Brewer Fanatic

2020 Standings and Playoff Races Discussion

Eye Black
Cardinals (26-24)

Opponents: Royals (3), Brewers (5), Tigers (0 to 2 games depending on need)

What is the breakdown on when those games are needed? When would they play them?

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have such mixed feelings about this playoff chase. Clearly, I'm rooting for the Brewers, but I REALLY don't want THIS season to be the one where they win the World Series. Not that they will, but if they make the playoffs, there's always a chance. I just can't imagine looking back at this 60-game, opt-out, massive playoff field season with joy and wonder.

Why would you worry about that?

If the two choices are (1) winning the World Series this year (as unlikely as that is), or (2) never winning the World Series in your lifetime (which in my case is about a 99% probability, which would you take?

It’s not as if winning this year would preclude or make it less likely that they could win some other time.

I started this season thinking that I wasn't very excited about baseball. Or sports. I can still live without sports. I'll always be able to live without anything non-essential. Sports are entertainment. But..... if the Brewers were to romp through the playoffs and hoist the crown, I'd be excited as any other championship.

Like you said, if the choice is this or nothing, let's take it!

Cardinals (26-24)

Opponents: Royals (3), Brewers (5), Tigers (0 to 2 games depending on need)

What is the breakdown on when those games are needed? When would they play them?

This hasn’t been widely reported has far as I’ve seen, so I am trusting Haudricourt (slightly dangerous) who reported to following last week. Below are some of his many Tweets on this subject (LINK #1, LINK #2):

So, had long talk with @dgoold, Cardinals beat writer and possibilities at season's end for that team are fascinating. If they need to make up games vs. Detroit, which definitely could happen, they would play either one or two on Monday, Sept. 28, whatever is necessary.

—————————————

If Cardinals don't need to make up those games vs. Detroit, they won't. If they need to make up one, they will. If need to make up both, would play a doubleheader (two seven-inning games). Tigers are scheduled home team but possibly could play in St. Louis. TBD.

—————————————

So makeup games on Monday, Sept. 28 between Tigers and Cardinals supposedly are in play, according to my information. Going to be fascinating to see how this all plays out.

—————————————

The reason Cardinals and Tigers could play makeups after season in St. Louis is because Detroit finishes in nearby KC. So, would be travel-wise easier. Obviously, Tigers would bat last as "home" team. Everything TBD right now. Hard to imagine those games won't be needed.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I have such mixed feelings about this playoff chase. Clearly, I'm rooting for the Brewers, but I REALLY don't want THIS season to be the one where they win the World Series. Not that they will, but if they make the playoffs, there's always a chance. I just can't imagine looking back at this 60-game, opt-out, massive playoff field season with joy and wonder.

I mean, which team would you prefer win the world series instead of the Brewers?

Dodgers. They win their division year after year and own all the best talent, and THIS stupid-ass season is finally the one where they win it all.

I'd rather have my favorite team, the Brewers, win the world series.

For the record we would lose a tiebreaker to the Phillies, but win against the Giants. Don’t think there is any way for it to shake out differently.

With the Reds I believe we would have to have a better divisional record to end up in a tie scenario...thus we win there too.

The Cardinals could be a glorious mess.

If you are interested in either the Cardinals possible scenarios (including the tentative double header in Detroit on Monday) or just the overall playoff picture and tiebreaker scenarios, these two articles have you covered...

Goold: What's the deal with the doubleheader in Detroit? What if Cardinals, Reds, Brewers tie? (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)

Passan: Inside a final week like MLB has never seen before (ESPN.com)

For at least this next few minutes the Brewers, Phillies, and Giants are all currently tied for the 8th playoff spot! Since the Phillies are about to start game two of their double header, and the Giants and Brewers also obviously play this evening it’s all subject to change again soon.

