Brewer Fanatic

2020-08-21: Brewers (Houser) at Pirates (Kuhl) [Brewers lose, 7-2]

Eye Black

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I thought it might be a nice change of pace to have something to discuss beyond solely the ineptitude of the Brewers offense, I figured we could try something new for a topic:

Whatcha Drinkin’?

When you check in to the thread tonight, feel free to share your beverage of choice for the evening. Whether you’re indulging in an adult beverage or sticking with something non-alcoholic, chime in with what you are drinking on this Friday night.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer kool-aid for me, but I add my own dose of bitters. Some nights more than others.

This is also an excellent answer. :laughing

The lineup is now posted above. I’ll admit I was surprised to see Ben Gamel hitting 5th tonight. Might be a good night for “what are you drinking” after all!

This lineup is so embarrasingly bad. I would rather DH Woodruff than see Sogard and Holt in the lineup together.

You also said the lineup was embarrasingly bad in the August 19 game thread...they scored nine runs.

Hoping for a repeat performance tonight.

This lineup is so embarrasingly bad. I would rather DH Woodruff than see Sogard and Holt in the lineup together.

You also said the lineup was embarrasingly bad in the August 19 game thread...they scored nine runs.

Even bad offenses have big nights. This offense is not good and is really one of the worst in baseball.

2017-2020:

ODgHt8j.png

They're not world beaters and they're better suited as bench players, but I'll still take them in the lineup over any pitcher, including Woody.

Even bad offenses have big nights. This offense is not good and is really one of the worst in baseball.

Yes, the 78 OPS+ they have posted so far is bad, third worst in MLB. (The Pirates OPS+ is 63, speaking of embarrassingly bad)

The good news is that the predictive power of a 23 game sample is small when compared to the predictive power of projections & almost the entire Brewer roster is due for positive regression over the remainder of the season....

Player | 2020 OPS+ / ZIPS Proj OPS+ | Difference

(Positive Regression Likely Incoming)

Holt | -6 / 95 | -101

Omar | 20 / 106 | -86

Gamel | 41 / 86 | -45

Braun | 62 / 107 | -45 

Smoak | 69 / 106 | -37

Yelich | 117 / 149 | -32  

Sogard | 56 / 85 | -29

Avisail | 88 / 107 | -19  

(Just About Right, But Still Underperforming Slightly)

Keston | 107 / 115 | -8

Gyorko | 93 / 98 | -5

(Negative Regression Likely Incoming)

Urias | 113 / 95 | +18

Arcia | 97 / 75 | +22

Manny | 106 / 78 | +28

I'll take the over on the Brewers finishing the season with a 78 OPS+.

This lineup just doesn’t look like a playoff caliber squad. I think they are pretty lucky to have as many wins as they do. I’m glad to see some young arms showing some promise thus far in 2020 though. Small step back this year I think, but it should pay off with a big step forward next season.

This lineup just doesn’t look like a playoff caliber squad. I think they are pretty lucky to have as many wins as they do. I’m glad to see some young arms showing some promise thus far in 2020 though. Small step back this year I think, but it should pay off with a big step forward next season.

I feel this has been the Brewers of the last few years. Offense is a anemic for a stretch and looks like they shouldn't have as many wins as they have. Probably a testament to Counsell and his late game management getting wins.

Miller Lite pint cans. 16 of em. I may get through the case depending on how our bats look.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Since I thought it might be a nice change of pace to have something to discuss beyond solely the ineptitude of the Brewers offense, I figured we could try something new for a topic:

Whatcha Drinkin’?

When you check in to the thread tonight, feel free to share your beverage of choice for the evening. Whether you’re indulging in an adult beverage or sticking with something non-alcoholic, chime in with what you are drinking on this Friday night.

Adding this reminder to the top of the second page for those who join late and miss the first page.

For my drink of choice this evening, I picked up a 4-pack of the Working Draft Beer Company’s Pulp Culture IPA. I have had other beers from Working Draft, but this is my first time sipping this particular beverage.

I have been a home brewer off and on since the early 80's.

I hope to have a Bourbon Barrel Old Oak Ale. It is a dark beer that sits in the secondary for 6 - 12 months with a cup of bourbon soaked oak chips.

I have friends who had guests from Germany who had some. They wanted to meet the master brewer. It was the best beer they have had. Sadly I was out of town that day.

Go Brewers!!!

Archived