. I don't know what the 2020 Counsell is doing.

I guess one positive takeaway from this series in Pittsburgh...

Struggling hitters do sometimes break out of their funk. The Pirates have put that possibility on full display this weekend.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Pirates hitters do in the next few series. Are they really breaking out of a funk or is it just the Brewers pitching?

Hehe, Pirates just got no-hit two games later.

Archived