Brewer Fanatic

ARTICLE: Hall of Fame Trial - Tim Â?RockÂ? Raines

I say yes, he was arguably one of the top OF's in the 80's. The guy scored runs like nobodies business. He might be hurt by not geting those 3000 hit but the guy had a nice career average, stole tons of bases and was pretty much unstoppable in the early and mid 80's. 1500+ runs is a awesome testament how often this guy scored. 1330/966 BB/K is something that speaks volumes on his discipline as well.

Not to mention the ridiculous .385 OBP and .810 lifetime OPS the guy should be in. He missed alot of games it seems looking at his stats which I personally dont recall, but had he been healthy (full-timer) he surely wouldve had his 3k hits.

This is more of a question than a response right now. Since I'm too young to know anything about the early 80s other than what I have read, how highly respected was Raines during the span from 81 to 86? I know I always liked him as a kid and thought he was a great player but I missed out on what would have been his best years

This isn't meant to bash on him, or his case for the Hall, as I really don't care much about this stuff, but didn't he get the nickname "Rock" because of his liking of "rock cocaine"?

I was fairly sure that it was for ability to fill out the uni.

"Braggs-esque."

http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/c8/67/65_1.JPGhttp://www.canadianbaseballnews.com/Tim%20Raines/trdonruss90fr216.jpg

8. Management claimed not to know about cocaine addiction of outfielder Tim Raines. Believed nickname of Rock referred to his preference in music.

LINK

Admitted to being a cocaine user and used to get high during games. Raines told reporters that he would keep a vial of coke in his pocket and would slide head-first while stealing to make sure the vial wouldn't break. Perhaps that's where the "Rock" nickname came from...

EDIT: I will add that I voted yes. He has much more of a case than does Dawson, in my opinion. He was putting up .400 OBP when putting up a .400 OBP wasn't cool. He also played on one of my favorite A's teams (1999) along with Stairs, Jaha, Phillips, etc.

Todd, great article, love the series.

Caught Stealing.

I think an important number you left out is caught stealing. I'm not familiar with Raines' career, so I don't know how skilled of a base stealer he was. But if he was caught more regularly than the other base stealing HoF members, that might swing my vote to no.

...well i checked, he had an excellent SB%. Career 84% base stealer. I wonder if that's better than your control group...

thanks again, great work.

There's an argument to be made that Tim Raines, in his prime, may have been the greatest leadoff hitter in NL history. Unfortunately, people didn't really notice his best years because he played in Montreal and Rickey Henderson was establishing his case as the greatest leadoff man of all time.

Robert

Yup...i'd vote for him....OBP...stolen bases with a nice rate...well rounded power hitter (lots of doubles)

2600 hits with 800 sb's...had a great OBP...

he's a hall of famer...even though i'm not sure he'll get in...he never really seemed like a star....kinda like biggi...he was always a really great player, but he was never a superstar...i wonder how that will affect him...

Yep. For 5 or 6 years in the early '80's he was as dominant a player as there was in the game. In addition he has solid career numbers, even though he stayed around way too long past his prime. Good research.

It's probably best to forget the drugs comments, unless you want to also dig up a certain trial transcript (also in the '80's) of a convicted Milwaukee cocaine dealer and his very open dealings with a certain Hall of Fame (to be) Milwaukee Brewer.

I've voted no to every proposition so far without the slightest temptation to vote yes.

Yet I see Tim Raines as a complete 'no brainer' yes vote.

As Robert pointed out, it was his misfortune to play at the same time as Rickey Henderson, but being the second greatest leadoff man of all time isn't exactly chopped liver!

Certainly more deserving than many of the OFers already in the Hall and if you think Molitor belongs (on the whole I do) its very hard to see how you can keep Raines out.

I'm surprized how close the vote is on this one and I'd love to hear some of the justification from the no voters.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'll admit to being a bit torn on this one, but I have decided to vote YES. I think the key for me is to make sure to vote him in not as an OFer, but as a lead off hitter.

His ability to hit for a good average, get on base at a very good rate, and steal bases at a high rate all make him the second best leadoff hitter of the 80s. While I wouldn't go so far as to say he was one of the dominate players of his generation, he was a dominate leadoff hitter, and it's that line of thought that lead me to vote YES.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Archived