Brewer Fanatic

2020-08-13: Brewers (Anderson) at Cubs (Darvish) [Brewers lose, 4-2]

Eye Black
If the roster was built for 162, fine. But use it for the 60. Set your lineup, stop jacking it around and get them in a rhythm. It’s just not the time for irregular at bats.

I've never been a big fan of platoons, but Counsell and Stearns have leaned into that idea in a big way this year. It's annoying. Platoons work when you have a ton of talented bench players like the Dodgers have. That's not what the Brewers have, though. As meh as it sounds, Gyorko should probably be taking the vast majority of the ABs at 3B. Urias at SS, Hiura at 2B. Get them in a routine.

And Manny needs some games against right-handers.

Narvaez stinks.

He really doesn't, at least offensively. Determinations shouldn't be made on 17 games when a guy has over 1,000 at bats of solid offensive production.

I mean, it's entirely possible that the adjustment to a new league he's never played in, on top of learning a whole new pitching staff, with a little COVID weirdness sprinkled in, may be playing a part in his slow start. He should get more of a mulligan.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moustakas- hurt but was doing well thru 7 games

Thames- OPS in the .500’s

Grandal- OPS in the .600’s

Shaw- smashing the ball

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That should for sure be an error in Arcia. That was terrible.

It's just a bad lack of fundamentals. There's no reason to field that ball to the side and spin before throwing it.

I've seen enough of Arcia. That goof drives me crazy.

Shaw- smashing the ball

The same Shaw who no one around here wanted to give another shot to, when we had a Moustakas-sized hole at 3B this offseason?

Correct. Although he was done with us as well. He was mentally fried here.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To be fair to Stearns, this roster was constructed with a 162-game season in mind. Building for 60, with Cain opting out and Urias missing a lot of time, is a completely different thing.

I have seen a lot of people say that this team was built for 162 games, not 60. How so? Imagine having to watch this roster for 162 games? I'm thankful we only have to watch it for 60 games.

We signed a bunch of guys that would be bench players on most teams, and promptly used them as starters. That is a bad idea from the very beginning. Hoping they could get hot for some odd reason seems to be a short term solution (60 games), not a long term solution (162 games).

Yup, we didn't know we'd be minus Cain, that has hurt. Now that Urias IS healthy, he still isn't getting on the field due to our manager's inability to turn in a competent roster.

If Counsell isn't going to play him why did we make that trade?

Not a bad outing there for Anderson.

He managed to not crap the bed after looking like it might happen the first couple innings. Still, two straight relatively short starts by our two lefties in the rotation isn't ideal.

To be fair, he is still being stretched out a bit after having the finger issue.

Just a reminder that Andy Haines was just the understudy of the hitting coach of a woefully underperforming Cubs offense in 2018 (who was then fired). That was his resume when we hired him.

I never understood why we hired him.

I'm firmly of the opinion that one should never hire a "good" hitting coach with a great reputation. That way when the bats go cold for the whole team at once it makes it really easy fix to just fire the hitting coach. In some sense all baseball coaches are hired to be fired, but that might actually the case for a hitting coach.

Tune in to see Urias and Pina not in the lineup again. Brewers being no hit. Hard to believe the first one. Not hard to believe the second.

When you really think about it, it probably isn't hard to believe the first one, either.

Unfortunately you are correct.

I'm definitely annoyed with Urias being relegated to the bench most days. We gave up too much to be treating him like a utility infielder. You don't see the Padres sitting Grisham, ever. You gave up Grisham and Davies for this guy, he is intended to be a big part of the future. Find out. I don't buy that he needs to be babied back in. He's 23. You already have a very short season to get him reps. Play him.

Between that and how they've decided to use Hader you've got two big time managing head-scratchers so far this year. Why would Brock Holt be in a lineup with Urias on the bench like ever? Unless it's an injury thing

Shaw- smashing the ball

Jesus- .311 .353 .622 .975

Archived