I guess this is exactly what they had in mind with the expanded playoffs. Brewers could wind up anywhere from the 5th seed to out of the picture all together. The Giants still very much alive and Philadelphia with a outside chance. Last weekend if the season and only 5 teams are playing out the string

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I found it interesting that even with the short season and the expanded field, the American league had absolutely zero compelling races. The national league has all kinds of excitement going down to the wire and is going to have probably four teams that are essentially 500 teams. I would love to see the national league have a 28 or 29 win team sneak into the world series. I feel like that would be fantastic.

I found it interesting that even with the short season and the expanded field, the American league had absolutely zero compelling races. The national league has all kinds of excitement going down to the wire and is going to have probably four teams that are essentially 500 teams. I would love to see the national league have a 28 or 29 win team sneak into the world series. I feel like that would be fantastic.

Yeah, the stark contrast between AL & NL is pretty interesting this year.

In the AL there are 6 teams with 30+ wins, 7 teams with 24 or less & only 2 in the middle.

NL on the flip side has 4 teams with 32+ wins, 5 teams with 24 or less & the other 6 clumped in the middle.

I guess this is exactly what they had in mind with the expanded playoffs. Brewers could wind up anywhere from the 5th seed to out of the picture all together. The Giants still very much alive and Philadelphia with a outside chance. Last weekend if the season and only 5 teams are playing out the string

Giants are in the most trouble. They have to play the Padres and they have the worst divisional record at 15-18. They are just as far back as the Phillies in reality since they can’t tie any of the teams jockeying for a WC spot. The Giants have to end up with a better record to get in.

Not sure why the Phillies only have an outside chance. Phillies have to play the Rays, but they do have a more favorable record within their division at 20-17. A win and a Brewers loss dramatically flips the table in their favor in my opinion. Even if they are still a game back after today they still have a decent shot.

On another note I don’t really care about the opponent if we get in. I think our pitching in a 3 game series will give us a shot at anyone. Woodruff and Burnes gives us a chance at two great ace-like outings and we will also have two serious bullpen weapons in Hader/Williams. Honestly I’d almost prefer the Dodgers and have a shot to embarrass them in the first round. This Brewers team isn’t going to make the World Series and certainly won’t win it. They aren’t that good and they don’t have the team to get that hot. Might as well go for the exciting first round match up.

Not sure why the Phillies only have an outside chance. Phillies have to play the Rays, but they do have a more favorable record within their division at 20-17. A win and a Brewers loss dramatically flips the table in their favor in my opinion. Even if they are still a game back after today they still have a decent shot.

The Phillies lost twice to the Nationals yesterday so their intradivision record is now 20-19 with one division game left today against the Nationals.

After the Brewers win yesterday their intradivision record is 17-17.

The Phillies lost twice to the Nationals yesterday so their intradivision record is now 20-19 with one division game left today against the Nationals.

Crazy to think in a tie situation, the Brewers inability to put away the Pirates (esp. that late August three game sweep) this year will keep them out of the playoffs. Pittsburgh went 8-19 against rest of the NL Central.

I don't have deep analysis, but I wonder whether this highly unbalanced schedule might be concealing to some extent which teams are good and which are mediocre. The Central divisions have more solid to really good teams than not, and I think last I checked both Central divisions have collectively more runs scored than allowed. Yeah, Pittsburgh is terrible, and KC and Detroit are not great, but there are 7 / 10 playoff quality teams. Normally the competition would even out over a season, but this year?

Community Moderator
I don't have deep analysis, but I wonder whether this highly unbalanced schedule might be concealing to some extent which teams are good and which are mediocre. The Central divisions have more solid to really good teams than not, and I think last I checked both Central divisions have collectively more runs scored than allowed. Yeah, Pittsburgh is terrible, and KC and Detroit are not great, but there are 7 / 10 playoff quality teams. Normally the competition would even out over a season, but this year?

The metrics seem to suggest that the Reds and Mets in particular are way better than their record. The Mets are a real mystery--top-5 offense, above-average pitching, elite #1 starter, elite closer. In a 162-game season they would certainly be a dangerous playoff team.

Thanks, standings I looked at weren't updated yet.

Archived