Brewer Fanatic

Brewers DFA Brock Holt; Select Jace Peterson

With more playing time in Washington, Brock Holt seems to have gotten it going for the Nationals.

He got 30 ABs with Milwaukee across 16 games and hit .100/.222/.100

With the Nats he's gotten 26 ABs in 8 games and is hitting .385/.429/.500

Small sample, but maybe what some of these guys need is a little more playing time and less sporadic playing time with match up based lineups.

Or maybe just more time to have more ABs period. It's completely unsurprising that a guy like Holt is starting to revert to career norms, as I'd expect most of the Brewers' horribly under-performing hitters to do as the season extends.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With more playing time in Washington, Brock Holt seems to have gotten it going for the Nationals.

Small sample, but maybe what some of these guys need is a little more playing time and less sporadic playing time with match up based lineups.

Or maybe just more time to have more ABs period. It's completely unsurprising that a guy like Holt is starting to revert to career norms, as I'd expect most of the Brewers' horribly under-performing hitters to do as the season extends.

I am bummed we let go of Holt, but Peterson through a similar number of at-bats has a similar OBP with less slugging. Just too few at bats to draw a conclusion.

I am bummed we let go of Holt, but Peterson through a similar number of at-bats has a similar OBP with less slugging. Just too few at bats to draw a conclusion.

The Nationals are 3-5 in their last eight games. The Brewers are 4-4. Players like Brock Holt, while nice pieces for contenders, just don't really make that much of a difference overall.

The Nationals are 3-5 in their last eight games. The Brewers are 4-4. Players like Brock Holt, while nice pieces for contenders, just don't really make that much of a difference overall.

Such a hopeless feeling when Peterson seems to always be up in key spots and no better option to pinch hit for him. A minor miracle that he was able to walk in the first game against the Cardinals, didn't think he had a chance against the lefty.

Such a hopeless feeling when Peterson seems to always be up in key spots and no better option to pinch hit for him. A minor miracle that he was able to walk in the first game against the Cardinals, didn't think he had a chance against the lefty.

He's worked some walks but I still think he's garbage. It does seem like he's had some important at bats but with the way that a guy like Yelich is swinging it, it really hasn't mattered.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He's worked some walks but I still think he's garbage. It does seem like he's had some important at bats but with the way that a guy like Yelich is swinging it, it really hasn't mattered.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Drawing walks is actually the only thing he's been good at this year (7 in 29 plate appearances) which results in his .414 OBP.

Stearns has a history of signing versatile infielders who were first round picks who never lived up to the potential: Brad Miller, Spangenberg, Peterson, etc. Yet with Jace P., it doesn't make any sense. He's with his fifth organization in the last 6 years, he's never been an average hitter and won't be in the team's long term plans. If the team is seriously about chasing the playoffs they are not maximizing their roster as they have a glut of versatile no-hit middle infielders: Urias, Sogard, Peterson, Arcia and Mathias recently optioned. In this instance they would have been better off keeping Smoak or Morrison around on the bench as they at least have a shot at parking one every now and then. If the Brewers aren't going to make a serious run at the postseason, why not call up Mathias, McKinney, Healy etc. and see if they can demonstrate any reason they should be in the team's future plans.

Drawing walks is actually the only thing he's been good at this year (7 in 29 plate appearances) which results in his .414 OBP.

Stearns has a history of signing versatile infielders who were first round picks who never lived up to the potential: Brad Miller, Spangenberg, Peterson, etc. Yet with Jace P., it doesn't make any sense. He's with his fifth organization in the last 6 years, he's never been an average hitter and won't be in the team's long term plans. If the team is seriously about chasing the playoffs they are not maximizing their roster as they have a glut of versatile no-hit middle infielders: Urias, Sogard, Peterson, Arcia and Mathias recently optioned. In this instance they would have been better off keeping Smoak or Morrison around on the bench as they at least have a shot at parking one every now and then. If the Brewers aren't going to make a serious run at the postseason, why not call up Mathias, McKinney, Healy etc. and see if they can demonstrate any reason they should be in the team's future plans.

I lobbied hard for the Brewers to claim Domingo Santana off waivers when he was available and get rid of Peterson. I just don't understand why we didn't do this, especially given the success Santana has had here in the past. It has been a really, really bad year for David Stearns in my humble opinion.

I lobbied hard for the Brewers to claim Domingo Santana off waivers when he was available and get rid of Peterson. I just don't understand why we didn't do this, especially given the success Santana has had here in the past. It has been a really, really bad year for David Stearns in my humble opinion.

Because Peterson is at least solid defensively. Santana has been atrocious across the board this season.

Because Peterson is at least solid defensively. Santana has been atrocious across the board this season.

I think this is the big point. If Yelich and and Hiura were swinging the bats like they can then this wouldn't be as big an issue because they would probably be above 500 at this point.

I think this is the big point. If Yelich and and Hiura were swinging the bats like they can then this wouldn't be as big an issue because they would probably be above 500 at this point.

Archived