Brewer Fanatic

2020-08-13: Brewers (Anderson) at Cubs (Darvish) [Brewers lose, 4-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Urias was going to play he should be for Arcia who is 0-10 with 6K agains Yu. Sogard has a .825 OPS in 24 at bats. Pina is only 0-2 vs. him so he must sit every time he pitches.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The team should have a contest and pick a random fan to be hitting coach. Whoever it ends up being can't be any worse than Haines.

The random fan may also be an analytics nerd who never played professionally. They probably were never the assistant hitting coach of the most underachieving offense in baseball, so edge to the fan.

To be fair to Stearns, this roster was constructed with a 162-game season in mind. Building for 60, with Cain opting out and Urias missing a lot of time, is a completely different thing.

That said, I agree that these guys look pretty bad.

This offense sucks whether the season is 60 or 162 games long. I don't get why anyone thinks this team would be better with a longer schedule.

Saying this team is built for 162 games is just a poor excuse. Bad is bad. Sure the pitchers were expected to grow over 162 games, but Houser has been great, Peralta has been decent, Burnes has done well, and the bullpen has been great. All the inexperienced guys have been really good.

The problem is Stearn’s veteran acquisitions...which have been anywhere from disappointments to disgraces.

To be fair to Stearns, this roster was constructed with a 162-game season in mind. Building for 60, with Cain opting out and Urias missing a lot of time, is a completely different thing.

I have seen a lot of people say that this team was built for 162 games, not 60. How so? Imagine having to watch this roster for 162 games? I'm thankful we only have to watch it for 60 games.

We signed a bunch of guys that would be bench players on most teams, and promptly used them as starters. That is a bad idea from the very beginning. Hoping they could get hot for some odd reason seems to be a short term solution (60 games), not a long term solution (162 games).

Yup, we didn't know we'd be minus Cain, that has hurt. Now that Urias IS healthy, he still isn't getting on the field due to our manager's inability to turn in a competent roster.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Let's be honest. This roster is top heavy. Without Yelich and Hiura hitting like MVPs, the offense was likely going to struggle, and that's exactly what we're seeing. I fully expect that those two will eventually get it together and hit consistently, but I fear in a 60 game season, it may be too late.

Really no complaints on the pitching so far, other than Anderson looking predictably meh and Lauer looking like a gas can. Lindbloom has been pretty much as advertised. He's being paid like a #4, and has looked the part so far.

I think this:

Garcia is not as bad as he's looked. Narvaez is not as bad as he's looked. Sogard has been pretty much exactly what we thought. In a normal year, we'd be halfway through April. Maybe 162 is no different than 60, but the condensed schedule means judgments happen more quickly.

Look, I'm not trying to be an apologist for this lineup. It looks really, really bad. And CC has made weird choices. But what are we really quibbling with re: Stearns? Are folks really saying we know enough to say Garcia and Narvaez are terrible? I mean, Smoak and LoMo, they were cast offs and crappy, and we were hoping they'd be hot. They're not. But that's like one scrap-heap signing we're complaining about.

It's a different conversation if folks think Garcia and Narvaez are going to be bad bad for a while. Then I think we just disagree, and that's okay. For me, jury's out on those two guys, and I won't burn Stearns at this point (yet).

Archived